Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EVH pickup questions.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: EVH pickup questions.

In the UK the aged version is £325 compared to £125 for the non aged version.... that's a hell of a markup for some rust and sanding !!!!!!!
    A fool and his money eh ??

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wolf5150 View Post
    Listen mate, please ignore all this crap about how an Alnico magnet doesn't suit this or that..
    A magnet doesn't have a "sound" and this forum is getting totally out of hand in this regard.
    Any maker will tell you that you can make a pickup sound any way you want, with whatever magnet you want.
    Tom Anderson uses Neodynium for pete's sake !!

Your question is quite simple to answer without all the cork sniffing nonsense.
    The Wolfgang is high output and the Franky is medium and brighter toned.
    Choose based on that aspect.. who cares how it's made ????????
    If you don't like comments on the science behind pickups and magnets, then go to ultimate guitar or harmony central. Those idiots would love more baseless reviews.

If all pickups and magnets sounded the same, Duncan would be out of business.

The OP asked what pickup (between 2 choices) would be better for pop punk. Given that some of us play the music, and have the experience, it's easy which one to choose. Alnico II aka Franky is better for ZZ Top and Van Halen I than it is for Blink 182 or Sum 41. Can you buy a sh!t ton of effects and tighten up the flubb? Sure! Or you could just buy the wolfie pickup instead.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Your reply is total nonsense and classic of the cork sniffer mentality.
    I'm not questioning Duncan's skills or knowledge .
    Try reading my post again.
    It is not simply a case of an Alnico based pickup is suitable to one type of music whereas a Ceramic is suited to another.. what a load of TOSH !
    The 78 is an Alnico 2 based pickup and it's tone is like scraping nails along a chalk board.
    EXACTLY the description applied to cermamic based winds a few years ago.

The OP shouldn't limit his choice between those two pickups, which is why I asked what's in the guitar right now.
    Based on what he has, and what he likes/doesn't like, a proper recommendation can be made.
    Last edited by wolf5150; 04-29-2012 at 07:56 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Try reading my post again.
    It is not simply a case of an Alnico based pickup is suitable to one type of music whereas a Ceramic is suited to another.. what a load of TOSH !
    The 78 is an Alnico 2 based pickup and it's tone is like scraping nails along a chalk board.
    EXACTLY the description applied to cermamic based winds a few years ago.
    Yeah thanks but I had a hard enough time reading British the first time around.
    "The 78 is like scraping nails along a chalk board."
    Huh...now that's a new one. Here's how many people agree with you: 0

He doesn't have to go with just those 2 pickups. That's what he asked, and that's what he gets.

Super Toneologist zenmindbeginner's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pop punk is not known to have a "good guitar tone"... get whatever pickup is in your guitar and crank out endless power chords and lame leads. You'll sound just fine to other pop punk bands.

I thought punk was about not giving a crap about stuff like pickups and tone?

You just need to be loud and abrasive... preferably with a crappy farty/harsh tone.

I guess the more you are on the pop side of pop punk will dictate how much you care about sound though.

The Wolfgang will be more of a pitch down the center...

But the Frankenstein pickup is more of a really good curveball

Really good curveballs usually lead to a strike.
    "Stumbled across a review of the George Lynch-designed, Seymour Duncan-produced Super V pickup on YouTubeand it’s frickin’ great!
    No secret that most guitar-stuff reviews on YT suck. Not this one, folks! It clocks in at a long 11+ minutes and is worth every…minute. Enjoy!
    " - woodytone

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How many people agree with me ?
    Try doing a search..
    I had 2 78's and when you find my replies you'll see its EXACTLY how myself and everyone who's used those 2 examples describe it.
    The 78 is ice pick bright ( so for that matter but to a lesser extent is the PG )
    Let me waste a little more of my practice time enlightening you..
    A pickup is voiced to sound a certain way... The Pearly Gates was voiced for Gibbons' Les Paul, it's tone dictated that the pickup be voiced on the bright side to compensate for the acoustic tone of the guitar.. ALL the components contribute to its tone.
    Put in a Strat it's VERY bright ..
    the same description that would previously be given to a ceramic based wind.
    Now to throw a further spanner in your works.. Tom Anderson's H2+ ( which is widely regarded as a fantastic warm toned and extremely versatile Humbucker ), uses Neo magnets.
    However his latest HF pickups are Alnico based but are much brighter toned... I have and use both.
    Suhr use only A5 magnets yet all his pickups sound different.
    The magnet is simply a piece of the puzzle.. it is NOT the defining piece, as you and other sniffers on this forum continue to insist.
    End of lecture.. back to the important thing.. trying to be a better player.

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At the moment i have in there a Duncan JB but it sounds a little different than what I thought it would (it's wired correctly). So now I'm looking between the Frankie and the wolfgang. I disagree with the statements made upon pop-punk, while its true that we play power chords and whatnot, many pop-punk bands have different tones (sum-41 to blink-182). I know for a fact that those players sound different and are focused on their own tones... It is true that I could just crank and play but as I mentioned in earlier posts... I play van Halen too haha. I was looking at these two pups because that's what I was drawn to... I wanted to see if anyone could give me their personal thoughts on each of what I was originally looking at (doesn't mean that others can't bring up other options). I appreciate all those that have given their feedback and responses, it's what makes this forum so awesome. I appreciate the help right now based on everything the Wolfie is looking like the right one, but please keep the responses coming
    Last edited by Austy009; 04-29-2012 at 08:42 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

^^you keep implying that we're all wine drinkers on this forum. in general, I prefer the stuff in a box because I can slap the bag and there's more of it to go around. That and my bottle of night train express seems to always come with a screw on cap for some reason.

Hey I don't get all mag swap crazy like some of these guys do. And I commend their time and resources (their ears mainly) to fine tune all those nuance and hwutt-not.

But I do know a big beefy ceramic pickup through a high gain amp sounds pretty tasty for power chords.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Austy009 View Post
    At the moment i have in there a Duncan JB but it sounds a little different than what I thought it would (it's wired correctly). So now I'm looking between the Frankie and the wolfgang
    well IME the at-1 falls right inbetween those two as does the AZ i mentioned.
    The TZ is too hot and bassy but the air zone is really good
    There is also the dimarzio NORTON?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Austy009 View Post
    At the moment i have in there a Duncan JB but it sounds a little different than what I thought it would (it's wired correctly). So now I'm looking between the Frankie and the wolfgang
    Yeah besides those 2 I would go for a Custom (TB-5) or Distortion (TB-6).
    Both of those rock and are super versatile in darker toned woods.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hunter View Post
    well IME the at-1 falls right inbetween those two as does the AZ i mentioned.
    The TZ is too hot and bassy but the air zone is really good
    There is also the dimarzio NORTON?
    +1 on the norton. most versatile bridge pickup ever.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Arrow Re: EVH pickup questions.

How many people agree with me ?

I'm with wolfie. case closed. game over. move along.

I have a few A2 pups that take the top of my head off... and it's not the PG. I don't like the ceramic in the DD, but I like the ceramic in the Hot Rails. the A5 in the JB blows my hair back, but the A5 in the C5 puts me to sleep.

more importantly, it's all through the same amp with the same very small handful of presets. there is some relevancy to the 'cork sniffer' concept.... which is not to say there is any one person that comes to mind, but a mindset that is often dominant. the pickup is important... but so is the wood and the cable and the amp and the speakers and the size of room and the volume and... you get the idea.

back on-topic.... a JB would be a good option, so can you clarify what sort of problems it's giving you? is it too much of this or too little of that? did some minor amp-tweaking not clear it up? since most people are familiar with the JB, knowing what it is or not doing for you can steer responses in a more direct path to a good answer for you.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

^^the magnetic pickup is the most important part of the electric guitar.

pickup : electric guitar :: engine : automobile

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The JB was really harsh in this guitar (I believe it's the floyd honestly since they have a tendency to brighten and thin tones from time to time). However, I have four JBs loaded in different guitars and they all sound fantastic. I just don't think this particular guitar and this pickup work well together. The ceramic mag pickups are starting to sound like a good idea.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Green Day's guy has always used a JB. I'd class them as the music you're playing mate. I'd also ask , as a recent convert to the joys of the mighty JB , what is it you don't like ? i've had the best results by lowering the height. I've also just changed my string gauge and its totally screwed with my previous settings. Had to raise the treble side of my new custom shop JB in the middle of last night's gig to regain the response.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Arrow Re: EVH pickup questions.

what is different about the other guitars that the JB sounds better in? the wood? the trem? the controls?

if it's just the trem, I can see where a fixed bridge is different than a Floyd, but there are a lot of guys out there with JBs in guitars with Floyds. not to go down too many rabbit holes, but is it an OFR or a licensed model? a good and inexpensive upgrade for a Floyd is a brass block - look up 'guitarupgrades' on ebay... he'll make them in different thickness to suit your guitar and he's on the more affordable side than many others.

if the JB sounds too harsh to you in that guitar, you might want to avoid the Duncan Distortion. what about the tone? how are the highs, mids and lows? does it need more or less of something? how is the output? what is the one thing that jumps out and make you want more of or less of?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Green Day's guy has always used a JB.
    And P-90/P-100's.

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Time to further mud up this mess and declare the super D as the ultimate punk rock pickup.....that or a a hot nasty p90......

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LatsMcGee View Post
    Time to further mud up this mess and declare the super D as the ultimate punk rock pickup.....that or a a hot nasty p90......
    Not a mess at all.
    Kurt Cobain used a Super D for Nevermind
    Dexter Holland (Offspring) uses a Super D for everything.

It is incredible in bright strats and superstrats.

The JB is great in ash/alder/poplar. Everything else (*cough* mahogany *cough*) meh.

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's an LTD KH-202 with a licensed ESP Floyd. The other guitars I have a JB in are a alder bodied strat with a hard-tail bridge, a les Paul studio, a les Paul copy, and a Kramer strat copy. The JB is an epic pickup and I love what it does, but it just doesn't work for the KH-202. I believe it could be the Floyd, but so far te Floyd has been reliable and I haven't seen a reason to change it haha. The highs are almost too much and not enough lows... It's like bright city
    Last edited by Austy009; 04-29-2012 at 10:57 AM.