Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New rhythm guitar for recording advice

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default New rhythm guitar for recording advice

Hey guys! It's been a seriously long time since I've been around here, hope the place is going well.

I'm finally heading in to do a proper studio recording with the band I've been with for 6 years. We are really going all out with it and I want to use the opportunity to get the best rhythm guitar sound possible.

I've been happy with the sound from my Jackson Rhoads, however the floyd rose is getting really frustrating with heavier strings on there, especially being 25.5" scale and tuned in standard E. The back spring plate is screwed in nearly as far as it can go, and it's really hard to balance the tension. I can get it all nice and set up, but after playing for a while any slackening of the strings really makes a dramatic difference to the tuning and tilts the bridge back up a lot higher than regular strings.

So basically I want recommendations for a non-floyd rose guitar, with a sound similar to what I've been happy with in the Rhoads (Alder body, SD Distortion Trembucker, 11-54 strings).

I think I want to stick the 25.5" scale as I want a heavy but tight sound.
    I'm thinking a neck through/set neck may help as well.
    No preference on either hard tail or strings through body.

Also different pickups may be needed depending on the guitar suggestions!

Budget - anywhere from $400 to around $1500. New or second hand.

Thanks so much guys, can't wait to hear what you come up with!

Best regards,
    Danny.

(Ok well you read that far, here's a little more background info if you are really interested!)

Sound is the main concern, not brand name. E.g. I think a decent Epiphone will probably sound the same as a Gibson on the recording. Don't really care what it looks like either, unless it's an issue for re-sale later!

To describe one thing I love and think works really well would be that perfect amount of distortion where you have thick, grunty palm mutes that break up just enough when you really dig in, without getting saturated or fuzzy with distortion. Most of this is to do with the amp but I've found pickups make a huge difference too.

The other guitars I currently have are:
    Jackson Kelly: SD Custom bridge, SD '59 neck, floyd rose, bolt on neck, 10 - 46 strings.
    I'm really happy with this guitar for the lead sound and will play all the solos with it.

I also have a Samick guitar (in not so good shape) with an Invader in there. It does sound really beefy and heavy, but I hate how you lose some playing dynamics with it's 'distortion no matter what' approach. E.g. a softer palm mute yields similar fizzy distortion as a 'really having a dig' palm mute.

The playing style of the band is pretty traditional 80's metal, but with a bit of a modern power metal influence. I really want our album to sound along the lines of Iron Savior's 'Condition Red' album.

Our style is more traditional metal, but I would like the album to sound well balanced and quite polished.

No 80's grating treble/high mids.
    No modern scoop or competition to have the most earth shattering bass rumble.

Thanks again for reading!

John Mayer's Mankini ImmortalSix's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New rhythm guitar for recording advice

For recording, you want something that is going to stay in tune and be consistent.

I recommend a PRS SE

H8Red442

Get an RR1T off eBay. You can surely land one for less than $1500 though perhaps not immediately.

As for the OFR not leveling out, have you tried adding additional springs? What about installing a tremol-no or other trem blocker?

Stick with the Duncan Distortion. Those fat strings will be nice and tightened up with it. Perhaps drop the bass down to between 9 and 12 oclock on your amp's EQ.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Franknfilms's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jackson SLS3, there are some used ones on Musicians Friend. I'm not sure how you like to record, but if you are sitting down, this one will be more comfortable than a v shape.

1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard: Tim Shaw's
    Frankencaster: SM-3n Seymourized Mini, Norton
    Schecter C1+: 59n, Custom UOA5, Triple Shots
    Cruise Strat: EMG 58
    Peavey XXX 40efx head
    Egnater Tweaker 15
    Genz-Benz Tribal 2x12 cab, Eminence Private Jacks
    Crybaby, Earthquaker Tone Reaper, MXR Classic OD, Boss SD-1 keeley stacked, Hardwire Tuner, Ditto Delay, Hardwire RV-5

BadHairDayologist Empty Pockets's Avatar
    repeated exposure to high sound levels (more than 80 decibels)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You can make that Rhoads work. If you were in the Atlanta area i would have you bring it to my shop for a tutorial.
    green globe burned black by sunn

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So you don't think a floyd attached to a tiny v shaped body with a bolt on neck would have much impact on the overall sound, compared to something with a bit more meat?

Another factor I should have mentioned was shape... for comfort reasons it might be handy to be able to sit down if I'm going to try and nail everything perfectly for a few days straight haha! The V doesn't really play nice in that way :P Or maybe I'm just nervous because I've never recorded like this before!

h8red442 - Yeh blocking it up would definitely be a quick and cheap option, seeing as I could be chasing a sound I already sort of have

Thanks guys, looking up these options now. A few guitars I never thought I'd be looking at... hmmm PRS...?

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why do you have really heavy strings if you are tuned to E Standard? I know some peole prefer heavy gauges but usually not on a Floyd in standard tuning. I am not a fan of the PRS Se series but they were a great suggestion as would be the new Schecters that are mahogany/set neck, I am not siue of the scale though.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalSix View Post
    For recording, you want something that is going to stay in tune and be consistent.

I recommend a PRS SE

This is a great recommendation. These guitars sound great, are great for down tuning and will stay in tune too... I +1...
    "This is my hat now, this is totally my hat..."

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Esp horizon

Alder body? check
    stay in tune? check
    sound great with SD distortion? check
    around $1500 used? check

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just my own experience...

Are you going to double your tracks?? If so, I've found that if you get a nice room/studio sound, using that as a reference, back off the distortion a touch because when you double that distortion, it becomes a bit muddy unless you match your parts perfectly, and who has the time and money to do that?

And if you are single tracking, I would still back the distortion off just a touch, cause your sound might be good on it's own, but once you add other gtr, bass, drums, you will find that you need a bit more clarity to cut through and still distinguish your parts. And remember, you can always add distortion to a recorded track to improve it, but if you record with too much, you cant take it away.

In essense, it's best to get a clean, clear track to start with then add to it - and I don't mean clean as in tone, but in the signal going to "tape" being clean of static, unwanted hum etc clean.
    "My appartment smells of rich mahogany." Ron Burgandy, circa 1970's. ie, he must have a lot of Les Paul's hanging on the wall.

Mojo's Minions
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

+1 for the Schechter range.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think I'll have to walk into a store and try a couple out. I've never played a schecter or PRS but the idea is growing on me. I think I might even sacrifice the pickups out of the rhoads for the new guitar. I don't see a point having two guitars with the same/similar sound and I will still have a floyd equipped kelly.

Any objections to using the PATB distortion in a mahogany/set neck guitar like the schecters?

I think someone on here even had one in a Les Paul??

Thanks again!!!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I recommend a $20 trem blocker to get that Floyd under control.

And when recording rhythm guitar, record it much dryer than what sounds good alone (easy on reverb, chorus etc). You'll be thankful later, not to mention you can add effects later.

Varg

You love your Rhoads, but don't want a trem?

Duh?

Picture 074 by stormwatch1977, on Flickr

RR5!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you've already got one guitar you 'know', I'd say keep it that way. You don't need to be relearning how the thing sounds while you're in the studio.
    "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Banned
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalSix View Post

I recommend a PRS SE

Excellent suggestion. I have played the majority of those, and I own the Torero. The PRS wide-thin neck is perfect for rhythm. Reason being: It's thin and rounded. Also, it's wide like a Jackson neck. It's super comfy when the action is low.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok well I had a play around with a whole bunch of different guitars, although unfortunately didn't get my hands on any PRS or ESP models
    Some stand-outs were the set neck Schecters, Ibanez ARZ800 and a BC Rich mockingbird.

Well I managed to pick up a Schecter C-1 hellraiser second hand. It already had an EMG 81/85 set in there but the price was ok so I thought I could swap the pups out if I didn't like the EMGs.

I popped some fresh strings on there and had band prac the night I bought it. Man I'm far more impressed than I thought I'd be. The guitar feels really well made, and sounds really strong and clear acoustically. After the strings settled a bit it held it's tuning quite well. The neck is a lot thicker than the Jacksons but

I was also surprised by the EMG 81 in the bridge. In this mahogany body/set neck combo I think it works great! Really thick grunt in the bottom end/low mids, it feels a lot more powerful than the passive Duncans.

However I was swapping back and forth between this and my other guitars, and the 81 doesn't stand out as much in the full band mix. There's a bit of treble buzz hanging around in there too but I think I'll be able to sort all that out with a bit of EQ.

So after all that I'm still going to take on a few of the suggestions from everyone and have the Rhoads set up with one of the trem block/tremol-no things as well. The Duncans suit that guitar like a dream, so it would be pretty ridiculous to rip them outta there.

And I don't think anyone here would disagree with wanting to keep both guitars, even if one of them does have EMGs!

Now I know a new guitar means I gotta post pics as well haha

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok photos up as promised, I think I might have time to record a quick comparison between my 4 guitars tomorrow too

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That thing should get the job done all right!

Dawn Of The Shred TheLivingDead's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Damn that is SHARP. Congrats!