Thread: Any predictions on the Hybrid?

Hybrid View

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Any predictions on the Hybrid?

I see more and more pro's are getting these already. latest is Neil giraldo from pat benatar's band. alway liked the dudes playing!
    does anyone think there is a chance is may bump up next to a JB as duncans best seller?

Varg

Default Re: Any predictions on the Hybrid?

No chance. Guys that dont really know about replacement pickups still have an idea about the JB and will go for that first.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Varg View Post
    No chance. Guys that dont really know about replacement pickups still have an idea about the JB and will go for that first.
    yeah you r probably right, but i think if the word gets out about what the hybrid really can do and sounds like, it will sell like a mofo, there is NO hype on this pup at all,it really is the best of both worlds in one model

Ultimate Tone Slacker Ashurbanipal's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

People might be attracted merely by the term 'hybrid' and go for it, without necessarily knowing the technicalities involved. It's more straightforward and rhetorically exotic than Dimarzio's 'dual resonance', which sounds far more scientific and not patently comprehensible - I don't think they explain it anywhere on their site, while with SD you know off the bat what the pu is comprised of.
    Quote Originally Posted by dominus View Post
    Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Most pros will get it to sound more environmentally friendly, thinking it's made with recycled materials.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown Note View Post
    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had **** and was on fire!
    My Blog

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was just thinking in terms of a pup that has a tone of the PAF and the power of a pup like a JB. the hybrid really does cover all that middle ground between a PAF and JB or DSD.

Varg

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hunter View Post
    I was just thinking in terms of a pup that has a tone of the PAF and the power of a pup like a JB. the hybrid really does cover all that middle ground between a PAF and JB or DSD.
    I could see it possibly selling better than the JB amongst certain sections of the guitar playing world - meaning guys that actually have a good idea of what tones they want and how to get them.
    But in terms of actual, overall sales, the amount of people just looking for a quick and established upgrade for their Epiphone or superstrat will most likely keep buying the JB.
    At least until some classic, iconic albums are made using the Hybrid. The JB has been the backbone of quite a few classic bands (Megadeth for example).

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Varg View Post
    I could see it possibly selling better than the JB amongst certain sections of the guitar playing world - meaning guys that actually have a good idea of what tones they want and how to get them.
    But in terms of actual, overall sales, the amount of people just looking for a quick and established upgrade for their Epiphone or superstrat will most likely keep buying the JB.
    At least until some classic, iconic albums are made using the Hybrid. The JB has been the backbone of quite a few classic bands (Megadeth for example).
    I agree one thing i keep forgettin is how many OEM guitars have a JB stock in them! that alone made the JB a super seller. so unless the hybrid takes the place of the JB OEM i think your are right the JB will stay king of sales and popularity. They tried to phase in the SH14 or TB14 custom5 in some guitars and it did not go over very well. I personally do not care for the C5 at all,,i tried my best to like it but its lacks of mids and boosted bass make it unusable for me. reminded me of a very bland over bassed,under midranged JB,real flat like soda left out for hours and hours!LOL

Varg

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hunter View Post
    I agree one thing i keep forgettin is how many OEM guitars have a JB stock in them! that alone made the JB a super seller. so unless the hybrid takes the place of the JB OEM i think your are right the JB will stay king of sales and popularity. They tried to phase in the SH14 or TB14 custom5 in some guitars and it did not go over very well. I personally do not care for the C5 at all,,i tried my best to like it but its lacks of mids and boosted bass make it unusable for me. reminded me of a very bland over bassed,under midranged JB,real flat like soda left out for hours and hours!LOL
    I had a Custom 5 in a cheap Epi 310 SG and I thought it rocked. Never tried one in anything else.

Super Toneologist Archer_of_Fish's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was thinking of buying 2 of them and making a 59 and a Custom 5.
    Gravity...its just a theory

Varg

Quote Originally Posted by Archer_of_Fish View Post
    I was thinking of buying 2 of them and making a 59 and a Custom 5.
    Weird idea, waaaay out there. I can see it catching on though.

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think the hybrid WILL be hot. In a sense the pro's have already popularized the 59 sound. Most beginners I hear are playing classic rock before doin' 80s stuff. Now if one local kid pops a hybrid in his epi or ibby, the sound is just SSsOOOO...

I mean, the JB changed my life religiously, cuz I was nostalgic for L. A. Metal. But the hybrid made my supercrappy guitar sound super state of the art- no lie. When I made this demo, REGRETTABLY I forgot to do a clean sample & an unplugged sample of my dead, buzzy strings: AmAzInG clean-just sparkling shiny tone-y it just pretty much turns vinegar into wine. THAT ax should NOT sound anywhere near a USA Strat thru a Fender but clean it so does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xJ02...eature=channel

So Im betting it's a matter of time for it to go viral, especially in this economy.

Ultimate Tone Member LonePhantom's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After testing one for the past week I've been pretty impressed, and won't be surprised if people start taking to them, maybe not at the same level as the JB, but still in a big way.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just ordered one to replace a JB in a new Charvel and am hoping the output better matches the 2 strat pups in this guitar. Looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Dave
    www.recordla.com
    Professional music producer for the singer/songwriter or band. 4 room facility in Los Angeles

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just popped one in my Charvel wild card 5 tonight and replaced the JB that was in there. Wow! This thing sounds great. There's tons of sustain and the harmonics seem to easily jump out. It's not midrangey like the jb is (on this guitar) and seems more balanced. Also, this is being tested going through a Peavey C30 with the gain at #5 an volume at 2. I know that doesn't mean much to people but lets just say it sounds impressive with these moderate settings and no pedals. The clean sound is very nice an articulate and works nicely in the 2-3 spot with the stk-s4 that came stock. I likey.
    Dave
    www.recordla.com
    Professional music producer for the singer/songwriter or band. 4 room facility in Los Angeles