Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Positive body images?

Default Re: Positive body images?

Obsessing over body image is silly. Your body is a machine, the important thing is how it runs (health). Eat well, exercise, and if you have to measure yourself, do it based on performance in the sports that you do . . . not superficial 'image' crap. I'm happy with how I do in Jiu-Jitsu tournaments and soccer matches, and I've been making progress lifting weights. Things are much improved from the time that I was a weak, fat kid in elementary school not because of body image changes as much as an increase in confidence in my physical abilities.

i'm realistic
    it's not good
    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

John Mayer's Mankini ImmortalSix's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Would I be wearing this mankini?
    Last edited by ImmortalSix; 05-23-2012 at 08:19 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

well you shouldnt be! thats for damn sure.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalSix View Post
    Would I be wearing this mankini?
    I know I wouldn't, not even if I were John Mayer...
    Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Dawn Of The Shred TheLivingDead's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    dude you gotta get a grip. youre young and, no offense, maybe a little emotionally/mentally immature. a positive self image has more to do with your head than anything else. its great to be in good shape but if your gf has to tell you to stop then you got some bad wiring up there and need to mellow out.
    Cosigned. Chill, man.

You are Scottie:

You're creepin'. K?

Purveyor of Low End Bass_Medic_05's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm 5' 11" 196lbs I don't work out with weights, just push-ups, sit-ups and pull-ups and I run 2-3 days a week. Lifting heavy weights is not my thing anymoe. I dont' want to get big just fit, I have the P90X, I really want to start it before I deploy, it seems I am in the best shape during a deployment lol.
    BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
    Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
    Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
    Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)/Ovation CC-074
    Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
    Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
    Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
    Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
    Fender Jazz Bass fretless (Black)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
    Gibson EBO AMPS: [I]Fender 300w tube head/Eden 4x10 1x15

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bass_Medic_05 View Post
    I'm 5' 11" 196lbs I don't work out with weights, just push-ups, sit-ups and pull-ups and I run 2-3 days a week. Lifting heavy weights is not my thing anymoe. I dont' want to get big just fit, I have the P90X, I really want to start it before I deploy, it seems I am in the best shape during a deployment lol.
    I have an F90X

Haul this badboy around, biceps in no time!

I'm fairly happy with my fitness, but not so happy with my shape. I don't have a big gut, but I'd like to return some smaller waist sizes.
    "The amp has been making a lot of noise and acting funky, perhaps it may be aware of the amount of rock it's about to be punished with" ~GearMannDude
    "30 days of dating doesn't seem like cheating. It seems like legitimate playing the field, and you happened to catch a pop fly..." ~Aceman
    "If all else fails, wank, fall asleep, come back to it the next day." ~GuitarStv
    "The crowd has no perception of tone...only timing and flow." ~Glassman

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You know, I've been sitting (not literally) on my P90X DVD for years. Maybe I'll bust it out. Does it allow for smoke breaks?

cg
    Last edited by exnihilo; 05-25-2012 at 11:42 AM.
    -Blasphemy is a victimless crime

http://howdovaccinescauseautism.com/

cg

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarStv View Post
    Obsessing over body image is silly. Your body is a machine, the important thing is how it runs (health). Eat well, exercise, and if you have to measure yourself, do it based on performance in the sports that you do . . . not superficial 'image' crap. I'm happy with how I do in Jiu-Jitsu tournaments and soccer matches, and I've been making progress lifting weights. Things are much improved from the time that I was a weak, fat kid in elementary school not because of body image changes as much as an increase in confidence in my physical abilities.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

yeah, i felt the same way lol

Lovely BIG Starologist bluesbend's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can't complain.
    Could be better, could be worse.

Attachment 30658
    Last edited by bluesbend; 05-26-2012 at 07:17 PM.
    " you tell it like you're barefoot while you wear those hundred dollar shoes. Yeah, you can shuck and jive me all ya want to but, please please please, don't tell me 'bout the blues!"......Buddy Guy

Varg

I think you all look really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Sports is just an easy way to judge your performance. If you don't play sports you can use other metrics . . . number of laps at the pool, minutes you can jog, weight you can lift, etc.

What I'm really trying to say is that how you look isn't really a great indicator of health. Judging your 'progress' in becoming more healthy by measuring the number of lbs gained/lost or how you look based on advertising is pretty stupid. I know guys who look kinda pudgey, but who are very strong and athletic . . . just as I know skinnier guys who look like they're in good shape but couldn't jog for 10 minutes without being winded. People get very hung up on looking a particular way, rather than actually being healthy . . . which is really a poor mindset.

Varg

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarStv View Post
    Sports is just an easy way to judge your performance. If you don't play sports you can use other metrics . . . number of laps at the pool, minutes you can jog, weight you can lift, etc.

What I'm really trying to say is that how you look isn't really a great indicator of health. Judging your 'progress' in becoming more healthy by measuring the number of lbs gained/lost or how you look based on advertising is pretty stupid. I know guys who look kinda pudgey, but who are very strong and athletic . . . just as I know skinnier guys who look like they're in good shape but couldn't jog for 10 minutes without being winded. People get very hung up on looking a particular way, rather than actually being healthy . . . which is really a poor mindset.
    You have it right. My wife looks hot, slim with curves in the right places. But she can hardly walk up a hill.
    I don't ask her to walk up many hills though, so it's fine by me.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Beer$ View Post
    How many of you are happy with your body? Whether or not you have a good body.

Excuse me if I'm not making complete sense. I've had a bout of insomnia and didn't sleep a minute. I saw a thread about walking around shirtless and it made me think.
    ==========================================

Some people will never be happy with themselves period . Some try to satisfy that [ something ] they don't have - like a killer body - a killer guitar(s) - car(s) and lot's of $'s to burn and party on .

And no matter what they do they are somehow depressed when it all comes down to what counts in their lives .

Sad these types because outwardly most people don't really see what's really happening inside these depressed people('s) head(s) . The depression some suffer is dangerous sometimes to their friends and family as well as themselves .

What will make them happy when :

No work outs

No amount of $

No collection of cars - guitars - what ever makes them positive about themselves or life . Seems nothing will make these types of people happy because they are not happy with themselves .

When your like this you can't really be happy with anyone or any toys and these types of individuals can drag down people around them like their families and loved ones .

With some it's a matter of being born that way . With others it's a question of how they were raised as a child and how their environment contributed to their condition .

And the last group did it to themselves , whether unknowingly or not they abused any of the things in life that too much of is deadly for you .

How ever there are many who over come these above mentioned obstacles that life throws at them and deal with it to the point of rising above the distraction and forge ahead to a better place and feel the better for it too .

Don't sweat the " how do I look on the outside $hit " man . Think about what is inside you first that makes your friends and family happy about you , the rest will take it's course .

Friends and family look at what your made of from the face backwards to your heart and head . That and the actions in life you make define who you are .

Anyone who would judge you other wise whether family or friend shows their true colors and that is the color of envy and jealousy if they knock how you look .

That or they take pleasure in hurting others with course words and actions .<===<<<- these types are not your friends at all .

Easy man :

Hurricane Ramon
    It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    Dude you gotta get a grip. youre young and, no offense, maybe a little emotionally/mentally immature. a positive self image has more to do with your head than anything else. its great to be in good shape but if your gf has to tell you to stop then you got some bad wiring up there and need to mellow out.
    You try and get a grip and mellow out when someone tries to murder you in your own house.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLivingDead View Post
    Cosigned. Chill, man.

You are Scottie:

You're creepin'. K?
    What??
    Last edited by Beer$; 06-21-2012 at 10:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    When I have a craving to for an acoustic sound, i go outside and punch a tree until my fists are bloody then plug in my SG and rock out like a man!!
    My band:

Keep up to date on our ReverbNation

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm 58. I am a Cancer Survivor. I walk somewhere between 15 to 20 miles a week. I walk 5 to 5.5 miles every day in about an hour. I am in OK shape but I have a little bit of a gut that I would rather not have. I just don't have the desire to work that hard to get rid of it. The walking has helped me regain my Stamina that I lost after being treated with radiation. I feel amazingly better now & I am content with who I am. I can actually play golf now & not run out of gas after 14 holes. So the walking has done what I needed it to do! And I STILL play guitars nearly every day.
    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Beer$ View Post
    You try and get a grip and mellow out when someone tries to murder you in your own house.
    relax dude. maybe that's the issue. it's not that you're not good enough and need to work harder and has very little to do with what you look like, you just need to come to terms with what happened and realize that it's over, and if you spend your whole life trying to be "prepared for next time", you won't have a life at all.

bad **** happens to good people and nobody knows why. if you let it scar you for life, than you're just losing your life in a different way.

would it help to move somewhere else? a different house i mean...i get that sometimes a different town isn't possible.
    SOON, WE WILL ALL HAS A FLAVR!!1!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To me everything boils down to sexual vigor.