Thread: Blackstar Ht-50 vs Marshall DSL

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Blackstar Ht-50 vs Marshall DSL

Hey guys it's been a while, but I'm popping in to ask the best and brightest about my next amp purchase. At this point you can pretty much get any of the Blackstar head offerings for about the same price as a Marshall DSL or even JCM 900s. So do you guys think that these Marshalls get bested by the newer Blackstars? Or is the mojo factor something the Blackstars just can't handle?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Blackstar Ht-50 vs Marshall DSL

I'd also like to mention that they don't offer the Blackstars around where I live unless a used one comes in somewhere so I can't really try them out and see which one suits me. It's the same story with a DSL.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Blackstar is awesome- I own the HT-20 head. Things you get from the Blackstar that you cannot with the marshall: Mesa and fender tones, it still sounds good at low volumes, and it has very unique ways of dialing tones (Read the thread I made called: Why I love Blackstar). Things that you can get from the Marshall: More mojo.

Either way, you can get really close to your favorite Marshall tones with the Blackstar, and the Blackstar beats out most other tube amps in versatility as well.
    I love mine.
    My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by kevlar3000 View Post
    The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
    Quote Originally Posted by CTN View Post
    I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Blackstar is awesome- I own the HT-20 head. Things you get from the Blackstar that you cannot with the marshall: Mesa and fender tones, it still sounds good at low volumes, and it has very unique ways of dialing tones (Read the thread I made called: Why I love Blackstar). Things that you can get from the Marshall: More mojo.

Either way, you can get really close to your favorite Marshall tones with the Blackstar, and the Blackstar beats out most other tube amps in versatility as well.
    I love mine.
    I've always heard by some that they have something slightly solid state sounding to them. Do you find this to be the case?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Oceano View Post
    I've always heard by some that they have something slightly solid state sounding to them. Do you find this to be the case?
    It really all comes down to how you EQ it. If you set gain volume to like 5 and the gain at 10, it does sound a bit solid state. But, I would facepalm if I saw someone do that. Its just not logical. I forgot to mention that on Blackstar amps with reverb, the reverb is REALLY good. On my friends HT-60, if you set reverb up all the way, it sounds like someone is playing in the abyss, it is the deepest reverb I have ever heard. I probably sound like a fanboy, but I assure you, I speak only the truth.
    My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by kevlar3000 View Post
    The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
    Quote Originally Posted by CTN View Post
    I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No one else has any input?

I'm interested in any comparison between a DSL and any of the larger HT series amps not just the 50.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like Blackstar amps, but if I had to choose between a Blackstar and a Marshall then I'd go with the Marshall.
    Good trades with: Dominus, Jackson Distortion, Richard, DWVINKY, Notesfeld, Inhuman, Brunogio, SFW, Jolly, Darthphineas,Crane, SrDeMaFp...

There is nothing on this earth sexier, believe me, gentlemen, than a woman you have to salute in the morning.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by UberMetalDood View Post
    I like Blackstar amps, but if I had to choose between a Blackstar and a Marshall then I'd go with the Marshall.
    You've had both an HT-100 and a DSL right? Did you ever compare the two side by side?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You've had both an HT-100 and a DSL right? Did you ever compare the two side by side?
    That's correct. In high gain mode, the HT100 reminded me of a DSL. Blackstars are darker amps than Marshalls. I was trying to get the Blackstar to do the Marshall thing and although I came close, it didn't work out. I wanted to have the bright crunch my DSL had, but the amp is inherently dark and trying to make it a brighter amp just made it sound sharply present and uneven.

Blackstars have a tighter, dryer feel to them. Marshalls are a bit more responsive. However, the HT100 had better definition. I think that if I had one now, I'd use Eminence Wizards or G12T75s and swap the stock tubes with something a bit brighter and clearer.

I think the Marshall is punchier and when you mute strings and strike power chords, it's a bit more stinging in a good way. The Blackstar had a better growl and not as buzzy, but doesn't have the same kind of crunch.

My HT100 had a digital reverb and the DSL had real reverb. I think the Blackstar reverb is pretty good, but I really liked the reverb of the DSL. Even though it's not a real strong reverb, I never felt like the reverb ever got in the way of the tone or other effects. The HT100 has a little more effective EQ. The DSL has a deep switch but you can't control the resonance it creates. The HT100 has more tonal options.

I liked the clean channel of the DSL more than the HT. To me the HT clean channel is very good, but at the same time is a little sterile in comparison.

I have compared the HT series (made in China) to the Series One (made in UK). The Series One is in another class and to me would compare favorably to Marshalls, but they're also in another price range.
    Good trades with: Dominus, Jackson Distortion, Richard, DWVINKY, Notesfeld, Inhuman, Brunogio, SFW, Jolly, Darthphineas,Crane, SrDeMaFp...

There is nothing on this earth sexier, believe me, gentlemen, than a woman you have to salute in the morning.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Blackstars are great sounding amps, as mentioned above darker in tone and lacking the out and out character but they are more versatile.
    Reasons I won't get one is it's not quite the tone I want and I've had a couple of guitar mates who had HT50's repeatedly blow on them within months of purchase so they went back.
    Have you thought about Engl, similar kinda amps in similar price range round these parts?
    It's a valve sporker... it sporks valves

BerriesAndCreamologist Fender_Punk's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have you looked at any Egnaters? Very versatile amps, and they can get a modern-Marshall tone similar to a 900.
    LISTEN/DOWNLOAD MY MUSIC!
    "Sunny Jane" '04 MIM Sunburst F Telecaster. GFS Neovin(b), Duncan Designed HB102(n)
    "Sapphire" Indie Tribal Extreme
    "Booty" Black Squier Jazz Bass
    "Joy" "Vintage" 1100N Dreadnought
    AMPS!
    Traynor Custom Special 50W combo. 1x12" Vintage 30
    Mark Bass Little Mark II 500W head
    Traynor TC115 bass cabinet

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by UberMetalDood View Post
    That's correct. In high gain mode, the HT100 reminded me of a DSL. Blackstars are darker amps than Marshalls. I was trying to get the Blackstar to do the Marshall thing and although I came close, it didn't work out. I wanted to have the bright crunch my DSL had, but the amp is inherently dark and trying to make it a brighter amp just made it sound sharply present and uneven.

Blackstars have a tighter, dryer feel to them. Marshalls are a bit more responsive. However, the HT100 had better definition. I think that if I had one now, I'd use Eminence Wizards or G12T75s and swap the stock tubes with something a bit brighter and clearer.

I think the Marshall is punchier and when you mute strings and strike power chords, it's a bit more stinging in a good way. The Blackstar had a better growl and not as buzzy, but doesn't have the same kind of crunch.

My HT100 had a digital reverb and the DSL had real reverb. I think the Blackstar reverb is pretty good, but I really liked the reverb of the DSL. Even though it's not a real strong reverb, I never felt like the reverb ever got in the way of the tone or other effects. The HT100 has a little more effective EQ. The DSL has a deep switch but you can't control the resonance it creates. The HT100 has more tonal options.

I liked the clean channel of the DSL more than the HT. To me the HT clean channel is very good, but at the same time is a little sterile in comparison.

I have compared the HT series (made in China) to the Series One (made in UK). The Series One is in another class and to me would compare favorably to Marshalls, but they're also in another price range.
    This is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Thank you! To me it sounds like overall the DSL would win out for what I want out of an amp anyway.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Uk Ant View Post
    Blackstars are great sounding amps, as mentioned above darker in tone and lacking the out and out character but they are more versatile.
    Reasons I won't get one is it's not quite the tone I want and I've had a couple of guitar mates who had HT50's repeatedly blow on them within months of purchase so they went back.
    Have you thought about Engl, similar kinda amps in similar price range round these parts?
    Thought about it But I really don't want to spend more than like $600 at the very maximum and Engls are way out of the price range. I'm actually getting rid of a Mesa ElectraDyne because unfortunately at this point I just really need the extra money.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fender_Punk View Post
    Have you looked at any Egnaters? Very versatile amps, and they can get a modern-Marshall tone similar to a 900.
    I've looked at a few, but they don't have too many of them you can play around here that I've encountered. I've played the smaller tweaker, and while it sounded nice, didn't exactly give me that authentic british crunch sound I like. I haven't played the bigger ones although they somewhat intrigue me. I've also heard the Rebel series is pretty good, but the 30 watts I'm afraid won't be enough for some of the bands I play in. Which ones did you have in mind?

Super Toneologist Archer_of_Fish's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I owned an HT 40 and ran it through a 2X12 a lot. I found that the Blackstar had a solid state feel to it...it sort of annoyed my ears also. Just an uncomfortable sounding amp. I got rid of it.

If you are on these 2 amps go with the Marshall.
    Gravity...its just a theory

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Thank you! To me it sounds like overall the DSL would win out for what I want out of an amp anyway.
    There's only one thing I forgot to mention. If you're going to be playing at a low volume very often, the Blackstar does a better job for some reason. I think because it's a darker amp and you can get away with lower volume recording. The DSL needs to be a little louder than that for a good recorded tone. Both amps are really loud by the way. Also I like the 100w versions of both amps better.

Ultimate Tone Slacker eschoendorff's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You can buy a Blackstar... but you're always gonna know it ain't a Marshall.

My opinion, of course. But Blackstar is about as Rock and Roll as Bugera.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessie's ghost View Post
    I like having the stop bar all the way down. Sue me. I've got like six dollars.