Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: I just don't understand all the EVH tone fascination

Ultimate Tone Slacker metalmachine's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: I just don't understand all the EVH tone fascination

meh I dont get it either but I love dimebag Darrell's tone and a lot of people hate it. By the way dimebag is the Eddie for my generation.

Super Toneologist zenmindbeginner's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is not one bad ass guitar player in the world that doesn't appreciate Eddie's genius.

Yet there are countless bedroom wankers, minor league players and armchair afficianados who just don't get it. Whether it's willful ignorance or the fact that they don't have the ability to understand... haters gonna hate.

Ask Paul Gilbert what he thinks of Van Halen.

Ask Jeff Beck what he thinks of Van Halen

Hell, Robbie Krieger's favorite guitar solo of all time is "Eruption"

I guess he doesn't know anything about playing guitar... he's obviously a dumbass right?

Think about that and the fact that you generally only find Eddie haters among the lower skill levels of guitar playing.

I mean, if jazz or country guys don't appreciate Eddie's playing, I can understand.

But by and large, most of us here are rockers.

Eddie is the quintessential rock guitarist's guitarist.

I think this thread is like therapy to many of you though, venting is good for you.
    "Stumbled across a review of the George Lynch-designed, Seymour Duncan-produced Super V pickup on YouTubeand it’s frickin’ great!
    No secret that most guitar-stuff reviews on YT suck. Not this one, folks! It clocks in at a long 11+ minutes and is worth every…minute. Enjoy!
    " - woodytone

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

^ I like this guy

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by zenmindbeginner View Post
    1) There is not one bad ass guitar player in the world that doesn't appreciate Eddie's genius.

2) Hell, Robbie Krieger's favorite guitar solo of all time is "Eruption"

3) Think about that and the fact that you generally only find Eddie haters among the lower skill levels of guitar playing.

4) Eddie is the quintessential rock guitarist's guitarist.
    1) There are many excellent players that are not impressed by EVH. You need to get out more often (and with grown ups).

2) You're quoting Robbie Krieger? Your arguments are running out of gas baby. Tricks and gimmicks don't take the place of musicality. Are you attracted to shiny objects too? Eddie isn't in the same league as the solos in Heartbreaker or Crossroads.

3) We're not 'Eddie haters'; we thought he was cool at the time, but it's gotten old; the party was over a long a time ago. He's spawned tens of thousands of imitators, some of which have surpassed Eddie. While influential, Eddie's playing certainly has it's limitations. It'd be nice to have less gimmicks and more substance. You need to start hanging around guys that really know how to play guitar.

4) Maybe the 'quintessential rock guitarist' by your standards (such as they are), but many of us would argue otherwise. Eddie's flashy and commercial. Not everybody's into all that hype. What about true masters of the guitar, like Eric Johnson and Robben Ford.

"Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by blueman335 View Post
    1) It'd be nice to have less gimmicks and more substance. You need to start hanging around guys that really know how to play guitar.

Two questions:

1. You're not actually suggesting EVH *doesn't* know how to play guitar, are you?

2. If a Les Paul or 335 (or any Gibson) were EVH's main guitar, would you be singing this tune?

Just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by nedcronin View Post
    Pretty much what you suggested Ink.
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmachine View Post
    dont worry about it bro. even if we dont like it...... were just internet ppl. not real ppl. more like a hulicination of a mythical forest creature.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK- I understand the Posts- didn't read them all......

I'm going to start a thread :

" How can I NOT sound like EVH ? "

...just to balance things a little.

I mean you could put EJ, Wes Montgomery, Robben Ford, Gilmour, Timmons, Bonamassa, Benson, Carlton, Ritchie Blackmore, Hendrix, SRV, Pat Martino, or many others in the blank- great players with great tones-no big mystery why some might want to emulate that.

Lots of great Jazzers emulated or admired Wes Montgomery's sound, even EJ references Early Clapton and Keith Richards etc.

Also- cloned hand transplants are about 104 years out ( even though it was shown at NAMM 2012 )- so merely saying "it's all in the fingers" doesn't really help- and we've all heard people that DON'T have _________ or EVH , or Gilmour, or EJ's or Hendrix's fingers get very close to their tones......so you should assume that the person asking to sound like ______ does NOT have _______'s fingers....or their EXACT picking attack etc.

UNLESS -It's actually Eddie Van Halen himself on the Forum saying "How can I get back to the Tone I had on "Fair Warning" ?

Or EJ asking " How can I get the Tones I had in the Austin City Limits Video back in the 80's ?".

Well Eric-it's all in the fingers........another pickup or Rig won't help at all............
    Last edited by robertkoa; 05-02-2012 at 09:11 AM.

Ultimate Tone Slacker metalmachine's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can play better than eddie!!!!!!!......... Ok not really

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Inkstained View Post
    Two questions:

1. You're not actually suggesting EVH *doesn't* know how to play guitar, are you?

2. If a Les Paul or 335 (or any Gibson) were EVH's main guitar, would you be singing this tune?
    EVH had a 335 until he destroyed it during his luthier work. It's not about the guitar, it's the music. Yes, Eddie's obviously a very talanted player, but there is an upper echelon of players in most genres that are better; even Eddie himself would admit that. I just don't think he's worthy of hero worship. He came at the right time and gave rock a much-needed shot in the arm, as SRV did with blues. That propelled their careers, and them to stardom, but it doesn't make either one the 'best' player. There are many blues guitarists that were, or are, better than SRV, but he's the one who got promoted the most. Don't underestimate how much of a factor promotion and marketing has been in selecting them, and at the same time ignoring many others with talent. I've seen guys at local gigs and in music stores that were tremendous players, but no one's ever heard of them. Having the right image can make or break a band. I think VH's fame came from a variety of factors, not all of them necessarily talent-related.

I just don't think all the EVH playing tricks and Diamond Dave jumping around in spandex helps their image as serious musicians. Too much juvenile posturing and posing for the girls and the cameras.
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Arrow Re: I just don't understand all the EVH bashing, personally...

EVH had a 335 until he destroyed it during his luthier work. It's not about the guitar, it's the music. Yes, Eddie's obviously a very talanted player, but there is an upper echelon of players in most genres that are better; even Eddie himself would admit that. I just don't think he's worthy of hero worship. He came at the right time and gave rock a much-needed shot in the arm, as SRV did with blues. That propelled their careers, and them to stardom, but it doesn't make either one the 'best' player. There are many blues guitarists that were, or are, better than SRV, but he's the one who got promoted the most. Don't underestimate how much of a factor promotion and marketing has been in selecting them, and at the same time ignoring many others with talent. I've seen guys at local gigs and in music stores that were tremendous players, but no one's ever heard of them. Having the right image can make or break a band. I think VH's fame came from a variety of factors, not all of them necessarily talent-related.

I just don't think all the EVH playing tricks and Diamond Dave jumping around in spandex helps their image as serious musicians. Too much juvenile posturing and posing for the girls and the cameras.

Have you heard the new CD? Eddie is back to KILLING on guitar, and Dave's lyrics have matured greatly...it's an amazing album. Probably one of the best rock releases in YEARS. They've definitely still got it.

EVH may not be the "best" player, but he's certainly one of the greatest to ever walk the earth...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: I just don't understand all the EVH bashing, personally...

Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    Have you heard the new CD? Eddie is back to KILLING on guitar, and Dave's lyrics have matured greatly...it's an amazing album. Probably one of the best rock releases in YEARS. They've definitely still got it.
    Glad to hear they've matured. I'll have to take a listen.

Hendrix started off with a wild stage show, but soon tired of it. He said in an interview: "I'm tired of being a clown." It served it's purpose and got him noticed; then he could focus on the music part. Hard to believe how much he did in 4 years.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with your post,but I gotta tell ya.....Eddie has made way more money than me and has had wayyyyyyy more sex than me as a player! ;o)
    So have Brittany Spears, Lady Gaga, Vanilla Ice, MC Hammer, Spice Girls, Milli Vinilli, and countless other morons. Making money as an entertainer doesn't guarantee they're talented or intelligent. The public isn't all that discerning, especially when a big promotional machine is behind an entertainer. We've had far too many corporate playlists crammed down our throats, for me to have any respect for someone simply because they've made a lot of money in the entertainment business. Most of it's 'Idiots on parade.'

How about if we leave out the money and groupie part of this evaluation?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No doubt you wearied of Jimmy Page's dragon outfits and Plant's pelvic thrusts.

dont worry about it bro. even if we dont like it...... were just internet ppl. not real ppl. more like a hulicination of a mythical forest creature.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crguti View Post
    I respect all opinions, but post #62 is retarded.
    What's so retarded about it? That I don't agree with you?
    Gibson LP Melody Maker -- stock, Epiphone Dot -- Jazz neck and '59 bridge, Fender Telecaster Blackout Deluxe -- stock, 90's MIM Standard Strat with Duncan Texas Hot Custom in the bridge.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by zenmindbeginner View Post
    There is not one bad ass guitar player in the world that doesn't appreciate Eddie's genius.

Yet there are countless bedroom wankers, minor league players and armchair afficianados who just don't get it. Whether it's willful ignorance or the fact that they don't have the ability to understand... haters gonna hate.

Ask Paul Gilbert what he thinks of Van Halen.

Ask Jeff Beck what he thinks of Van Halen

Hell, Robbie Krieger's favorite guitar solo of all time is "Eruption"

I guess he doesn't know anything about playing guitar... he's obviously a dumbass right?

Think about that and the fact that you generally only find Eddie haters among the lower skill levels of guitar playing.

I mean, if jazz or country guys don't appreciate Eddie's playing, I can understand.

But by and large, most of us here are rockers.

Eddie is the quintessential rock guitarist's guitarist.

I think this thread is like therapy to many of you though, venting is good for you.
    First of all, you have made a lot of generalizations that are just patently stupid. It just shows off the kind of snobbery that exists amongst certain musicians.

What made Eddie so great, that he could play fast or that he invented tapping? Doesn't impress me either way. I never said that I had no respect for his playing, just that I don't like his lead playing and too many people overrate him.

And yet some of you take this as a personal attack and attack me back. Grow up. Your opinions are not the Gospel truth.

Welcome to my ignore list.
    Gibson LP Melody Maker -- stock, Epiphone Dot -- Jazz neck and '59 bridge, Fender Telecaster Blackout Deluxe -- stock, 90's MIM Standard Strat with Duncan Texas Hot Custom in the bridge.

Stratoblaster Tone Meister STRATDELUXER97's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So have Brittany Spears, Lady Gaga, Vanilla Ice, MC Hammer, Spice Girls, Milli Vinilli, and countless other morons. Making money as an entertainer doesn't guarantee they're talented or intelligent. The public isn't all that discerning, especially when a big promotional machine is behind an entertainer. We've had far too many corporate playlists crammed down our throats, for me to have any respect for someone simply because they've made a lot of money in the entertainment business. Most of it's 'Idiots on parade.'

How about I post what I want...EVH is awesome and has offered alot to guitar players as a whole!
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey it is one thing to bash eddie van halen but when you start bashing pure,true talent like milli vinilli you sir have crossed the line!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hunter View Post
    Hey it is one thing to bash eddie van halen but when you start bashing pure,true talent like milli vinilli you sir have crossed the line!
    Nice!
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

EVH tone =

Amped up Cream and Bluesbreaker licks

+

25.5-inch-scale length

+

Use of right-hand fingers.

All else is commentary.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gotta say also,that for a player like EVH that some of us feel is more hype than talent,I see an awful lot of EVH posts covering many things...Mainly the guy's tone...Must be something to it?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
    Gotta say also,that for a player like EVH that some of us feel is more hype than talent,I see an awful lot of EVH posts covering many things...Mainly the guy's tone...Must be something to it?
    I understand the appeal John. I don't understand why people can't accept and respect someone who has a different opinion -- and it's all opinion.