Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JB mod... what to expect?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default JB mod... what to expect?

JB with ceramic magnet and allen screws...

How this mod will change the sound of the JB? Will it be too harsh sounding?
    Last edited by crguti; 04-23-2012 at 05:24 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: JB mod... what to expect?

I personally don't like the ceramic sound...the harsh attack and brittle high end, so hopefully someone less biased will give you their opinions.

But, FWIW, I'm sure it would be too harsh/bright for my taste. But some really like that sound. Everyone is unique with their own set of likes and dislikes. What I call bright and harsh, someone else may call very toneful.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A super D perhaps?

Anyway, as Bill Lawrence says, ceramic and magnets in general don't have a sound, so it's absurd to say ceramic is "harsh".

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

depends on the guitar
    mind you, i'd probably dig that in a chopping board

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My JBJ has seen so much magnets in its life. And here are the winners: A8 goes in the same direction but 10 times better than ceramic in a JB. A2 has a lower volume and more warmth, but currently my JB is stock again (great third prize to the stock A5). Forget about the rest.
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so -Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lombard_Duke View Post
    Anyway, as Bill Lawrence says, ceramic and magnets in general don't have a sound, so it's absurd to say ceramic is "harsh".
    What's absurd is to make such a ridiculous statement in regards to the question. Of course magnets do not have a sound. Niether do pickups, nor do amplifiers. They all produce or have an effect on an electrical signal which eventually gets to a speaker (transducer) which produces pressure waves which are interpreted by the ears as "sound".

But ceramic magnets have a very profound effect on the perceived sound of the pup which it is installed in, which is very different from the effect of an alnico mag.

The OP, imo, is asking what change in sound from the JB will be apparent if the stock mag is replaced by a ceramic mag.

So, compared to a pup with an alnico mag, the same pup with a ceramic mag may be interpreted as sounding harsh. But, nevertheless, this is very subjective and different people will hear it differently.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

^ I agree.

I have changed the fillister for allen screws (from a paf pro) and the sound is much tighter. I like how the JB is sounding now, tight & clear. I'm gonna keep it like this for some time then I'm gonna swap the magnet.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    What's absurd is to make such a ridiculous statement in regards to the question. Of course magnets do not have a sound. Niether do pickups, nor do amplifiers. They all produce or have an effect on an electrical signal which eventually gets to a speaker (transducer) which produces pressure waves which are interpreted by the ears as "sound".
    The only ridiculous statement I see here is yours.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by misterwhizzy View Post
    Here we have a second troll, it seems, unless you consider Bill Lawrence another troll:

When I read that ceramic magnets sound harsh and alnico magnets sound sweet, I ask myself, " Who the hell preaches such nonsense?" There are harsh-sounding pickups with alnico magnets and sweet-sounding pickups with ceramic magnets and vice-versa! A magnet by itself has no sound, and as a part of a pickup, the magnet is simply the source to provide the magnetic field for the strings. The important factor is the design of a magnetic circuit which establishes what magnet to use.

Though ceramic magnets cost less than alnico magnets of equal size, a well-designed magnetic circuit using ceramic magnets costs much more than the six Alnico 5 magnets of a traditional single coil pickup!

http://billlawrence.com/Pages/Pickupology/magnets.htm

Try again, troll and speak more nonsense!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh dude please, STFU.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A JB with a ceramic magnet is pretty much a Duncan Distortion.

And, contrary to what Bill (William, Wylde, & Becky) Lawrence preaches, magnets do matter. I have used a Bill Lawrence Keystone humbucker that disappointed me with its Alnico V magnet while I rather enjoy the ceramic Dimebucker that replaced it. As stated earlier in the thread, of course magnets have no sound themselves, but do alter the magnetic field response that is later changed into sound by the speakers. Lawrence's statements are ones I have trouble taking seriously.

More on topic, a friend of mine uses a JB while I use a Duncan Distortion. Both pickups have some similarities, but the difference between the two is entirely in the magnet that is used; the pickups do not sound the same.

The blanket statement that ceramic is harsh while alnico is sweet isn't entirely fitting, but does help describe the treble response over 4 kz between the two. The feeling of tightness in the bass is a little different between the two as well. I find the biggest difference to be in the way the mid frequencies respond. The Distortion has a very throaty growl to it while the JB has its frequency peaks pushed into the upper mids, more of a breathy crunch in the 3-6khz range.
    Last edited by Grindspine; 04-24-2012 at 09:48 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

^ you're right, the JB already has a lot of upper mids and I'm afraid that a ceramic magnet will increase the highs making the JB too harsh which I won't be able to tame down.
    so far I like the JB with allen screws.
    Last edited by crguti; 04-24-2012 at 04:41 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I dont know whether you guys understand the physics behind pickups or not. But both of you are right.
    Yes, magnets dont have a sound,
    But in a given pickup a stronger magnet (ceramic) sound harsher/brighter than a weaker Alnico: BL Lawrence did a lot of versions of his L500 over the decades. i have a modern ceramic (made in the 90ies) and a alnico version (made in 1983) and ... they sound somewhat similar. The construction nethertheless is completely different. He used different steel blades, metal alloys and dimensions of the parts, probably different wires and different windings numbers/tensions/patterns (that cant be cleared without destroying the pickups). In short BL found a way to compensate for the magnet strength and alloy.
    And yes ... a ceramic sound harsher in given JB. Full stop!
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so -Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky

Cat In The Hatministrator stevie_bees's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lighten up in here fellas. Everyone is entitled to express their opinion without people jumping all over it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Stevie...You're absolutely right that everyone is entitled to express an opinion. Unfortunately, The Lombard Duke did NOT express an opinion, he made a ridiculous statement and called any opinion other than his as being absurd.

I think an attitude like that deserves to be jumped on (especially when the implications of his statement in relation to the OP's question are wrong).

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are harsh-sounding pickups with alnico magnets and sweet-sounding pickups with ceramic magnets and vice-versa!
    What you just said is so true.

But, did you even pay attention to what you just said??!!

What you are doing with that statement is comparing different pickups, each with different bobbins, base plates, wire gauge, wire type, amount of wire, and wind patterns. But the illustration in question here is A PARTICULAR pickup, the "JB" (wire, wind, etc all being equal) and only comparing the affect of different magnets on the sound of THAT pup. It is an indisputable fact that different magnet types will affect the sound of THAT pup differently! Or are you going to tell me that a Duncan Custom, a Custom 5, a Custom Custom, and a C8 all sound identical (after all the magnet has no sound, right? The magnet only produces a magnetic field, right?)!

... as a part of a pickup, the magnet is simply the source to provide the magnetic field for the strings. !
    Sooo wrong. If this were true, there would be no need whatsoever for different magnet types (A2, A3, A4, A5, UOA5, A8, A9, Ceramic, smooth, roughcast, etc.). All they would have to do is to be, ........well,......magnetic.

Let me make one thing very clear...

THE LOMBARD DUKE, I really appreciate your opinion, as well as everyone elses. But, PLEASE, if it is your opinion, express it as your opinion without calling everyone else's "absurd". And if you truly believe your opinion to be true because Bill Lawrence says so, so be it. But you could also use a little common sense, logic, physics, and experience to recognize the truth.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

GuitarDoc... I respect your opinion but it isn't necessary to discuss with Lombard_Duke. He doesn't have an opinion by himself, he's just passing an information by other people. I bet he hasn't even changed a magnet yet.

Mate, if you have an allen screw, just put one in the low E and you inmediately will notice the difference. If you like to play metal with lot of fast palm mute, the allen screw is the ticket.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Would using a 250k pot with the modded JB tame the harshness?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

^ I don't know, but according to some people... yes, it'll tame the harshness. Maybe someone with more experience about this topic will chime in.