Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mixing speakers in a cab

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Mixing speakers in a cab

Actually I love the tones from the Vintage 30s but was just exploring the idea of mixing . I figure it would be a relatively low cost tweak and I like the idea of improving tone.
    I play rock, blues, "fusion" whatever that is. And pop music.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rmcfee View Post
    Actually I love the tones from the Vintage 30s but was just exploring the idea of mixing . I figure it would be a relatively low cost tweak and I like the idea of improving tone.
    I play rock, blues, "fusion" whatever that is. And pop music.
    In that case, I highly recommend try a G12H30 and/or a Classic Lead 80. The G12 is an awesome speaker and matches very well with the Vintage 30.

The Classic Lead is a very neutral/clean speakers that accurately details the amp's natural characteristics. Works well with the Vintage 30, but doesn't blend as well, rather let's allows the V30s characteristics to shine and supplements them.

I was debating which speaker to mix with the V30 myself, but opted for the CL80 instead of the G12H30. Reason being is at the time I head a 100 Watt head. If I went the G12H30/V30 route my cab would total 60 watts instead of totaling 120 watts I get with the V30/CL80 mix.

Ideally you want either the same watt or a higher wattage cab than that of your head.

Now granted you can get away with a lower watt cab if you're not constantly playing at loud levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by grumptruck
    No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwalluk's music
    My Music Website

My Rig:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe (Seymour Duncan Screamin Demon (b) Pearly Gates (n)
    Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb 50 Series II Combo
    TC Electronics Nova System

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think I would want to stay around a 100 watt capacity just in case things get out of hand!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think I would want to stay around a 100 watt capacity just in case things get out of hand!
    Then try either the classic lead 80 or G12T75
    Quote Originally Posted by grumptruck
    No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwalluk's music
    My Music Website

My Rig:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe (Seymour Duncan Screamin Demon (b) Pearly Gates (n)
    Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb 50 Series II Combo
    TC Electronics Nova System

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've got some old, rat fur, closed back Avatar Slant 2 X 12" cabinets. With an amp that rocks - like my Sunn T50 - they sound fantastic with one Celestion Vintage 30 and 1 Eminence GB12. For a while, they had a Vintage 30 and an Eminence Legend V12 pairings in them. Both combinations sound exceptional.

I also have an Avatar closed back 4 X 12. It has 1 Celestion Blue Alnico, 1 Celestion Vintage 30, 1 Reverend Alltone 1250 and 1 Eminence Red Fang. It covers a lot of range and sounds exceptional with whatever amp I use with it.

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow that 4X12 sounds funky.

Jessie's ghost

I just replaced two of the G12-T75's in my 1960A with Vintage 30's, in an X pattern, but wired so one stereo half is both speakers of one type - so I can play just the two V30's or just the two T75's, in addition to the "mono" setting that gives me all four speakers. I just wired it up last night and haven't plugged it in yet, so wish me luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I renovated one of my old Orange cabs I wanted something rich and full that would cover classic/ hard rock. I fitted G65's and G12H30 anniversaries in an X pattern and love it.
    Originally Posted by Gearjoneser
    You've been hit by, you've been struck by....... Simon the Moderator

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mixing them almost always sounds better than not mixing them IMO. You just have to watch the balance between the two if you don't want one to be more present than the other.

One of the best sounding speaker combos I had was stock, though. It was in my Marshall JCM2000 TSL 122. I think it had a Vintage and a Heritage. I regret selling it now.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 05-05-2012 at 05:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've a friend who made a ring of half inch plywood as a reducer to enable him to run one 12 inch with one 10 inch . I don't remember the exact amp but it wasn't more than about 25 or 30 watts. The 10 added the bite he was looking for and cleaned up the sound a lot without sacrificing too much bottom end. pardon the pun but he was thinking "inside the box" to arrive at his unique solution. There are no limits except your imagination , too bad the same cannot usually be said for our wallets. Try what ever sounds like it might solve the sonic shortcomings. I traded the four tens in my 56 bassman for four JBL d208 8" speakers which increased the articulation and reduced the sheer "volume" of air moved (SPL) which allows me to use this great amp in the smaller rooms that I usually play without making anybody's ears bleed. Surprisingly the tone did not get too "Ice Picky" due to the smaller cone size, they just move less air. Experiment til you find YOUR sound, its great fun innit???

Jessie's ghost

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaBass View Post
    One of the best sounding speaker combos I had was stock, though. It was in my Marshall JCM2000 TSL 122. I think it had a Vintage and a Heritage. I regret selling it now.
    That was a great-sounding amp. My local shop had one on the floor for years and years, and I would just about always plug into it when trying out a guitar. It brought out the best in just about every guitar I tried through it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie's ghost View Post
    That was a great-sounding amp. My local shop had one on the floor for years and years, and I would just about always plug into it when trying out a guitar. It brought out the best in just about every guitar I tried through it.
    You're one of the few people aside from myself who I've ever heard say they love that amp. I thought it was Marshall's best amp in decades (since before the JCM800), but it gets a lot of crap talked about it on the Interwebs, and the resale value is disgusting.
    Yogi Berra was correct.

Jessie's ghost

You're one of the few people aside from myself who I've ever heard say they love that amp. I thought it was Marshall's best amp in decades (since before the JCM800), but it gets a lot of crap talked about it on the Interwebs, and the resale value is disgusting.
    I don't know; my TSL100 head was the first tube amp I ever owned, and despite some maintenance issues, it's pretty much been the perfect amp for me. As mentioned above, I just replaced two of the stock speakers in my 1960A cab with Vintage 30's, and it's awesome. I think V30's bring out some great stuff in those TSL's. Being able to mix them or pick one or the other by itself, really expands the versatility. As great as V30's are, if I want to do Malmsteen or my patented (j/k) modern hi-fi jazz tone, the G12-T75's are the only way to go. And the two types of drivers together add a welcome complexity to dry metal riffs on my Flying V.

I've got a 4x10 TubeWorks cab sitting around, and I think my next project is mini Greenbacks, or some other combo, for it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie's ghost View Post
    I don't know; my TSL100 head was the first tube amp I ever owned, and despite some maintenance issues, it's pretty much been the perfect amp for me. As mentioned above, I just replaced two of the stock speakers in my 1960A cab with Vintage 30's, and it's awesome. I think V30's bring out some great stuff in those TSL's. Being able to mix them or pick one or the other by itself, really expands the versatility. As great as V30's are, if I want to do Malmsteen or my patented (j/k) modern hi-fi jazz tone, the G12-T75's are the only way to go. And the two types of drivers together add a welcome complexity to dry metal riffs on my Flying V.

I've got a 4x10 TubeWorks cab sitting around, and I think my next project is mini Greenbacks, or some other combo, for it.
    It's good you like it so much. It is a great amp. My advice is to not sell it. 1) You will be disgusted by the measly amount you get for it. 2) You will regret it. Take it from me! It hasn't even been a year, and I miss that thing BAD sometimes.

I had some issues too. I had to have the foot switch replaced under warranty, and then the replacement started acting up too and I had to get another. The third one finally worked properly for a decent amount of time.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 05-05-2012 at 07:18 AM.
    Yogi Berra was correct.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow that 4X12 sounds funky.
    I've got a 2nd 4 X 12". It is a Fender Tonemaster. It came loaded with 4 Celestion Vintage 30s. It sounded fine, but a little too one dimensional for my liking. I removed all but 1 of the Vintage 30s. That 4 X 12" now has 1 Celestion Vintage 30, 1 Celestion Blue Alnico and two Celestion G12M-25 Greenbacks. It runs at 16 ohms and sounds exceptional.

I don't like either the Vintage 30 or the Alnico Blue in stand alone applications. However, they definitely bring something additional to the party when used in conjunction with other speakers in a good, closed back 4 X 12.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mwalluk View Post
    I was debating which speaker to mix with the V30 myself, but opted for the CL80 instead of the G12H30. Reason being is at the time I head a 100 Watt head. If I went the G12H30/V30 route my cab would total 60 watts instead of totaling 120 watts I get with the V30/CL80 mix.
    This is a good point. The Wizard and Governor pair solves the problem nicely, though.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use an old Crate GS412S loaded with Celestion G12H-80 speakers (run of Classic Lead 80 like speakers produced for Line 6 a few years back) and my friend's Mesa Recto 4x12 loaded with Vintage 30s.

The Classic Leads and G12H-80s are smooth and powerful, very clear. The Vintage 30s are a bit nasal, but have some nice bite in the upper mids if it can be controlled. It seems there is a bit of a low end thump too. The combo of the nasal and low end of the V30s alone annoys me. Used in conjunction with the 80 watt Celestions, it adds some bite and thump to the overall clarity.

I am glad that I use a Mesa 2:Ninety stereo power amp though, so I can tweak the volume on each cabinet separately to adjust the levels of the two cabinets.

Jessie's ghost

It's good you like it so much. It is a great amp. My advice is to not sell it. 1) You will be disgusted by the measly amount you get for it. 2) You will regret it. Take it from me! It hasn't even been a year, and I miss that thing BAD sometimes.

I had some issues too. I had to have the foot switch replaced under warranty, and then the replacement started acting up too and I had to get another. The third one finally worked properly for a decent amount of time.
    Don't worry; that head is one of the last things I'd ever sell. I'm happy enough, and familiar enough, with it that I'd rather tweak my guitars and try different speakers than look for a different amp.

I had a problem with the footswitch. I dug into it one night and found out that the plastic grommet in the front of the footswitch chassis (where the cord comes through) was way too tight. It was crushing the wires inside the jacket, and it had severed the blue wire and was working on a couple of others. No wonder they keep failing -- it's just too many wires inside that pinch grommet. I took the grommet out, cut the end off the "pedal" side of the cable, re-terminated it and resoldered to the circuit board, and filed down the inside of the grommet so it wouldn't pinch the wires so hard. Two years later it's still going strong, so hopefully that was it.

I've also had problems with hum from bad solder joints, and with the bushings for the effects loop jacks busting off.

Still, I'm committed to this relationship, and as far as I'm concerned the TSL100 isn't going anywhere.

Jessie's ghost

Just felt the burning desire to post again about how much I love the combination of two Vintage 30's on the diagonal with G12-T75's in my 1960A cab, under a TSL100. It combines what I like about each driver into one voice.