Thread: Pickups for ESP viper

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Pickups for ESP viper

Hi,

I'm the proud owner of an ESP Viper and an ESP Phoenix.
    I really love my Phoenix which is loaded with a JB/Jazz set; great sounds, great guitar!

Recently I've purchased an ESP Viper standard which came with EMG's (81,85).
    I'm absolutely loving the guitar but totally hate the EMG's...They just lack character and seem lifeless/sterile.

I've decided that the EMG's have to go and am going to swap them out with some passives. ESP is often associated with metal which isn't weird hence their list of endorsees.
    I lean more towards classic rock/ blues rock and some old school metal (Priest, Ozzy, Maiden etc).

I could just swap the pickups out for another set of JB/Jazz but that just seems like the easy way out doesn't it? Seymour Duncan offers loads of different pickups so I'm more likely to take a different set and get some new/different sounds.

The guitars (phoenix and viper) are different however so I'm aware that they will sound different anyway. The viper is solid mahogany, neckthrough construction with an ebony fingerboard while the phoenix has a wonderful maple neck, neckthrough with mahogany wings and an ebony fretboard.

I'm open for suggestions; let's hear 'em!!!

"..I think people overemphasize the importance of gear in their search for tone. Your sound comes from how you pick and dampen the strings, and from your attack as much as anything.." -Eric Johnson

Tone Member

Default Re: Pickups for ESP viper

A custom bridge with a Duncan distortion neck or screamin demon in the neck.

Riffologist Extraordinaire ex-250's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Screamin' Demon bridge/Pearly Gates neck
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I say Demon too, or if you can swing it, the S Deco works wonderfully in that type of axe. Pair it with an Antiquity neck, PGn, or APHn, and you have a versatile combo that will definately do classic rock/metal through the right amp.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Make sure you have a ground wire coming from the bridge before you switch to passive pickups.
    "Their children also shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses shall be spoiled, and their wives ravished." Isaiah 13:16

"Kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves." Numbers 31:17-18

Want to trade? You go first. I've got over 11,000 feedback as a seller on eBay.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A custom in the bridge with a 59 in the neck. Or a set of 59s .

Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
    JFG Flying V,
    "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
    John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

59b with a PGn. Killer classic rock tone. You may need to pull a bridge post to run a ground wire as dominus pointed out.
    "Believe the word, I will unlock my door and pass the cemetery gates"

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

what model viper is that? 401? Sexy beast as is. I would take it with the EMGs actually. For passive I would do a TB-6 Duncan Distortion bridge and a Duncan Distortion SH6-N neck model or Screamin Demon for the neck.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion1 View Post
    what model viper is that? 401? Sexy beast as is. I would take it with the EMGs actually. For passive I would do a TB-6 Duncan Distortion bridge and a Duncan Distortion SH6-N neck model or Screamin Demon for the neck.
    It's an ESP not an LTD...

anyway I stuck the 59/JB set from my old Ninja into my Viper Baritone and it sounded pretty gnarly. Granted that was a baritone but essentially the same aside from 2" longer length.
    ESP Maverick (Blackouts Metal)
    Jackson Falcon (Invader)
    ESP LTD Ninja-600 (mirror) (Invader/Distortion)
    Schecter Syn Special (Invader set)