Thread: NEED MORE HELP AGAIN!

Hybrid View

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Exclamation NEED MORE HELP AGAIN!

So I play metal, I've already decided to go with the dimebucker for the bridge, but I just dont know which neck pick up to use. I don't want to sound like every other guitarist out there, Im looking for killer distortion that'll send chills down your spine, like maybe a sound combination of Kerry King, Mustaine, and Dimebag, I dont know if thats even possible. I'm lookin thorugh all the brands of pickups, and I much rather prefer some passive pickups, maybe Invaders? , I've been searching everywhere and found nothing to help me. BTW I use a Jackson Kelly(bolt-on), and I have a Line 6 head with a Marshall and a Hartke cabinet. Looking to save up for a Randall full stack

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: NEED MORE HELP AGAIN!

neither of those guys are known for their neckpickup usage

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do you plan on using the neck pickup? There's no need to replace it if you never use it.
    "Their children also shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses shall be spoiled, and their wives ravished." Isaiah 13:16

"Kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves." Numbers 31:17-18

Want to trade? You go first. I've got over 11,000 feedback as a seller on eBay.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

yep I do plan on using the neck pickup

and actually yes dimebag has his dimebucker and dimetime, dave mustaine has his signature live wire pickups, and i just like the tone kerry gets

Ultimate Tone Slacker metalmachine's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

you want a distortion class bridge and a paf style neck. and dime is the only one that uses his neck pick up a lot out of the three and that was for leads. he liked the 59 for the neck

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by metalmachine View Post
    he liked the 59 for the neck
    yup, or in some cases, the Super Distortion he used whatever
    stock pickups his guitar came with.

OP, in the case of Mustaine, can you actually pinpoint a certain
    song where he's using the neckpickup?
    Also, the 'DimeTime' were made by Dean several years after
    Dimes untimely passing...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DeanSweden View Post
    yup, or in some cases, the Super Distortion he used whatever
    stock pickups his guitar came with.

OP, in the case of Mustaine, can you actually pinpoint a certain
    song where he's using the neckpickup?
    Also, the 'DimeTime' were made by Dean several years after
    Dimes untimely passing...
    tRue this

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Heres a better way to go about this. The kelly you have already has a stock pickup in it. What about that pickup do you not like? Do you need more output? More bass? Less bass? Tighter? fatter? Who cares what the other guys used you need to find what suits you. So figure out what your missing and what direction you want to head in then i can give you a suggestion on what you might like.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Its just not the right sound I want. I honestly have no idea EXACTLY what I want, I'm just using the other guitarists sound as example.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kidshredder667 View Post
    Its just not the right sound I want. I honestly have no idea EXACTLY what I want, I'm just using the other guitarists sound as example.
    This is like taking your car to the mechanic and saying "My car doesnt run" or going to the doctor and just saying "I'm sick"

Work with me here you say its not the sound I want. What is wrong with that sound? I'm starting to get the feeling that whats lacking isnt with the pickups but more likely a deficiency in your amp.

You keep citing players as your model for the sound you want theres a big issue with that though none of them were big neck pickup players. Dimebag occasionally soloed using the neck thats it. I can play the whole megadeth and slayer catalogs using only the bridge pickup.

So help me help you tell me whats wrong with your rig and we can help you fix it.

And please dont think im coming down on you. This is what im looking at. You seem to be just getting started you have a relatively basic gear set up so im going to guess you dont have money falling out your ears so you kinda need to spend it in the right places. I would hate for us to tell you spend 80 bucks on xxxx pickup and it doesnt do what you want. I'm just trying to steer you in the right direction
    Last edited by Edgecrusher; 05-23-2012 at 11:28 PM.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post
    This is like taking your car to the mechanic and saying "My car doesnt run" or going to the doctor and just saying "I'm sick"

Work with me here you say its not the sound I want. What is wrong with that sound? I'm starting to get the feeling that whats lacking isnt with the pickups but more likely a deficiency in your amp.

You keep citing players as your model for the sound you want theres a big issue with that though none of them were big neck pickup players. Dimebag occasionally soloed using the neck thats it. I can play the whole megadeth and slayer catalogs using only the bridge pickup.

So help me help you tell me whats wrong with your rig and we can help you fix it.

And please dont think im coming down on you. This is what im looking at. You seem to be just getting started you have a relatively basic gear set up so im going to guess you dont have money falling out your ears so you kinda need to spend it in the right places. I would hate for us to tell you spend 80 bucks on xxxx pickup and it doesnt do what you want. I'm just trying to steer you in the right direction

Well the amp and everything is fine I'm sure because when I play my Ibanez and LTD through it , it sounds amazing. Then I plug in the Jackson and get more feedback. Im always changing the setting on the amp too. When i play the neck pup through clean channel it just has a real cheap tone, seems like too much of a mid tone rather than treble and bass, it is very annoying and i do not enjoy it at all.Then when I bust out distortion it seems very dull and barely holds the note. I am constantly using the bridge pup through distortion and clean, because it just sounds better overall and holds notes longer and can handle the distortion. I play the Jackson in drop C and D standard. 10-52 gauge string
    Last edited by kidshredder667; 05-24-2012 at 10:38 AM.

Banned
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the quick version is the '59 neck or the Full Shred neck.

the '59n will be a little more open and, but be fuller sounding which might come off as boomy/bassy.

the FSn will be a little more compressed but have a tighter low end with a focus on the mids and highs.

I sorta think you'd be happier with the '59n, since you've made reference to it and reference to Dime. you can get away with $50 for them on ebay if you are patient... maybe less. just be sure to get the 4-con lead so you have versatility if you want it - like splitting the coils to get a nice clean tone. if you discover it is close, but not quite there, an A4 mag swap can sure a lot of the concerns that it sounds like you have.

if you don't like the '59n or if you grow out of it as you develop your tone, it's a common pickup that people typically always want and you should be able to pretty much break even and get a FSn for about the same amount. I'd encourage you to go with the FSn first, but there doesn't appear to be the same market for them so you might have a hard time selling it off to finance the '59n.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I guess I want a neck pickup that can handle a lot of distortion, and has some bass, but not too much bass. I will be all over the neck with this pickup too.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah dimebucker and 59 is a great combo from metal