Thread: JB -vs- Duncan Distortion in a poplar Jackson?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default JB -vs- Duncan Distortion in a poplar Jackson?

I have a poplar Mike Shannon Custom Shop Jackson SL2H-V that compared to my Custom Charvel has less defined percussive lows, less growl, and sounds less open overall, and I was wondering if a Duncan Distortion in it, rather than the JB that's in it now (Charvel has a JB too) would get the Jackson closer to matching up with the Charvel, since a JB and Duncan Distortion have a similar EQ curve, which is good since I like high mids for cut and singing leads, but the Distortion has a ceramic magnet that might tighten up the lows, have a little more growl, be a little louder, and open it up a little? It also have a '59 in the neck on the Jackson, which lacks enough sweetness on leads & harmonies, and is slightly muddy overall, and on cleans it sounds kind of boring, so I was thinking maybe a Jazz, since my Jazz in my old Rhoads always sounded much better than a '59, any thoughts guys?
    Last edited by T. Erickson; 05-11-2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Made it more specific overall.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: JB -vs- Duncan Distortion in a poplar Jackson?

makes sense to me.

I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ditto

Your analysis of the tonal situation, and the impact of those pups seems very astute.
    Quote Originally Posted by jon the art guy View Post
    Aceman, your advice was a rich tapestry of hard-fought research, blood, sweat and tears and the homespun wisdom we've all learned to expect and relish from our itinerant face-painted lunatic. I would like to award you a internet trophy for "best comment on a proco rat discussion". Let it be written in the annals of history; Aceman sure as heck helped.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks, I've owned a ton of different Charvel/Jackson guitars from RR-1's to natural Charvel's, and each had it's challenges to get the tone I like. In the process I've tried a lot of options and learned a lot, even though at the time some solutions were very challenging and required trying a bunch of pickups to find the right one for the specific guitar. This Jackson is going to be my new main guitar hopefully, so I'm crossing my fingers that I'm right about how to get to what I want it to sound like.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To me the Alternative 8 is the answer. But you will like the Distortion as well.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A friend of mine has a similar situation.

He uses a JB in a Jackson Kelly KE1. I use a Duncan Distortion in a BC Rich NT Warlock. he just bought an Ibanez 7, but wants it to sound closer to the JB & Distortion. The Alt 8 is a similar wind to the JB, but a little tighter and growlier, yeah?

H8Red442

I have Jazz and Distortion combos in all my Jacksons. Great combo.

Ultimate Tone Slacker metalmachine's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by frankfalbo View Post
    To me the Alternative 8 is the answer. But you will like the Distortion as well.
    glad u said that frank. i was thinking that. i dont feel this pup gets enough credit.

Underglazed Hair Metalologist 80's_Metal's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Distortion is the only pup I ever liked in my jacksons....
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi! and she wouldn't give it to me! Just a Pepsi!

Banned
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Arrow Re: JB -vs- Duncan Distortion in a poplar Jackson?

Quote Originally Posted by frankfalbo View Post
    while the Alt8 will open it up a bit and be a little louder, I find it to not have lows that are any tighter than the JB. I can qualify that by saying that as everything is dialed up a notch on the Alt-8, the lows might seem tighter relatively speaking... but in my experience, swapping out a JB for an Alt-8 had about the same low end. however, I'm not one of the ones that thinks the JB is as flabby as some seem to think. for what the OP is saying, and based on my experience, I'd go with an Alt-8 if I were not sticking with a JB.

I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes...if going JB. But let's face it - we all love the Distortion.
    Quote Originally Posted by jon the art guy View Post
    Aceman, your advice was a rich tapestry of hard-fought research, blood, sweat and tears and the homespun wisdom we've all learned to expect and relish from our itinerant face-painted lunatic. I would like to award you a internet trophy for "best comment on a proco rat discussion". Let it be written in the annals of history; Aceman sure as heck helped.

Ultimate Tone Member Dark Order Lord's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Might I suggest a pickup thats a bit like the SH6 except alot MORE growly in the mids and especcially designed for tremelo guitars....The Parrallel Axis Distortion Seymour Duncan DISTORTION Parrallell Axis/

Listen to this pickup in my Mahogany Flying V stright into a TSL 100 Marshall - NO FX and this pickup has a similar tone curve to the SH6, just a little less sharp:

PA TB 2b through Marchall TSL100

So basically, imagine that sound, just a little tighter on poplar.
    Last edited by Dark Order Lord; 05-13-2012 at 10:57 PM.
    DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Ultimate Tone Slacker metalmachine's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have never used the patb in real life but from what I heard they may be exactly what he is looking for. Although it may get too compressed for him. Again I haven't played it in real life I am just going by clips and what I have heard ppl say.

Banned
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The PATB-1 is a solid pickup as well. louder than it seems, yet open and articulate. I tried one in a basswood Charvel Predator tuned to D and liked it better than the Alt-8 in the same guitar.