Thread: 911 dispatcher sleeping on the job

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 911 dispatcher sleeping on the job

Back in April, a woman's husband started choking.

She did what most people would do: called for an ambulance.

Unfortunately, the person her call was transferred to was so sound asleep, he was snoring into his headset. Admittedly, he was on hour 17 of a 24-hour shift.

link

"Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
    --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewguitar View Post
    In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: 911 dispatcher sleeping on the job

the conditions some 911 operators work in are really deplorable. one lady i worked with in my last job was a 911 operator at one point. she worked graveyard, a 12-hour shift. she was the only one there, so she was almost literally chained to her desk the whole time. she wasn't even allowed to have a bathroom break in the whole 12 hours.

pretty important position to have someone work a 24-hour shift, wouldn't you think?
    SOON, WE WILL ALL HAS A FLAVR!!1!

17 hour shifts for dispatchers who are involved in critical decision making for life or death situations? The scenarios could be significantly worse than a snoring guy on the line . . . jobs like this should be treated like pilots (mandatory maximum hours worked) to ensure public safety.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

+1 to all the above.

I can't understand or justify how anyone would allow a 24-hour shift (straight through!) for such a critical position.

The man in question is vetted as an experienced fireman. Emergency workers and first responders need to rest. That's why there are sliding poles in fire houses: so that the front-line guys can get out of bed, slap their boots on, jump downstairs and rush to the scene.

Exhaustion diminishes critical and cognitive thinking as much as alcohol consumption. You want whoever picks up that call to be sharp as a tack. Whatever the bean counters are doing, they're doing it wrong.

"Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
    --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewguitar View Post
    In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Penultimate Tone Slacker stratobastard's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarStv View Post
    17 hour shifts for dispatchers who are involved in critical decision making for life or death situations? The scenarios could be significantly worse than a snoring guy on the line . . . jobs like this should be treated like pilots (mandatory maximum hours worked) to ensure public safety.
    I agree!
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA111111111111-6.jpg[/IMG]

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Emergency response centers generally do not have a lot of budget allocated. That is why you always hear about several counties ER centers merging to save money.

I don't care what job you have, after so long you feel the effects. I've pulled a few 24+ hour shifts in my career of IT, and you can tell your body and mind start to fade.

I hope this incident brings some change to the 911 system in their region.

Digitally Challenged Mr 9finger's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have few other things to do, but I'll actually post something about this shortly as I grew up in a LE family. My mom was a dispatcher for several years and the 911 coordinator up until she retired about 5 years ago.
    Last edited by Mr 9finger; 05-23-2012 at 06:13 PM.
    Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarStv View Post
    Well it's tax money right? Just like fire departments. You can't have the fire department just put out random houses on fire.

If you want an awake operator in some parts of the US you have to pay into a special pool. Except that nobody ever tells you about it.

Jessie's ghost

It costs money to staff an emergency call center properly, and people don't like to pay high taxes, so…

Lucidfer, Lord of Darkness Lucid_Lunatic's Avatar
    Putting the "FUN" in functional alcoholic
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I got fired once for sleeping in an air conditioner vent when I worked a stint at a grocery store.

Digitally Challenged Mr 9finger's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As was already mentioned, it all comes down to budgets. Especially if this took place in a small town/county. I'll go out on a limb and say that prob 80% or more of the small towns with call centers are under staffed and overworked. If you've barely got enough staff to cover the shifts you've got, and someone gets sick or has to call in, it complicates the problem even more. More often than not, 911 call centers have 2x as many part time dispatchers than they do full time because the budget can't accommodate more full time staff. Most of the time, those part timers are already full time EMS, Fire, and Police officers looking to pick up extra money. So again, you've got someone that's already working 40+ at their full time job and taking shifts at the call center.

The seriously messed up thing is, they can't or often don't hire part time off the street because it is, for the most part, a boring job that doesn't pay much and has a high turnover rate. Plus the training and certifications that are supposed to have, cost a lot of time and money to get. If they hire from within the inner circle of LE/EMS/Fire, most of those people already have experience on the radio and procedures, so they don't cost nearly as much to train etc..

On top of that already being a clutterfut, not everyone/anyone can do it. You have to be a clear concise speaker, absorb and memorize a lot of different codes and procedures, as well as be a quick at critical thinking and multitasking.

It's not an easy job and the call center people don't get nearly enough credit that they deserve.
    Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Mojo's Minions Powdered Toast Man's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie's ghost View Post
    It costs money to staff an emergency call center properly, and people don't like to pay any taxes, so…
    Fixed.
    -
    My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well if they wanted care they should have bought their own ambulance instead of relying on other people's tax money! Serves them right. Right?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Let's each have our own police, too. With Uzis. And dragons.

Jessie's ghost

Quote Originally Posted by uOpt View Post
    Well if they wanted care they should have bought their own ambulance instead of relying on other people's tax money! Serves them right. Right?
    Must resist urge to post political comment…

INTENSELY corrosive sweat formula73's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie's ghost View Post
    Must resist urge to post political comment…
    Nicely done. That was definitely fishing with dynamite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    the Les Paul is the ultimate electric guitar.
    i know that's a pretty heavy statement to make and a bunch of dudes that love Teles and shredsticks are gona argue with me, but they're wrong.
    anything you can't do on a Les Paul is because you haven't practiced enough or you don't rock hard enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by sosomething View Post
    You put the "pow" in "power bottom."
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalManiac View Post
    *Thumpety Thump Thump Thump...WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP"

Purveyor of Low End Bass_Medic_05's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I agree on the shifts for 911 dispatchers, 24 hours is way to long. And working 12 hours without a bathroom break is retarded too. I work a 24 hour shift as a Paramedic firefighter, but I can sleep in between calls, there are those rare shift were we run all night. But I can honestly say in the 20 years doing the job I have never missed a call.

I sometimes would like to work just a 12 hour shift either day or night, but I like my 2 days off in between my shifts, and besides that I am just used to it after all this time.
    Last edited by Bass_Medic_05; 05-24-2012 at 02:51 AM.
    BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
    Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
    Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
    Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)/Ovation CC-074
    Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
    Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
    Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
    Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
    Fender Jazz Bass fretless (Black)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
    Gibson EBO AMPS: [I]Fender 300w tube head/Eden 4x10 1x15

Stratoblaster Tone Meister STRATDELUXER97's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bass_Medic_05 View Post
    I agree on the shifts for 911 dispatchers, 24 hours is way to long. And working 12 hours without a bathroom break is retarded too. I work a 24 hour shift as a Paramedic firefighter, but I can sleep in between calls, there are those rare shift were we run all night. But I can honestly say in the 20 years doing the job I have never missed a call.

I sometimes would like to work just a 12 hour shift either day or night, but I like my 2 days off in between my shifts, and besides that I am just used to it after all this time.
    Amen to that buddy! Even the 12s I currently work in the ER are too damn long! ;o)
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.