Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bill Lawrence XL500 DC Resistance

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Bill Lawrence XL500 DC Resistance

I read recently that the DC Resistance is 11.2k. From what I've understood, the XL500 is a pretty high output pup. To me, 11.2k does not really scream "high output." Any info?
    Buy the book in my avatar. It's pretty cool.

http://jchutchins.net/site/order/

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bill Lawrence XL500 DC Resistance

Ceramic magnet
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection isn't good enough.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the lower the output, the clearer each note, from what i've noticed... my 500XL does cleans very well considering what it's designed for, and its very defined and clear under gain...

thinking about it, 11.2k makes sense. its an example of low gain pup + hi gain amp = a very nice metal tone

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zerberus
    Ceramic magnet
    So, ceramic overrules dc resistance?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i wouldnt say overrules, but it does strongly influence the EQ of the pickup..

invader, XL500 and hot rails are all ceramic mags.. theres a pile of others, but you get the idea. personally, i prefer alnico II or V. the DC resistance does still play a major part in the tone though.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Does anybody know a Duncan pup that the XL500's output would be comparable to?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Does anybody know a Duncan pup that the XL500's output would be comparable to?
    (Aside from the Dimebucker )

Fuzzy. Guitars the guy who invented fire's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JB_From_Hell
    I read recently that the DC Resistance is 11.2k. From what I've understood, the XL500 is a pretty high output pup. To me, 11.2k does not really scream "high output." Any info?

I have it on GOOD report that a real Bill Lawrence XL500 measures around 16.5k...the Stew-mac Bill Lwarence pups measure less. BTW...a magnet DOES NOT have anything to do with the output! If you want any more info PM me and I'll help you out and turn you to the man who knows...I just don't wanna make people mad by posting stuff.
    Proudly Klon free!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

naw, i think we're saying the same stuff w/ regards to the effect of magnets, and i never mind being corrected anyhow

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by the guy who invented fire
    BTW...a magnet DOES NOT have anything to do with the output!
    If this is the case, why did the output on my CC increase when I took out the AII and installed a fat ceramic? I don't mean to sound like a smartass; I'm serious.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok, I just found a thread from a few days ago discussing the exact same thing I brought up. The 16k is the Bill Lawrence pickup. The 11.2k is the Bill Lawrence U.S.A. (different company) pickup.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

aw maaaaaan, im gonna have to measure mine in the morning so i dont feel curious anymore lol

as for the magnet swap thing, it could have accentuated frequencies you're more sensitive to, in the same way different guitars cut through each other..

theodie

The Stew mac and BillLawrenceusa.coms XL-500 is 11.2K, The Real one from Bill Lawrence.com is 16K. The Ceramic magnet is alot stronger than an A2 magnet hence, more output. You are my boy CHristian I dont mean to step on your toes but, The Magnet has alot to do with output. Its just not the resistance of the coils. Check out the tone charts output ratings, the custom has a buttload more output than the CC. More or less the only difference is the magnet or, is there something I am missing in the equation? Or is the tone chart wacked?
    Last edited by theodie; 12-25-2004 at 07:52 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by theodie
    Check out the tone charts output ratings, the custom has a buttload more output than the CC. More or less the only difference is the magnet or, is there something I am missing in the equation? Or is the tone chart wacked?
    The tone chart is wacked, but the Custom DOES have a buttload more output than the CC. With absolutely NO alteration to anything (besides swapping the magnets), the clean channel on my amp now distorts. Everything is the same, except it's now a ceramic mag. Harmonics are a lot easier now, as well. I now this is not always a direct result of more gain, but it doesn't hurt

Here's the line __________. Both my feet are firmly planted on the "ceramic = higher output" side

Fuzzy. Guitars the guy who invented fire's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The tone chart is wacked, but the Custom DOES have a buttload more output than the CC. With absolutely NO alteration to anything (besides swapping the magnets), the clean channel on my amp now distorts. Everything is the same, except it's now a ceramic mag. Harmonics are a lot easier now, as well. I now this is not always a direct result of more gain, but it doesn't hurt

Here's the line __________. Both my feet are firmly planted on the "ceramic = higher output" side
    I said that wrong...the magnet will not change the output "on paper"...meaning that 16k is 16k no matter what but going from a weaker magnet to a stronger magnet will make the output higher. that is why the Custom, C5, and CC are so different both in tone and power, as well as many others...sorry to have said that wrong.
    Proudly Klon free!

theodie

I said that wrong...the magnet will not change the output "on paper"...meaning that 16k is 16k no matter what but going from a weaker magnet to a stronger magnet will make the output higher. that is why the Custom, C5, and CC are so different both in tone and power, as well as many others...sorry to have said that wrong.
    You are forgivin my brotha!!!!

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is because of a fundamental problem with the language we use around here - DC resistance IS NOT OUTPUT. People often think it is, but that messes them up. The problem is, resistance is easy to measure; output isn't. So all you get is a single bar length on the tone chart (or a mv spec for DiMarzio pups).

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jester700
    This is because of a fundamental problem with the language we use around here - DC resistance IS NOT OUTPUT.
    It doesn't literally translate to the exact output, but it's a pretty good indicator for 'buckers. I can't think of any pups I've tried that contradict this rule of thumb.

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It doesn't literally translate to the exact output, but it's a pretty good indicator for 'buckers. I can't think of any pups I've tried that contradict this rule of thumb.
    DiMarzio's Tone Zone, Air Zone, Steve's Special, and Breed all measure higher than their Super Distortion, yet have less output.

A Duncan Stag Mag measures almost the same as an Invader but has WAY less output, and even less than the Custom, which measures lower.

Resistence is only meaningful as a measurement of output when other design aspects are the same. This counted back in the 70's, when pickups didn't vary much in construction. Today there are too many variables to count on it.

Super Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jester700
    Resistence is only meaningful as a measurement of output when other design aspects are the same. This counted back in the 70's, when pickups didn't vary much in construction. Today there are too many variables to count on it.

Exactly. DC Resistance is pretty much worthless....there's too much guessing because there are so many other factors in the design of the pickup.

The bottom line is Duncan had to come up with values for their "output bar" in the chart somehow....I'm curious how because it's sure not DC Resistance.

I prefer Dimarzios mV usage because if you've tried one Dimarzio you can easily figure out exactly how hot the rest of them are.....I've been dead on every single time when choosing matching pickups.