• Gibson

42 40.38%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Gibson VS Fender

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Gibson VS Fender

Quote Originally Posted by blueman335 View Post
    This is a bizarre reason. "Things" that can be easily taken off, is the neck. The vast majority of players never break or crack a neck or headstock in their entire lives. This has no virtue as a selling point to anyone with basic hand-eye coordination skills. However, it would seem that Fender inherently attracts those amongst us who are prone to dropping guitars or leaving on the floor. and going thru stacks of necks. I imagine that their houses are littered with the remains of guitars that have been broken over the years: "Watch where you step Earl, there's a new Tele right in front of...aw geez, well it's a good thing I have a some spares. Bobbi Sue, be a doll and get me one of them necks on the living room floor, one that's not splintered."

With a 'modular' neck, you also have trade-offs with some neck pockets that don't fit right, requiring wood-working or shims. It's not all beer and skittles you know.
    I think the point that he was getting at was that being able to swap necks makes the guitars much more adaptable to fit personal tastes, rather than being easy to replace when you break them.

Like if you spot a good deal on a Tele with a rosewood board but you prefer maple, you can be safe in the knowledge that you can replace the neck fairly hassle-free somewhere down the line.

Or if you decide you don't like radius or the neck shape/size.

Or if you decide you want 22 frets instead of 21.

Hell, sometimes it's cheaper to just get a whole new neck than get a decent fret job.

I'm not saying those are huge selling points for me. Just outlining what I believe his original point was.
    I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is a bizarre reason. "Things" that can be easily taken off, is the neck. The vast majority of players never break or crack a neck or headstock in their entire lives. This has no virtue as a selling point to anyone with basic hand-eye coordination skills. However, it would seem that Fender inherently attracts those amongst us who are prone to dropping guitars or leaving on the floor. and going thru stacks of necks. I imagine that their houses are littered with the remains of guitars that have been broken over the years: "Watch where you step Earl, there's a new Tele right in front of...aw geez, well it's a good thing I have a some spares. Bobbi Sue, be a doll and get me one of them necks on the living room floor, one that's not splintered."

With a 'modular' neck, you also have trade-offs with some neck pockets that don't fit right, requiring wood-working or shims. It's not all beer and skittles you know.

Hilarious!!!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The only way I can see this situation coming up is if you were heavily in the public eye as a musician, and you got an offer from both Fender and Gibson for an endorsement contract that only let you be seen with one of them.

That's how I answered the question, with that [extremely] hypothetical situation in mind. I love Gibsons to death, but I would hate to be without my Esquire more than I'd hate to be without any other guitar, so that seals it. I'd also hate to be without a Strat. I love Les Pauls, but I could do without them without feeling some great sense of loss. I love SGs, but I feel the same way. I love my 330, but, the same; I don't play it out anyhow – feedback city in a loud band. I love my Explorer, but I could certainly do without it. But take a Tele/Esquire away from my arsenal, and I'd be able to have the show go on just fine (I have gone several gigs in a row without even bringing it), but I would certainly feel the greatest sense of loss out of all those styles I mentioned.

Plus you'd get several good amps to choose from with Fender (a point which has already been made in the thread).
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh! P.S. Hilarious story from a gig tonight. I was watching the first band. Nobody had really shown up yet, so they pushed back the start time almost an hour. When they went on, there were about a dozen people there, most of whom were from the other bands. Well, the guitarist (playing a three-tone burst Studio) broke a string about three songs in. Of course, someone from one of the other bands asked him if he needed a loaner. The guy onstage actually looked over at the guy's guitars and said through the mic, "You have a Gibson?" And then mumbled some gibberish which basically amounted to how he'd rather play his Gibson with the broken string than borrow one of this nice guy's guitars.
    Yogi Berra was correct.

Jessie's ghost

Nice!

Then there's the argument that, with a Fender, you can change necks like some sort of fashion accessory, like a handbag or a pair of shoes. Honestly, why would you need to change necks if they put the right one on at the factory?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaBass View Post
    Oh! P.S. Hilarious story from a gig tonight. I was watching the first band. Nobody had really shown up yet, so they pushed back the start time almost an hour. When they went on, there were about a dozen people there, most of whom were from the other bands. Well, the guitarist (playing a three-tone burst Studio) broke a string about three songs in. Of course, someone from one of the other bands asked him if he needed a loaner. The guy onstage actually looked over at the guy's guitars and said through the mic, "You have a Gibson?" And then mumbled some gibberish which basically amounted to how he'd rather play his Gibson with the broken string than borrow one of this nice guy's guitars.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Guy offering his guitar = really cool of him.

That reaction (latin name) = dochenoptra maxiculus
    - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie's ghost View Post
    Honestly, why would you need to change necks if they put the right one on at the factory?
    Given some of the recent stuff coming out of the Gibson factory, maybe they should adopt bolt-on necks, too.
    make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

gibsons are too clunky for me, every fender ive played has been fast, and sleek, sounds great, well, i guess the main thing is i prefer single coil pickups
    i saw this band, and thought they were really great, until i saw what the guy was playing through........

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by astrozombie View Post
    Exactly. I actually said out loud, "What the ****? Are you serious?"

Quote Originally Posted by phil_104 View Post
    Guy offering his guitar = really cool of him.

That reaction (latin name) = dochenoptra maxiculus
    Almost always happens when you break a string. Someone immediately offers to help you out, because they know what it's like, and it's also just good musicians' etiquette IMO. I was flabbergasted. Never seen anything like that at a gig before, and I have seen a lot of dooshey stuff at gigs!
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 05-06-2012 at 07:35 AM.
    Yogi Berra was correct.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mwalluk View Post
    Gibson hands down.

Also, I rock the acoustic on occasion.

Fender acoustics suck.
    Dammit... that's a really good point!

I play my Fender Strat a lot, but jeez... you're right, I can't think of a single Fender acoustic that could come remotely close to anything Gibson churns out (and I love the J-45).

Can we cheat and say that since Fender owns Guild we can pick from Guild's stock for an acoustic? That would atleast level the playing field somewhat.

Because really, this is the fanciest Fender we get and it's not even a dreadnought....

http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/1...ectric-Guitar/

If Guild counted, I'd probably spring for one of these and call it a day:
    Last edited by That90'sGuy; 05-06-2012 at 08:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevlar3000 View Post
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerberus View Post
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Quote Originally Posted by ginormous View Post
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Jessie's ghost

Quote Originally Posted by aleclee View Post
    Given some of the recent stuff coming out of the Gibson factory, maybe they should adopt bolt-on necks, too.
    Yeah, laugh it up, buddy-boy.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fender. A Strat, to be more specific.

I think I like the Gibson trademark sound just a bit more, but I've been playing Strat-style guitars mostly since I began on the electric.
    I feel more at home with the usual Fender neck width/radius and all that.
    Ibanez SZ320 / A2 Pro neck, Screamin' Demon bridge.
    AllParts Strat / Toneriders Pure Vintage set
    Partscaster #2 / JB-8 bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 + DIY 1x12 cab + Eminence Wizard / Roland Cube 60
    Zvex Super Duper, EHX Memory Toy, Keeley BD2, Boss GE-7, CE-2, DD-5, Marshall Jackhammer,
    EHX Metal Muff TB.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie's ghost View Post
    Nice!

Then there's the argument that, with a Fender, you can change necks like some sort of fashion accessory, like a handbag or a pair of shoes. Honestly, why would you need to change necks if they put the right one on at the factory?
    Very good.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kam View Post
    Like if you spot a good deal on a Tele with a rosewood board but you prefer maple, you can be safe in the knowledge that you can replace the neck fairly hassle-free somewhere down the line.

Or if you decide you don't like radius or the neck shape/size.

Or if you decide you want 22 frets instead of 21.

Hell, sometimes it's cheaper to just get a whole new neck than get a decent fret job.
    That's implying that the body is somehow unbelievably amazing and must be kept at all costs, which in reality is often probably not the case. More than likely just another body. If you don't like the neck, why buy the guitar in the first place, or why not just sell it? Are you guys not paying attention to what you're buying? Put down the cell phone, easy on the beer, and take a good look at it.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Mojo's Minions Powdered Toast Man's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And this would be just one of the reasons this guy is playing for 12 people.
    -
    My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Jessie's ghost

That's implying that the body is somehow unbelievably amazing and must be kept at all costs, which in reality is often probably not the case. More than likely just another body. If you don't like the neck, why buy the guitar in the first place, or why not just sell it? Are you guys not paying attention to what you're buying? Put down the cell phone, easy on the beer, and take a good look at it.
    There's always that "upgrade platform" with the plywood body and throwaway neck that's worth replacing every single part on, for some reason, putting Custom Shop pickups in, a Warmoth or USACG neck, etc. For more details, see the old "Stone Soup" fable: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_soup

Mojo's Minions Powdered Toast Man's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You guys are arguing the merits of having a removable neck like it's some kind of selling feature. I've never even considered that when buying a guitar. "I like it, but gee, what if the headstock breaks? What if 20 years from now I need a fret job?"

Usually, the things that attract me to a guitar are in this order:
    1. Style/appearance
    2. Playability
    3. Tone

I would choose a Fender just about every time because I prefer the look of them over Gibsons, how a Fender feels in my hands, and the sound of a Fender. I'm sure LP's are very nice, but I just don't want anything to do with one. I've picked up a few over the years and immediately I'm like, "bleagh..." and put it down.
    -
    My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Jessie's ghost

Quote Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
    You guys are arguing the merits of having a removable neck like it's some kind of selling feature. I've never even considered that when buying a guitar. "I like it, but gee, what if the headstock breaks? What if 20 years from now I need a fret job?"

Usually, the things that attract me to a guitar are in this order:
    1. Style/appearance
    2. Playability
    3. Tone

I would choose a Fender just about every time because I prefer the look of them over Gibsons, how a Fender feels in my hands, and the sound of a Fender. I'm sure LP's are very nice, but I just don't want anything to do with one. I've picked up a few over the years and immediately I'm like, "bleagh..." and put it down.
    Amen, Brother Toast! I get serious Fender GAS at times, and it doesn't have crap to do with the relative merits of a bolt-on neck. It's because Strats and Telecasters and some of those other ones just simply kick ass.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

True. Like I said, they're not a huge selling point for me. A bolt on neck has never made or broken a deal when I'm looking at a new guitar. In fact, I don't think it's ever even registered with me when I'm looking at one. I was just pointing out how I interpreted Fender_Punk's post and, in some respects, I can see a lot of merit in what he said.

For what it's worth, the examples I listed weren't really intended as things you would do immediately after buying the guitar. They're just options that are available to you down the line. If you have a guitar that has a lot of sentimental value, it's a more attractive prospect to just change the neck than replace the whole guitar if, say, you decide you prefer the feel of maple over rosewood. Or if you find that a thin neck is hurting your hand and you want to switch to a thicker one. Those things happen all the time and it's nice to not have to toss a guitar you've bonded with when you can just get a new neck that suits you more.

Plus, making partscasters can be a whole lot of fun.

Like I said, it's never factored into a decision for me and it's not a big deal. I do think it's cool, though.
    Last edited by Kam; 05-06-2012 at 10:29 AM.
    I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.