Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bill Lawrence XL500 DC Resistance

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bill Lawrence XL500 DC Resistance

Quote Originally Posted by ranalli
    I prefer Dimarzios mV usage because if you've tried one Dimarzio you can easily figure out exactly how hot the rest of them are.....I've been dead on every single time when choosing matching pickups.
    The only problem here is it's gonna come out totally different if I do the test or if you do, or if we try it with 2 different guitars, or different guage picks, or strings, etc... there's no consistency to it.
    Buy the book in my avatar. It's pretty cool.

http://jchutchins.net/site/order/

Super Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JB_From_Hell
    The only problem here is it's gonna come out totally different if I do the test or if you do, or if we try it with 2 different guitars, or different guage picks, or strings, etc... there's no consistency to it.

For myself anyway there's no need to do an mV test....all I want to do is buy pickups and know how hot they are in relation to each other. The manufacturer should have that info for my reference.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Check out this link from Bill Lawrence (Bill and Becky) http://www.billlawrence.com/Pages/Pi...evaluation.htm
    Hope this helps alittle.

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ranalli
    For myself anyway there's no need to do an mV test....all I want to do is buy pickups and know how hot they are in relation to each other. The manufacturer should have that info for my reference.
    True. And Duncan's bar on the chart works OK for this. I would love it if there were a standard that could be applied across different manufacturers.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by the guy who invented fire
    I have it on GOOD report that a real Bill Lawrence XL500 measures around 16.5k...the Stew-mac Bill Lwarence pups measure less. BTW...a magnet DOES NOT have anything to do with the output! If you want any more info PM me and I'll help you out and turn you to the man who knows...I just don't wanna make people mad by posting stuff.
    the 11.K 500XL's are not the good ones,
    the ones from www.billlawrence.com
    are the ones that are said to sound the best at 16.8K. these are wound by hand at time of order
    and this company
    http://www.billlawrenceusa.com/
    makes the 11K ones that are said to sound anemic and thin/trebly
    dime and nono bettencourt both used pup that were wound by www.billlawrence.com
    and dime had his 500XL overwound to and they nicked named it the XXL-500
    What bridge pickup did Dimebag Darrell use?
    Dime was on a tone quest for a long time before he and Washburn Guitars came to us. He had tried numerous custom wound pickups, but none were giving him the tone he was looking for. At the time Dime and Washburn came to us, Dime was using a custom wound pickup that he called an XXL-500. It was not available to the public. And it was still not giving Dime his tone. That's when Dime and Washburn turned to us. We started with Dime's best-sounding XXL-500 and then made numerous tweaks. We changed the magnet type, the wire gauge, the number of turns, and other factors. Dime tested the pickups on tour, so they got real world "arena" testing. After a few back-and-forth exchanges, we finally nailed his tone. And that's the SH-13 Dimebucker. It's the pickup that Dime used and -- for the first time -- the pickup Dime used is available to the public. It works great in Dime's solid state amps as well as tube amps. For more information about Dime and the Dimebucker, read his interview on this site. Dime did a great job describing the distortion quality of the pickup. We were very priviledged to work with Dime and we mourned his tragic death. R.I.P.
    Last edited by SAVAGE DISTORTION; 12-27-2004 at 08:30 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JB_From_Hell
    I read recently that the DC Resistance is 11.2k. From what I've understood, the XL500 is a pretty high output pup. To me, 11.2k does not really scream "high output." Any info?
    All I know, is the L-500XL I have from www.billlawrenceusa.com is the LOUDEST pickup I've ever owned. Don't know what the DC resistance is - I just use my ears. Same amp, same settings - this one screams.

theodie

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesman75
    All I know, is the L-500XL I have from www.billlawrenceusa.com is the LOUDEST pickup I've ever owned. Don't know what the DC resistance is - I just use my ears. Same amp, same settings - this one screams.
    I have played both, Wait until you try the one from Billlawrence.com, it will knock your socks off with tone in comparison!!!!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My real Bill XL is high 16 something and I would categorize it #44 like an over wound DD.

The Bill USA at 11.2 I'd suspect it to be #43 wire like a Screaming Demon or Custom type. No one calls the Screaming anemic.

I'd find it hard to believe anyone would make a #44 11.2 and try to pawn it off as a real Bill XL.

But check this out, a DD neck is 13k #43 ceramic. I've been considering trying one of those USA Bills in the neck.
    Me and Neal's stage rig.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From the Dept. of useless and irrelevant information:

Part of the reason that high-output pups have less highs, is because a pickup is basically a coil. A coil is an inductor, and inductors are used as low-pass filters. (Highs are blocked.) A capacitor passes high frequencies. So, a tone control is a capacitor that passes, (or shunts), the high-frequencies to ground. An inductor blocks high-frequencies. Ergo, the more coil windings, the less highs, (and harmonics), make it out.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

then you obviously have not tried the one from billlawrence.com then

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SABOTAGE
    then you obviously have not tried the one from billlawrence.com then
    You're right. But I was just pointing out that even at 11.2 it's still a very loud pickup.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You're right. But I was just pointing out that even at 11.2 it's still a very loud pickup.