Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Carvin Jason Becker Model OMGAW

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New Carvin Jason Becker Model OMGAW

Jeez/// I just realized mine had the real Jackson headstock too.. I took a bath on this axe.. plus it was such a freakin monster player.. Waaaah........
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I bought an older straight/pointy headstock DC127 from the 90s this year and the profile is MUCH different than my 5 year old DC127...much thinner and faster, more comfortable to my hands. I wish they would offer that older profile as an option (and no before someone pipes in, not an option 50.)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Overall, this thread makes me sad looking at the pics of Jason Becker, because the raw deal life dealt him is just wrong.

But to get back to the guitar....

I had the EXACT same guitar in an ebony fretboard version, due to a custom shop order that I found, and traded a Bonnie Raite strat for....

The problem I had with it, and every Carvin is those cheap electronics and pickups. Carvin makes a great guitar, then spoils it with inferior pickups and electronics. That's what much of the bad rap is all about. So, you've got to approach them as guitars that should be gutted and rewired with aftermarket pickups. Are they still a pain to overhaul due to pickup ring misalignment, or did that get addressed from then till now?

That's the deal with Carvins.

They seem to have more mojo than a lot of other brands, and definitely better construction. But the problem is the whole crappy pots, sh1tty pickups deal. And using speakers that suck. And nobody needs a bunch of mini switches like a BC Rich.

When a true gear head looks at Carvin, it's a double edged sword, because there's a lot of plusses....made in USA, nice wood, options, modern look, etc. It comes down to the fact that they cut corners, and it appears that they would have been smarter to upgrade all that and elevate their brand to a higher level.

Why don't they do that? That is the question, and the reason both Carvin and Peavey have hit left and right of center. A few bad ideas like poor electronics or ugly designs. Getting those things wrong means the difference between being them and Fender/Gibson/PRS/Martin/Taylor/Fulltone.

Carvin and Peavey both suffer from this major dilemma. Is there a job available at either of these two companies for a fix it man? It's an easy job. Stop cutting corners, and charge a few bucks more!
    Last edited by Gearjoneser; 05-16-2012 at 01:11 AM.
    If you play guitar chest-high, you play from your heart.

If you play guitar waist-high, you play from your guts.

If you play guitar low, you play from your huevos.

Dawn Of The Shred TheLivingDead's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've definitely heard that. Really not a deal breaker for me though as I normally gut my guitars anyways. But yeah, It'd be nice if there were at least nice pots from the start.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I thought it was this guitar you were talking about:

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ya know, I'll probably end up picking that up one day. But even as gaudy as my tastes are, I'm just not a big fan of that headstock. Maybe I'll just throw my own together. Should be waaaaay cheaper that way.

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just can't play a carvin. I don't like the feel, it's a bit plasticy, and the tone is just dead. no character. Even worse than PRS...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Funny thing is... I've never even touched a Carvin! That worries me though as I do loathe most PRS's because of their toyish, light feel. Maybe it's just the new Carvins and the crappy electronics?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have played plenty of Carvins, I wouldn't call them plasticky although they DO tend to sound bright and with neutral character, however I STRONGLY feel that this has more to do with the electronics and pickups than anything else. Plus, I've played a few real gems that sounded amazing whatever they were being played through...
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay View Post
    I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by That90'sGuy View Post
    Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TheLivingDead View Post
    Funny thing is... I've never even touched a Carvin! That worries me though as I do loathe most PRS's because of their toyish, light feel. Maybe it's just the new Carvins and the crappy electronics?
    You are missing out on good guitar with incredible value. I almost bought one back in 1995, neck-thru body (poplar), ebony fretboard, truss rod cover engraved with my name, original Floyd Rose, Made in USA, everything for US$ 500, but since the waiting time was 3 months, I gave up on it and got a Valley Arts instead. Wrong decision.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Back in 85, I was building my own homemade guitar based on the shape of a Californian by Domino guitar I used to have in my teens. I got the Carvin 24.75" glue in neck w/flying V headstock. In those days, Carvins stuff was very good. The switches were all Switchcraft, and the M22 N & M22 SD pups were and mine still are amazing sounding pups. In those days, they were using Kahler tremolo bridges, and Schaller hardware. The electronics kit that I ordered was fantastic. After all these years, I just recently have to replace the pots. The kit came with stereo wiring option, which I used. It was all passive electronics. The new electronics are what I don't care for in the new models. My neck, also came w/brass nut, which was used then. It is 12" radius w/ebony board and dot inlays. A wonderful neck. I glued it into a one piece Black walnut body that I built from a block of wood I bought for $5.00 then.
    Last edited by Strat111; 05-17-2012 at 11:40 AM.
    Farhad aka Strat111

"The older I get, the better I used to be".
    Woke up this morning, sticky, broke, & confused.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Ascension's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gearjoneser View Post
    Overall, this thread makes me sad looking at the pics of Jason Becker, because the raw deal life dealt him is just wrong.

But to get back to the guitar....

I had the EXACT same guitar in an ebony fretboard version, due to a custom shop order that I found, and traded a Bonnie Raite strat for....

The problem I had with it, and every Carvin is those cheap electronics and pickups. Carvin makes a great guitar, then spoils it with inferior pickups and electronics. That's what much of the bad rap is all about. So, you've got to approach them as guitars that should be gutted and rewired with aftermarket pickups. Are they still a pain to overhaul due to pickup ring misalignment, or did that get addressed from then till now?

That's the deal with Carvins.

They seem to have more mojo than a lot of other brands, and definitely better construction. But the problem is the whole crappy pots, sh1tty pickups deal. And using speakers that suck. And nobody needs a bunch of mini switches like a BC Rich.

When a true gear head looks at Carvin, it's a double edged sword, because there's a lot of plusses....made in USA, nice wood, options, modern look, etc. It comes down to the fact that they cut corners, and it appears that they would have been smarter to upgrade all that and elevate their brand to a higher level.

Why don't they do that? That is the question, and the reason both Carvin and Peavey have hit left and right of center. A few bad ideas like poor electronics or ugly designs. Getting those things wrong means the difference between being them and Fender/Gibson/PRS/Martin/Taylor/Fulltone.

Carvin and Peavey both suffer from this major dilemma. Is there a job available at either of these two companies for a fix it man? It's an easy job. Stop cutting corners, and charge a few bucks more!
    Disagree with this BIG time!
    Most of my older Carvins stayed stock in the electronics. While they have their own voice in the pickups I actually like the way that they sound and the feel and taper of the pots.
    My 1990 X220C is stone stock with the M22SD and M22N and the factory pots and I won't touch it. Old Carvins flat SCREAM like nothing else through a nice Marshall!
    "Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe."

Frederick Douglas

Ultimate Tone Slacker Ascension's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is a in stock Blue Flame DC127 that is a clone of the JB without the actives for hundreds less!!
    http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitars...?Serial=111026
    "Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe."

Frederick Douglas

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ah, very nice Ascension!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just scored a Carvin off Craigslist for $600. it's a 2011 ST300 with...

Pointy headstock
    Maple wings and neck
    Ebony fretboard (no inlays)
    SS jumbo frets
    OFR and locking nut
    Sperzel locking tuners
    Dunlop straplocks
    Single volume pot (no tone) - my favorite set-up
    3-way blade pickup selector
    2 humbuckers
    Entire guitar finished in glossy Ferrari Red badassssssssss!
    Black hardware
    Black Carvin logo
    Hardshell case

a great friggin deal, imo.

this guitar has the same feel, vibe, and craftsmanship of my $2000+ custom shop Jackson and B.C. Rich guitars. maybe it doesn't have quite the bling and mojo, but for $600 this is one badass guitar. jaw-dropping value. I'm still shocked.

the neck is a bit thicker than my Jacksons....I like!

I can't comment on Carvin's pups and electronics, cause the previous owner replaced it all (even the wiring). the pups are DMZ Super 3 (bridge) and Humbucker from Hell (neck).

I'm NEVER selling this guitar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rotting casket View Post

Pointy headstock
    Maple wings and neck
    SS jumbo frets
    OFR and locking nut
    Sperzel locking tuners
    Dunlop straplocks
    2 humbuckers
    Black hardware
    Black Carvin logo
    Hardshell case

this guitar has the same feel, vibe, and craftsmanship of my $2000+ custom shop Jackson and B.C. Rich guitars. maybe it doesn't have quite the bling and mojo, but for $600 this is one badass guitar. jaw-dropping value. I'm still shocked.

I can't comment on Carvin's pups and electronics, cause the previous owner replaced it all (even the wiring). the pups are DMZ Super 3 (bridge) and Humbucker from Hell (neck).

pics!!!
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ill chime in with this. People slag carvin's pickups and electronics and many people plan slag Carvin.. They make great guitars.. I think they had a period where the guitars werent as soulful as the earlier ones, cux of the way they were building the necks and trying to keep them straight. Its my understanding that this has been rectified.
    Their pickups sound great in the right guitar. Some people love them and I had a couple of Carvins that killed stock. I had a couple that I swapped the pups in. They are better than alot of OEM pups. I dont care for most Gibson pickups either..
    Also, I have not had any more problems with carvin electronics than any other. Except in one guitar. I wanted to put cts pots and had to make alil room. no probs in others

Jol Dantzig

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rotting casket View Post

Pointy headstock
    Maple wings and neck
    SS jumbo frets
    OFR and locking nut
    Sperzel locking tuners
    Dunlop straplocks
    2 humbuckers
    Black hardware
    Black Carvin logo
    Hardshell case

Niiiice. Pics, man! Pics!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Love Jason Becker and love that Carvin. Glad to see him getting royalties.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

sweet axes, love the vid clip