Thread: Alnico II Pro (APH-1) bridge model in neck?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Alnico II Pro (APH-1) bridge model in neck?

Hello! This is my first post and I'd like to throw an interesting question out there.

So I have this 1979 Washburn Falcon (if you see one do yourself a favor and buy it!) that I bought back in December, it came with a damaged bridge pickup so I put a Custom Custom in it's place, however, at the time I also decided to replace the neck pup with a Duncan and I decided to get an Alnico II Pro bridge version because I thought it would make a better match given the SH-11 output.

Anyway, now I find myself pondering whether that was a good idea or if I should have bought the regular neck version instead. It sounds fine to me, but I have no experience with this model so I don't know if it sounds like the neck version is supposed to sound, albeit the slightly increased output :-S

What's your take on this?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Alnico II Pro (APH-1) bridge model in neck?

Well really if its working for you and you like the tone what is the problem? Sure pickups are labeled neck and bridge but but its more a suggestion that a rule. Some pickusp work just fine in either slot some not so much just depends. If the bridge version isnt overpowering the CC you have the bridge and your happy with the tone I say have it at it and enjoy
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The bridge model has a few more winds, it will be slightly hotter, probably a bit smoother with less high end and more mids.

Nothin wrong with a bridge PAF in the neck, sometimes they are even better than the neck model!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcthejester13 View Post
    Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm5iA4Zupek

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I used this combo on my Les Paul for years and it worked great.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well right I believe I have found my ideal pickup height, before the bass on the APH-1 was really "off" for the lack of a better word, and it has lovely treble response in string 1 to 3 and strings 4 to 6 have a loose bass sound that I sort of like (nothing like the custom but that is a good thing :-). I think I'll leave like that unless I change to lower output pickups, but the thing is I can't make a comparison to how the neck version should sound, I'm paranoid that I'm losing on better tone that the neck version would provide me :-S
    Last edited by raul693; 04-16-2012 at 08:52 AM.
    Electrics: 1979 Washburn Falcon with Custom Custom and Alnico Pro II bridge version in the neck & A very rare Yamaha MG-MII Tak Matsumoto signature model . Both are played through a Laney CUB12.

Acoustics: Walden CG4070 and a 25+ year old Giannini classical

Pedals: Boss DD-7 delay , Proco Rat 2 and Danelectro Cool Cat Vibe.

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had that EXACT combo (Custom Custom in the bridge and AIIPro bridge in the neck) and it is wonderful. Probably the best combination of pick ups I've tried. I replaced the CC with a regular Custom, but the AII Pro bridge in the neck has stayed. I've tried a couple other neck models and keep putting it back in. Wonderful neck pup.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by raul693 View Post
    but the thing is I can't make a comparison to how the neck version should sound, I'm paranoid that I'm losing on better tone that the neck version would provide me :-S
    Like OILPIT said...The neck pup will be slightly brighter, more highs, less mids and less output than the bridge model.

Only you can decide what is "better".
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    Like OILPIT said...The neck pup will be slightly brighter, more highs, less mids and less output than the bridge model.

Only you can decide what is "better".
    I guess you're right so I think I'll definitely keep it this way, I'm pretty satisfied with brightness from the current set up :-)

I replaced the CC with a regular Custom
    Really? I tried the Custom SH-5 first but it turned out to be way too trebly (I use the tone knob but this was unbearable, of course, my guitar is has an ash body, maple/walnut neck-trough, ebony fingerboard and the nut as well as the saddles are brass (and it sustains for days).

I've been considering putting the leftover Custom (with a 250k pot) on this Yamaha YG1212 (H-s-s) I kind of have my eyes set on, it has ash body, 25.5maple neck and ebony fingerboard. Do you think it could work on that axe?
    Electrics: 1979 Washburn Falcon with Custom Custom and Alnico Pro II bridge version in the neck & A very rare Yamaha MG-MII Tak Matsumoto signature model . Both are played through a Laney CUB12.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If not, just swap out the ceramic mag for an A8. Then it will sound just fine.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    If not, just swap out the ceramic mag for an A8. Then it will sound just fine.
    Exactly what I was going to say =). I love the regular Custom and like the bit of the treble and the aggressiveness overall but of course it's not for everyone. A magnet swap may just be the ticket for you.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bass response in the Custom is crazy (though I've never heard a Tone Zone), great for rock, too much for blues in my opinion. Probably the 250k pot should do the trick, if not I'll have to hunt down an alnico 8 bar, cause I have no clue where to get them here :-S

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by raul693 View Post
    Bass response in the Custom is crazy (though I've never heard a Tone Zone), great for rock, too much for blues in my opinion. Probably the 250k pot should do the trick, if not I'll have to hunt down an alnico 8 bar, cause I have no clue where to get them here :-S
    Totally agree. The Custom is a beast. If I were mainly a blues player it would not be my main pick up. I'm mainly a hard rock/metal player and for that it's perfect. It can do the other styles I play well enough and does those excellently =).