Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Excruciatingly Painful GAS - help...

I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Excruciatingly Painful GAS - help...

I'll tell you, the Richlite board, while a little different than ebony, was pretty cool. Smoth, fast, dark, hard, snappy attack. I really liked it. I like it way more than the baked maple.

My man Lexx there said it "looked a little rough" in comparison to the real ebony. That was reasonable. It was definitely smooth, but just not quite as glassy as ebony.

Cool stuff, I have to agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by jon the art guy View Post
    Aceman, your advice was a rich tapestry of hard-fought research, blood, sweat and tears and the homespun wisdom we've all learned to expect and relish from our itinerant face-painted lunatic. I would like to award you a internet trophy for "best comment on a proco rat discussion". Let it be written in the annals of history; Aceman sure as heck helped.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    One thing that bothers me about this, is that it does not have back binding. It's like one of the new LPs...I forget the model. Basically a Custom with the Richlite board and no rear binding plus chrome hardware....

But I don't know how I feel about that on an Ace model. Things like that bug me....

But dammm it was a fine fine axe.
    Its a fine axe, speaks on its own.. Back binding would put you MORE in debt as it would cost a bunch more and This guitar gives a nod to ACE. Its not like the old Epis with the big Ace face on the stock...

Do EEET!!

yeah, that new Gibson smell.. yummmy! ( I had a good coming of age anology, but I deleted in the name of trying not to be crude)
    Last edited by BloodRose; 05-05-2012 at 06:21 PM.
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gibson175 View Post
    Thats the guitar for you. Pure and simple. There is no cheaper substitute. Just get it. If you can't get it, sell all your other axes and get it.
    Nobody wants to buy any of that crap.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Ashurbanipal's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sell a kid, donate blood and/or sperm. Then you can say the purchase is truly the fruit of personal labour.
    Quote Originally Posted by dominus View Post
    Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The only thing I can say in a negative way may be that for $2200 I can find you two or three bad ass guitars you might enjoy more but they wouldn't be Ace guitars except maybe one should it become available.
    Aint no pro but I know what I like....
    Guitar to sound output:
    Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How come that guitar doesn't have lightning bolt inlays and something like Ace's representation on the headstock?

Quote Originally Posted by verbotenco View Post
    How come that guitar doesn't have lightning bolt inlays and something like Ace's representation on the headstock?
    cause its awesome!! lol

I know that epi LP ace guitar does tho!!!
    My solo downtuned HEAVY rock project https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance

Guitarist and Bassist in North Austin, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Van Noord View Post
    I've heard players boast of their thick beefy tone before, only to be greatly disappointed and leaving me worried about what other delusions they are living in their life.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Because it's supposed to be more like the one he actually played in 1970's KISS.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    Because it's supposed to be more like the one he actually played in 1970's KISS.
    Wouldn't it be cheaper to take a regular LP Custom and drill a third hole in the middle for the mid humbucker? Anyone knows if Ace took this approach back in heyday of KISS?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

richlite. back binding. honestly who gives one?
    Its a Gibson Ace Freheley Model Les Paul.
    You played it. You loved it.
    Who else do you think they built that guitar for aceman?
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Varg

I honestly think if you buy it you'll regret it eventually. You've made a few slightly negative comments about in this thread - I think you'll buy it, then wish you'd spent extra and got something with all the bling you think an Ace model SHOULD have (like the extra binding you mentioned).

Kinda like when people buy a LP Studio, then feel bad about it because they always wanted a Standard.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i don't think it's the one.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Arrow Re: Excruciatingly Painful GAS - help...

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Elec...ul-Custom.aspx
    Aint no pro but I know what I like....
    Guitar to sound output:
    Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Varg

Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    If I was buying a guitar because I was inspired by someone like Ace I would want something like he actually played on my favourite records, not something designed by him at some later stage, so this seems a great idea for a sig guitar to me. They should ALL be like that.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, as it turns out I absolutely have the cash (gold actually) to purchase it.

Wouldn't that be cool - alk in flip a couple of coins on counter and say "wrap it up"???

Makes it an even tougher decision....I'd get change back too!
    Aceman, your advice was a rich tapestry of hard-fought research, blood, sweat and tears and the homespun wisdom we've all learned to expect and relish from our itinerant face-painted lunatic. I would like to award you a internet trophy for "best comment on a proco rat discussion". Let it be written in the annals of history; Aceman sure as heck helped.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Because they didn't want to make this guitar gawd-awful tacky. You want to call a Cherry Sunburst a "Clown-burst?" Well that face inlay guitar is it!

I have to admit - doing the cool little inlays would have been awesome, had they done it back in the day...but they didn't.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to take a regular LP Custom and drill a third hole in the middle for the mid humbucker? Anyone knows if Ace took this approach back in heyday of KISS?
    I actually made a related post showing the cost of a real Budokan aged-version against a 74 LP Custom, some hardware, and some SuperD's

Indeed, it is a similar price.

And Ace's guitar dude would often take a SuperD, saw it in half and just glue it on the face of the guitar. Paint around it black, and screw a pickup ring on there. No actual cavity, wiring or anything. I have considered doing a similar act to my 1973 Tobacco (a very very Ace frehley guitar...)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    Because they didn't want to make this guitar gawd-awful tacky. You want to call a Cherry Sunburst a "Clown-burst?" Well that face inlay guitar is it!

I have to admit - doing the cool little inlays would have been awesome, had they done it back in the day...but they didn't.

I actually made a related post showing the cost of a real Budokan aged-version against a 74 LP Custom, some hardware, and some SuperD's

Indeed, it is a similar price.

And Ace's guitar dude would often take a SuperD, saw it in half and just glue it on the face of the guitar. Paint around it black, and screw a pickup ring on there. No actual cavity, wiring or anything. I have considered doing a similar act to my 1973 Tobacco (a very very Ace frehley guitar...)
    And that's the difference between a fan and a collector. A collector would take a look at the wretched inlay work and go "wow, a signature Les Paul"! A fan takes one look at it and goes "not what he actually uses, what the freak is that abomination?"

This one's tastefully done and you like the way it plays and the way it looks. You've got the money and half this forum has tried to persuade you into this purchase, just buy the thing already. It was made for a player like you!
    Quote Originally Posted by kevlar3000 View Post
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerberus View Post
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Quote Originally Posted by ginormous View Post
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by That90'sGuy View Post
    And that's the difference between a fan and a collector. A collector would take a look at the wretched inlay work and go "wow, a signature Les Paul"! A fan takes one look at it and goes "not what he actually uses, what the freak is that abomination?"

This one's tastefully done and you like the way it plays and the way it looks.
    Yus.
    - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

It's been a few days, so my suggestion would be ... go back to the store and go through all the same processes you went through the first time. If it still speaks to you, run, don't walk, from the store and return as quickly as possible with at least a holding deposit.

OTOH, if it no longer has the same appeal, stop at a bar on the way home and have a couple of drinks and be glad that you reappaised the guitar after a cooling-off period.

Personally, i feel that guitar should live in your house. But give it the opportunity to tell you that itself.
    Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER, NO STALKING !!!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    It's been a few days, so my suggestion would be ... go back to the store and go through all the same processes you went through the first time. If it still speaks to you, run, don't walk, from the store and return as quickly as possible with at least a holding deposit.

OTOH, if it no longer has the same appeal, stop at a bar on the way home and have a couple of drinks and be glad that you reappaised the guitar after a cooling-off period.

Personally, i feel that guitar should live in your house. But give it the opportunity to tell you that itself.
    In these situations, the specified return date to the store is part of my standard process.