Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bill Lawrence Pickups

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lightbulb Bill Lawrence Pickups

Can anyone tell me bout these pickups? Ive checked out their website and looked at the 500 series but they have no info on the difference between em cause theres 4 versions Theres C, R, L, and XL. I looked at harmony central reviews but that didnt really help. Also Which one does Nuno BettenCourt use im really digging his tone on "Play with me"?

The Duke Of Trades
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bill Lawrence Pickups

I love the real Bill Lawrence pups (both guitar and bass), but they take FOREVER to make them! IIRC, Nuno uses (or used?) the 500L.

theodie

I use the XL-500 and the L-500C in my Jackson soloist and love them. The "XL" is the hottest and the "C" is the weakest in output and also the brightest. If I remember right, My XL measures out at about 16 ohms and my C measures at about 5-6 ohms. From high output to low output they go in this order, XL, L, R, C.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, they make good pickups, but they can take forever to arrive. I was lucky that the one I ordered showed up in 3 weeks, but the average is usually 6-8 weeks, and I've heard of some people waiting as long as 12. They are a small business with only a handful of people, and they get a ton of emails, many of which go unanswered for long periods of time. As a result, you'll need to call them if you want to place an order or ask any questions.

Ryan
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hehe, not to mention ordering them from Holland, I was very lucky to own a real one! My L500XL is great for Rock and Metal. It has a tight bottom end a little bit of scooped mids (not too much though, kinda like the Dimebucker), and a great top end. This pick up spits harmonics, and sounds fat and defined for heavy riffs. It sounds best in mahogany though, because it could get bright in Alder, Ash or similar body woods. It is especially great for lower tunings, it gets more agressive than usual and has some sort of growl! If you want to hear it listen to the Peace Sells album from Megadeth, Dave uses the same pick up and you can totally nail that sound with a L500XL
    Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
    Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
    Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
    Marshall 2x12 Vintage
    Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh by the way, clean ups: Not too good! It sounds very unbalanced and on the bright side. But if you use the middle position with a warmer pick up (like the 59n) it'll add kind of a twang which sounds really cool
    Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)

Marshall 2x12 Vintage

theodie

Quote Originally Posted by Neeradj
    Oh by the way, clean ups: Not too good! It sounds very unbalanced and on the bright side. But if you use the middle position with a warmer pick up (like the 59n) it'll add kind of a twang which sounds really cool
    It really does have a cool sounding twang to it in the middle. Its sort of acoustic sounding. I have that sound in the middle position with the L-500C, and I have also got that sound with a PAF Pro in the neck.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah I got that sound with the Demon in the neck which is a little bass-heavy because of the neck-position, but still sounds so incredibly warm, almost like a '59 but still a little different.

Marshall 2x12 Vintage

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How does the L-500L compare to the L-500XL? Is the L just a lower output version of the XL or are there are differences in tone and timbre? Im thinking an L-500L would go nicely with wat i play but it may be to bright in my strat if its similar to the XL.

theodie

I have not played and "L" as of yet. I would like to try on though.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have an L-500XL made by the original Bill Lawrence company (www.billlawrenceusa.com) and it sounds just like you all are describing it - lots of harmonics, tight bottom end, great top end (a little bright so turn down the treble). It's very loud but not muddy sounding. Mine even does a nice country/blues twang when it's clean.

But mine didn't take months to get here 'cause I just ordered it from a mail order company (www.elderly.com).

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesman75
    I have an L-500XL made by the original Bill Lawrence company (www.billlawrenceusa.com) and it sounds just like you all are describing it - lots of harmonics, tight bottom end, great top end (a little bright so turn down the treble). It's very loud but not muddy sounding. Mine even does a nice country/blues twang when it's clean.

But mine didn't take months to get here 'cause I just ordered it from a mail order company (www.elderly.com).
    this product pisses me off and confuses me at the same time!!!
    there are two locations for a 500XL
    this one,
    http://www.billlawrence.com/Pages/Pickup_Window/500.htm
    they offer this one with the thicker blade rails

and this one,
    http://www.billlawrenceusa.com/swamp...ls-L-500XL.htm
    with the thinner rails??? WTF ???

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Billlawrence.com is the webpage of the man himself bill lawrence the pickups there are made by bill himself. Bills name has been stolen in the past by his original partner and there are imitations of his pickups which im told are terrible.

Id get em from Bill himself in Holland rather then anywhere else just incase u pay good money for a fake.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SABOTAGE
    this product pisses me off and confuses me at the same time!!!
    there are two locations for a 500XL
    this one,
    http://www.billlawrence.com/Pages/Pickup_Window/500.htm
    they offer this one with the thicker blade rails

and this one,
    http://www.billlawrenceusa.com/swamp...ls-L-500XL.htm
    with the thinner rails??? WTF ???
    It's really not that confusing - just two different companies with the same name making the same product!

There's the original company (www.billlawrenceusa.com owned and run by Mr Wajcman who co-founded the company) and then there's the new company started by an ex-partner (www.billlawrence.com owned and run by Willi Stich, a/k/a "Bill Lawrence", who was also a co-founder of the original company). The problem is that the new company uses the same "Bill Lawrence" trademark, and same name for some of its pickups, as the original company. But some of that's being addressed as we speak, by the Patent and Trademark office. The original company has accused the new company of trademark infringement and has asked the Patent and Trademark office to cancel the registered "Bill Lawrence" trademark used by the new company.

Go here...

http://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/v?q...&pn2=&cop=&cn=

...to read all the documents in the case and to see how it turns out. The documents are in pdf form in the "Prosecution History" section. The cancellation petition filed by the original company is the document at the bottom of the list, filed 6/28/2004.
    Last edited by Bluesman75; 12-22-2004 at 08:28 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To be fair, the name wasn't "stolen." Apparently, Bill allowed pickups to be marketed under his name in exchange for compensation. I agree that it is confusing and they should use a different name, but a contract is a contract. If I started a pickup company and called it "Seymour Duncan USA," I'm sure I would be shut down immediately. But if I had a contract in which Seymour allowed me to market pickups under his name in exchange for money, then it's a different story.

Ryan

mrid_part_deux

Quote Originally Posted by rspst14
    To be fair, the name wasn't "stolen." Apparently, Bill allowed pickups to be marketed under his name in exchange for compensation.
    That's my understanding as well. Unfortunately, Bill Lawrence isn't as good a businessman as he is a pickup maker.

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well underthose circumstances i take back what i said bout his name being stolen though i still wouldnt buy bill lawrence pickups from anyone but the man himself since my understanding is the stew mac pickups are terrible and it doesnt do bill lawrence anygood having his name on crappy pickups when the real deals are quite unique and great pickups.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rspst14
    To be fair, the name wasn't "stolen." Apparently, Bill allowed pickups to be marketed under his name in exchange for compensation. I agree that it is confusing and they should use a different name, but a contract is a contract. If I started a pickup company and called it "Seymour Duncan USA," I'm sure I would be shut down immediately. But if I had a contract in which Seymour allowed me to market pickups under his name in exchange for money, then it's a different story.

Ryan
    FYI - The situation is not that Bill "allowed" another company to market pickups with "his name". The company that he used to co-own (www.billlawrenceusa.com), and that owns the "Bill Lawrence" trademark, is still in business, even though Bill has had nothing to do with the company for the last 20 years.

It's kind of like the situation with Leo Fender and the Fender company; after Leo was no longer there, the company continued to own the "Fender" trademark and market products with it. The original Bill Lawrence company sold products with the "Bill Lawrence" trademark when Bill was with the company and still does, even though Bill's no longer there.

But the original company has not given permission to Bill to use the "Bill Lawrence" trademark to market his new pickups. That's why they've asked the Patent and Trademark office to cancel Bill's registered trademark. Be sure to visit this link...

...and read the cancellation petition. There's lots of good information.
    Last edited by Bluesman75; 12-23-2004 at 10:13 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesman75
    It's really not that confusing - just two different companies with the same name making the same product!

There's the original company (www.billlawrenceusa.com owned and run by Mr Wajcman who co-founded the company) and then there's the new company started by an ex-partner (www.billlawrence.com owned and run by Willi Stich, a/k/a "Bill Lawrence", who was also a co-founder of the original company). The problem is that the new company uses the same "Bill Lawrence" trademark, and same name for some of its pickups, as the original company. But some of that's being addressed as we speak, by the Patent and Trademark office. The original company has accused the new company of trademark infringement and has asked the Patent and Trademark office to cancel the registered "Bill Lawrence" trademark used by the new company.

Go here...

...to read all the documents in the case and to see how it turns out. The documents are in pdf form in the "Prosecution History" section. The cancellation petition filed by the original company is the document at the bottom of the list, filed 6/28/2004.
    thnaks for clearing that up, now on to my next question
    why does the two 500XL's look and sound different from one another?
    one has the larger(thicker) blades and the other has the skinnier blades?
    I was told that the ones from BL USA have a trebly,thin tone and have a resistance of 11K and the ones from BL.com have a 16.2K resistance and sound full,ballsy,and just plain "better" and are the ones that dime from pantera used before going to duncans?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Back stories aside, buy from www.billlawrence.com, not the other place. The only place to get the real BL pickups made by the man himself is through his site. I ordered a 280S noiseless Strat pickup a while back, and it was only $40! They don't do much in the way of advertising, and they are a small family-run business, which allows them to keep prices low.

Ryan