Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duncan Custom fever

Banned
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Duncan Custom fever

I never thought I'd say this but I am gassing for a Duncan Custom. I was playing one all day before my 59/Custom hybrid arrived. Everything I played with the Custom sounded good. It's the best, most organic sounding ceramic Duncan in my opinion. I like that the output isn't so hot that it distorts my clean channel a lot. It reminds me of a D-Sonic in those ways. In fact, the only reason I haven't clicked "Buy Now" is because I'm wondering if I'll like it as much as I liked the D-Sonic. I have been wanting a versatile ceramic pickup that I can play metal with and I think I found it.

Now all I have to do is find a neck pickup to match. It seems like the Full Shred is the best match for one. I don't really like the 59. I love the Jazz, but I don't feel like it's a good match for the Custom. The others like AII Pro, etc... don't seem like a good match either. I'm not a fan of the Distortion. The Invader looks like it has a neck version, but I never tried an Invader before. Some suggestions would be helpful.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Duncan Custom fever

I love the Custom wind.

it's just so open, clear and uncompressed throughout the entire sonic register. And that means that the innate qualities of whatever magnet is in it gets to shine through with very little sonic filtering by the wind itself.

Fantastic pickup.
    My Music

Fender MIJ '62RI strat: Rose BuffBeauty/Robusta/Robusta | Jolly Roger Cutlasscaster: CustomRCA3/Little'59 | Squier Pro-Tone Strat: Stock | CTN Polaris: JB/Hot Rails(b) parallel
    CTN Exploder 880 bass
    Korg Pitchblack, Boss NS-2, Crybaby, OCD, East River Drive, Monte Allums GE-7, Nova Repeater
    H&K Tubemeister 18 | Retro30/ET65 in a Saxon custom 2x12
    Persian Rug

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The stock Custom is a fantastic pick up. Every time I think I know it, some type of tone will pop out of it where I'll go, wow, didn't know that was there. Versitile and doesn't color your tone so much that your amp, guitar woods, nuance, everything comes through. It may seem boring to some, but it is also a very stable pick up if that's the right word. Meaning that no matter what I through at it, it holds together.

I've paired it with an AII Pro and Jazz and gotten great results from both. Sounds great in the middle position for clean work or thickier, bluesier stuff.

Banned
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff5 View Post
    The stock Custom is a fantastic pick up. Every time I think I know it, some type of tone will pop out of it where I'll go, wow, didn't know that was there. Versitile and doesn't color your tone so much that your amp, guitar woods, nuance, everything comes through. It may seem boring to some, but it is also a very stable pick up if that's the right word. Meaning that no matter what I through at it, it holds together.

I've paired it with an AII Pro and Jazz and gotten great results from both. Sounds great in the middle position for clean work or thickier, bluesier stuff.
    Thanks. Output-wise would the AII Pro or Jazz keep up better?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff5 View Post
    Every time I think I know it, some type of tone will pop out of it where I'll go, wow, didn't know that was there.
    +1 !

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by UberMetalDood View Post
    Thanks. Output-wise would the AII Pro or Jazz keep up better?
    I think they're about the same as far as output goes. I've used both with even higher output pick ups than the Custom and didn't see a noticeable drop off in volume. What you choose depends on what you use the neck pick up for. The Jazz is better for fast runs and shred, the AII Pro is better for thicker, slower, bluesier types of leads. Both can do either, just that they're better at each respectively imo.

Ultimate Tone Slacker metalmachine's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i love the custom. it fatastic stock but its also so tweakable. output is perfect. clarity is great and plenty of beef. my number 1 has a double thick ceramic custom in it

Ultimate Tone Slacker xxxplorer's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Duncan really should make a 'custom kit' where they make magnet swaps as easy as wcr pickups. Yeah, I know that there are 3 pickups sold with the same wind, but for us few tweakers and future tweakers this would be the pickup to do it with. Make it with no tape to un-do, no wax on the base plate and sell magnets in a 3 pack at every guitar center... It would be pretty darn cool and revolutionary. Sell the pickup with a stock a5 and the 3 pack can include a8, ceramic, and a2. You could even do an 'expansion pack' with a double ceramic and proper spacers... DO IT!
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by xxxplorer View Post
    Make it with no tape to un-do, no wax on the base plate and sell magnets in a 3 pack at every guitar center... It would be pretty darn cool and revolutionary. Sell the pickup with a stock a5 and the 3 pack can include a8, ceramic, and a2. You could even do an 'expansion pack' with a double ceramic and proper spacers... DO IT!
    I do like the concept of 'magnet kits' being more available. at this point, the tape and wax issues aren't even a concern for me... I'd just like to see a wide variety of mags and flatwork and pole pieces available at the local music shops. or maybe even more options for places for buying them online. this wouldn't even apply to just the Custom as much as it could apply to several models.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think this sort of market for a "kit" would be very small and only for the tinkerer among us. Most musicians out there can't even solder a bad wire joint, let alone change mags. Though it seems simple to us like adjusting pickup height, the potential to ruin the pickup is still possible, so just the warranty nightmare alone wouldn't make sense for Duncan.

Also many still argue the fact that whether different mag changes tone at all, you'd have to have prior experience.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For years I avoided the Custom because of the ceramic magnet and the stigma associated with it. About six months ago, after running a ton of other bridge pickups through my Les Paul, I decided to give it a try. Love the pickup. It just sounds like a great mid output pickup. Allows the guitar to shine through with just the right amount of push.
    2001 Les Paul Classic (Custom/ 59n)
    2005 Les Paul Standard (Custom/R496)
    2006 PRS McCarty (HFS/McCarty Bass)
    Charvel Journeyman (JB)
    EVH 5150 III
    Mesa Recto 412 cab

Technique can be either your boss or your b*tch.

Banned
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SFW View Post
    For years I avoided the Custom because of the ceramic magnet and the stigma associated with it. About six months ago, after running a ton of other bridge pickups through my Les Paul, I decided to give it a try. Love the pickup. It just sounds like a great mid output pickup. Allows the guitar to shine through with just the right amount of push.
    I have always heard good things about the Custom in a Les Paul, but I know it sounds great in an alder strat. I have the same feelings about ceramic magnets. The first ceramic pickups I tried were the Duncan Distortion and Dimarzio Evolution and I didn't like either. Ceramic was just too hot and too sterile for my tastes. Then it wasn't very long ago when I bought a Super Distortion and a D-Sonic and really liked them. They are warm and organic and can be lowered for a nice medium output that doesn't push the amp too much. That's what I get out of the Custom except it sounds a little more balanced than the D-Sonic and Super D.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You gotta try the UOA5 Custom and Custom 3. I just tried them in a DBZ Bolero (LP copy), and they're both warm and wonderful. Just different flavors of warmth, UOA5 is more vintagey, Custom 3 more modern with huge a roar.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There's just not better bridge p'up than a Custom with an Alnico 8 mag in it.

It sounds excellent in cleans, it sounds massive in high gain, it clears alright when using the volume pot and output- and tone-wise it'll balance ok with most Duncans neck p'ups and it's not at all picky about shape and/or type of wood used.

What's not to like?
    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy

Banned
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LtKojak View Post
    There's just not better bridge p'up than a Custom with an Alnico 8 mag in it.

It sounds excellent in cleans, it sounds massive in high gain, it clears alright when using the volume pot and output- and tone-wise it'll balance ok with most Duncans neck p'ups and it's not at all picky about shape and/or type of wood used.

What's not to like?
    I had the Alt 8 in one of my strats not too long ago. Isn't that just a Custom with an A8 magnet? If so then I agree that it sounded very good, but it was just way too hot. I lowered that pickup flush with the pickguard and it was still too hot.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by UberMetalDood View Post
    I had the Alt 8. Isn't that just a Custom with an A8 magnet?
    Not at all!

HTH,
    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My axe came with a Custom Custom and a SHII and the combination is really out of this world to me .

I work with guys who were movers and shakers out of the 50s/60s and they all make the comment on how it sounds like those years . That made me smile cause I love that era of guitar's sounds when used in Pop music and were finally as a musical instrument they in time became mainstream

Peace :

Hurricane Ramon
    It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Jazz works great with the custom. Especially when you switch to the middle position. It gives a thick but defined, smooth distortion tone. really nice. Jazz sounds pretty good clean. I like the 59 better all around in the neck but jazz is nice. It's just really really clean. Not alot of character. But I'm telling you, jazz and custom in the middle position is nice

I caught the Custom 8 fever and I really like that pup alot. But I keep going back to the custom for heavy rock stuff. Something about it is just huge sounding.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

in my guitar, in neck position, i get the blues PATB-3 model. this pickup is normaly made ​​for bridge but in neck position, it sounds great . Very warm, jazzy, with a little more output than the Jazz or 59. The highs are Simply Perfect, singing highs very, very warthm bass tones.
    the only thing that is disturbing is its look.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Must admit I quite like the look of the PATB - But then I am a bit old fashioned....