Thread: ENGL E650 BLACKMORE

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default ENGL E650 BLACKMORE

Has anyone tried one of these? They any good?
    Quote Originally Posted by grumptruck
    No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwalluk's music
    My Music Website

My Rig:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe (Seymour Duncan Screamin Demon (b) Pearly Gates (n)
    Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb 50 Series II Combo
    TC Electronics Nova System

Ultimate Tone Slacker Red_Label's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: ENGL E650 BLACKMORE

Yes... and YES!!!

Been about ten years, but I remember it doing a pretty dayum good job of copping "Back in Black" era Angus. Don't remember the cleans. It was a very impressive sounding amp and one of the few Engls that goes more toward JCM800 Marshall than it does Engl's usual dark, growly metal thing.
    "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well it has a 6L6 power section, and I have heard the Marshall reference before, but it's totally an Engl flavor. It sounds a bit smoother than the Savage but kind of more along those lines. If you want Marshall flavor in an Engl, the Invader is ridiculously good. I'm not kidding when I say this but if I were offered a choice between a Soldano SLO, Bogner Ecstasy and an Engl Invader, I'd take the Invader.

The Blackmore is a great amp but it's a little bare on features. Even so, it's pretty versatile. The cleans are awesome and the overdrive is outstanding. It's tight and defined. It's a heavy sounding amp and it won't give you sweet Marshall tones or classic sounds. I think it sounds a little more more hi-fi than that.

You can find them at really good prices too. There's always one in perfect condition selling for around $1k on Ebay. You're getting a lot of great amp for the money at that price.
    Good trades with: Dominus, Jackson Distortion, Richard, DWVINKY, Notesfeld, Inhuman, Brunogio, SFW, Jolly, Darthphineas,Crane, SrDeMaFp...

There is nothing on this earth sexier, believe me, gentlemen, than a woman you have to salute in the morning.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's the best engl in the market right now...
    The only model that can (in some cases) stand next to a 6505 without getting eaten...
    It is regarded as a "simpler" Savage...less knobs more tone...a good option if you like the engl voicing...but you can get a better amp for the money...
    If I remember right you have a Fryette D60...none of the engls can touch this amp...
    For the story I had an engl screamer,engl fireball(piece of crap),engl blackmore,6505+...none of them can even touch the single channel Soldano Avenger that I use now...I assume the same happens with the D60...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I checked one out last year but ended up with the fireball 100, which was one of my better amps. Then I down sized from there on.
    tone slut
    Fender 68 Custom Modified Twin Silver Face
    Bogner red/Blue
    Gibson SG standard
    MIM Fender Strat
    Mogami cables

Super Toneologist Archer_of_Fish's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mwalluk View Post
    Has anyone tried one of these? They any good?
    Great amps. THey are basically a stripped down Savage with some of the edge taken off
    Gravity...its just a theory

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackie13 View Post
    The only model that can (in some cases) stand next to a 6505 without getting eaten...
    It is regarded as a "simpler" Savage...less knobs more tone...a good option if you like the engl voicing...but you can get a better amp for the money...
    If I remember right you have a Fryette D60...none of the engls can touch this amp...
    For the story I had an engl screamer,engl fireball(piece of crap),engl blackmore,6505+...none of them can even touch the single channel Soldano Avenger that I use now...I assume the same happens with the D60...
    All this is true. My first hand experience has been, and is, the same.
    VHT Pittbull UL, PEAVEY 6505, MARSHALL 2203KK, MESA Single Recto, PEAVEY JSX, MARSHALL JVM 210H, MESA Trad 412, KRANK Rev1 412, Randall OS 212

If I don't respond when you QUOTE one of my posts...

You are likely on my IGNORE list, so I can't see your $hit.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Red_Label's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackie13 View Post

LOL. Different strokes I guess.

Yeah... the PEAVEY 6505 "eats" every other Engl... NOT. The new Fireball is MUCH improved over the old one. Also, the number of new metal/hard rock artists using (as in recording/touring) Engls these days is pretty staggering. The number using the D60? And don't bother with the endorsement arguement, as these guys are laying tracks down with Engls.

Btw... I will add that I've never played the D60. But I owned a Pittbull Ultra Lead and though it was a great amp, it didn't even come close to my current Powerball 2 for quality of tone, warmth, versatility, etc.
    Last edited by Red_Label; 08-18-2012 at 08:12 PM.
    "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ENGL's are only similar to VHT's in that they have a distinct sound that you either like or don't like.
    Depends if you want saturated ultra modern gain.
    Or percussive unforgiving grind.

I'll take both thank you.
    VHT Pittbull UL, PEAVEY 6505, MARSHALL 2203KK, MESA Single Recto, PEAVEY JSX, MARSHALL JVM 210H, MESA Trad 412, KRANK Rev1 412, Randall OS 212

If I don't respond when you QUOTE one of my posts...

You are likely on my IGNORE list, so I can't see your $hit.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
    LOL. Different strokes I guess.

Yeah... the PEAVEY 6505 "eats" every other Engl... NOT. The new Fireball is MUCH improved over the old one. Also, the number of new metal/hard rock artists using (as in recording/touring) Engls these days is pretty staggering. The number using the D60? And don't bother with the endorsement arguement, as these guys are laying tracks down with Engls.

Btw... I will add that I've never played the D60. But I owned a Pittbull Ultra Lead and though it was a great amp, it didn't even come close to my current Powerball 2 for quality of tone, warmth, versatility, etc.
    Regarding the number of artists,which is not an argument by the way,as it only shows the financial investment made by the company for its image, not all of them use engls in the studio...I have heard engl users state that a record was recorded with an engl and then the produced said that it was a Bogner, the amp which was used...countless stories like that with engl...and trust me...I was an engl "freak"...I had 3 heads and tested many more...the construction quality has seen better days...(even with a 5 year difference)for the money you can get something better...

By the way,I haven't tested the Fireball 100...I hope that it's better than the 60...Anyway,I am done with engl...I hope I could see a nice reissue of the engl straight...I had the chance to try one...one of the best amps ever...