Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duncan Custom UOA5 vs. 59/Custom Hybrid UOA5?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Duncan Custom UOA5 vs. 59/Custom Hybrid

Bump
    Duncan Custom UOA5 vs. 59/Custom Hybrid?
    Both of these pickups have outstanding reviews, and one has been officially relased.
    Which one is the best, and why, IYHO.
    Last edited by MetalManiac; 08-18-2012 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Bump

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Duncan Custom UOA5 vs. 59/Custom Hybrid UOA5?

bump

Ultimate Tone Member LesPaulRules's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'll give this a friendly bump as well. I have a UOA5 sitting around and am thinking about putting it in my Custom.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LesPaulRules View Post
    I'll give this a friendly bump as well. I have a UOA5 sitting around and am thinking about putting it in my Custom.
    Same here, I just haven't gotten around to trying it yet...

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've tried both in my guitar, a Hamer Studio. Overdriven, both really screamed; the CUOA5 had more "mid" mids, the hybrid seemed like a higher frequency mid character. Both good, just a bit different. Clean, in all honesty, I liked the regular C5 best. Of those two, though, in that particular guitar, I liked the tone of the hybrid a touch better, but it seemed quite a bit louder, too. I liked the Sheptone BK set best of all so far............
    Originally Posted by Aceman:
    My ween nearly disappeared into my body this morning.

Ultimate Tone Slacker metalmachine's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I tried the uoa5 custom. Awesome except way too dark for high gain. However my magnet was rough cast

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like the Custom with a UOA5 much better than any of the stock Customs...smoother highs and generally a warmer character than the ceramic version, but not dull at all. (As a side...I like the C8 better than any other Custom, including the UOA5 as good as it is).

IMO, the 59/C hybrid with UOA5 is more airy, has a more extended frequency range, is more present, more acoustic sounding than the C UOA5. The UOA5 is my mag of choice for this hybrid. And the hybrid is so much more musical than the Custom.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I liked the UOA5 custom a lot. I think it may need a guitar with some natural mid content and growl to its tone, like an SG. The UOA5 is also very smooth and singing. I like it much better than the stock Custom5.

I tried the 59/Custom hybrid in three guitars, and it is just not my thing. It had the bottom end of the Duncan 59, the puffed up mids of the Custom, and the shrill/thin/brittle highs of the 59 bridge with some grit to them like the Duncan distortion has. It was just too much of a frankenstein tone for me, and the highs were annoying.

I would be interested to know if everyone who really likes the 59/c hybrid is using it for high gain stuff. That sounds like what it would be best at to me.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a TB5 and also have a uoa5 magnet that someone here traded me and i have not did any changing because i would think the uoa5 magnet would make the custom very tame and timid compared to the original from what i read about what that magnet does? I used to have a sh11 and that was very disapointing,then i got the TB5 and it was worlds better like someone took a blanket off the speakers or something.I have a hybrid on the way so i think that may be good as is or i may use it for the neck so i can split the hybrid and have the custom coil for single coil tones

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
    I liked the UOA5 custom a lot. I think it may need a guitar with some natural mid content and growl to its tone, like an SG. The UOA5 is also very smooth and singing. I like it much better than the stock Custom5.

I tried the 59/Custom hybrid in three guitars, and it is just not my thing. It had the bottom end of the Duncan 59, the puffed up mids of the Custom, and the shrill/thin/brittle highs of the 59 bridge with some grit to them like the Duncan distortion has. It was just too much of a frankenstein tone for me, and the highs were annoying.

I would be interested to know if everyone who really likes the 59/C hybrid is using it for high gain stuff. That sounds like what it would be best at to me.
    0 for 3? Oh, and please clarify - seriously curious here - Which guitars, what woods, fingerboards, bridges etc? The production and/or UOA5 in each? I haven't recorded it or played live with it yet, but I'm liking the production A5 59/Custom Hybrid (haven't tried UOA5 or A8 yet too soon) in my KnE Ash-bodied, Charvel Maple-necked Strat with my Mesa MK III (which can get pretty high-gainy, and heavy) so far. I like the complexity the '59 coil adds for as heavy as I get, no shrill highs, and passable if not full-Custom tight low end. I haven't gotten a chance to crank it past "call the cops" apartment level yet, but I have really lenient neighbors.

Uuuuultra heavy's really not my thing but I could see perhaps where if someone was into full-cookie monster vocal low/drop-tuned (below say, C#) "brootals" heaviness the 59/C might not do it. From what I've read here about UOA5 not seeing how it would change someone's opinion (in that scenario a 59/C or a Custom)... but the A5 version's pretty cool and versatile-sounding in this guitar at least! However, having a Custom 8 in it before, bettin' that would do some cookie...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I tried the 59/Custom hybrid is an Ibanez S model, a Jackson Dinky, and a mahogany PRS. Never tried the UOA5 in it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not to split hairs too much, although I do that too often...

I'm thinking that my favorite magnet is just a roughcast A5. The UO knocks it a bit flatter sounding, in a vintage direction. I have the UOA5 C5 in my LP Goldtop and I like it. I have the C/59 in my rosewood/alder strat.

So to split hairs. I'd probably choose the roughcast Custom 5 over both the ones you mentioned. Roughcast is what Duncan put in their antiquated JB. It may have been Dun-Aged too....can't remember. But in my experience, a fully charged roughcast A5 is my favorite for a bridge.
    If you play guitar chest-high, you play from your heart.

If you play guitar waist-high, you play from your guts.

If you play guitar low, you play from your huevos.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Couldnt change thread title. I meant Duncan Custom UOA5 vs. 59/Custom Hybrid stock.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just got one of these hybrids and would also love to know what that magnet does for it? I have the Unoriented alnico 5 but dont want to try it until i get a short review

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gearjoneser View Post
    The UO knocks it a bit flatter sounding, in a vintage direction. I have the UOA5 C5 in my LP Goldtop and I like it.
    I like vintage tones, and UOA5's add some of that feel in PU's, that looser, organic A2 vibe. It's true that it's 'flatter', because some of the treble and bass is trimmed off. But, we've seen many posts here about A5 PU's being too bright or boomy, so 'flatter' is not necessarily a bad thing.

I was the first one here to put an UOA5 in a Custom, in an LP, and it's magic in there. I've got UOA5's in a number of PU's now, including a couple P-90's. It's not perfect in every PU in every guitar, but neither is any other magnet. It's sure nice to have as an option between A2's and A5's.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by blueman335 View Post
    I was the first one here to put an UOA5 in a Custom, in an LP
    What makes you think that? I remember guys on here doing that years before you ever became a member of this forum.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    What makes you think that? I remember guys on here doing that years before you ever became a member of this forum.
    Well then, the first to do it when we got magnets from Addiction. Until I did it, no one seemed to know anything about UOA5's. Who was the supplier back then?
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Before addiction-fx, we used to get our magnets from John Wymore.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

UOA5?????

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SAVAGE DISTORTION View Post
    I just got one of these hybrids and would also love to know what that magnet does for it? I have the Unoriented alnico 5 but dont want to try it until i get a short review
    I'd suggest to do a search, the C/59 UOA5 hybrid has been reviewed and reported on numerous times.