Thread: How does JB compare to Suhr Aldrich

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default How does JB compare to Suhr Aldrich

Has anyone tried these? How would they compare to JB/59 combo in a LP type guitar?
    Also, has anyone checked out the Dimarzio Dominion? I wonder how that in the bridge and a 36th Anniv PAF in the neck would compare to a JB/59 combo?

I have a Schecter Solo 6 Std with Duncan Designed JB/59. It sounds really good, but one day I plan on updating. I love Duncans, but that Dimarzio Dominion sounds good. So does the Suhr Aldrich. I love Doug's tone, but I also love Jerry Horton's tone.

I need versatility. My main gig is church, but I also love classic rock, heavy rock and metal. Tones I love: Whitesnake, Lynch, Ratt, ZZ Top, Black Label Society, Creed, Alice in Chains, Godsmack. BLS is one of my favorites and I considered going active, but I think I would regret it...lose good clean n bluesy sounds...not versatile enough. I thought about a 85/60 combo. Plus, do I want to worry about changing batteries?

I'm looking for a neck bucker that will do cleans, blues, and lead lines and not get muddy.
    I'm looking for a raunchy bridge bucker that gets killer harmonics, edge, bite and clarity, but cleans up nicely.

Thanks!

Ultimate Tone Member Shadow1psc's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: How does JB compare to Suhr Aldrich

I imagine the PATB-1 is going to be the bridge you desire.
    SBMM JP70 "Shadow" - ESP Horizon "Violet" - Charvel Model 5 "Cherry" - Ibanez S570 "Beast" - Ibanez RG470 "Penny" - Ibanez RG4Ex1 "Azure" - Fender Strat "Candy"
    Mi Familia

Ultimate Tone Member LonePhantom's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Dominion set it great for what you listed there. They are very tight, with fast attack though, very precise, so maybe not quite as raunchy as you'd like. I love them for the style of stuff I play though.

I've got a JB/59 loaded guitar too, and the JB suits what you are after there, although it might not clean up as nicely as you'd like in full series mode. Pearly Gates neck may be a better option for the neck position than the 59, going by what you are wanting.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I prefer the JB!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jb is thinner, Aldrich is more "sweet sounding" but still tight, I think it's got something to do with A5 Suhr uses, I remember when playing the Aldrich pup I thought it was more like Alnico 2 tone with tighter bass.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

for what you're describing, a JB would be ideal. it depends on what you mean by how you want it to clean up. if by rolling off the volume, that'd also have a bit to do with your amp. if you want to put a p/p pot on it, it's still a bit loud when split but the parallel wiring will probably be a little nicer.

I also agree that the PATB-1 would be another excellent choice. there is a Suhr Aldrich on the way here and I can probably speak to that sometime next week.

for the neck, some options would be the Full Shred neck, the '59n or the Jazz neck. if you are ok with modding, I think a '59nA4 goes well with a JB for the setup you are talking about. put them both in split mode and the middle position will give you a really nice clean tone.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice replies. Thanks.

Hmm...a PATB-1 in a stop tail bridge guitar? I thought they were for trems...hence the name. I agree though...that tone is killer (a la Oz Fox of Stryper).

Darthphineas - hit me up when you try the Aldrich. I'm very interested in your opinion since you're a fan of the JB and the PATB-1.

I will have to do some thinking on this. I usually prefer Alnico to Ceramic...doesn't sound as harsh; warmer. Although I have to admit that Dominion, which is ceramic, sounds very nice.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

just measure where the string would hit the pole pieces.

Duncan
    53mm is f-spaced. 50.8mm (2.0") is standard.

DiMarzio
    2.01" is f-spaced. 1.92" is standard.

however, a lot of people claim to not be able to tell the difference.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Darth. I understand F-spacing vs "regular" spacing. That's not what I meant. What I meant was...I thought the PATB pups were designed for guitars with trems - to bring back any tone loss from the trem system itself, not the spacing.

Thanks again.

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just because the Parallel Axis pickups are designed for a particular task doesn't mean they don't work elsewhere!

A lot of people really like them in stop-tail bridges. Some people like more lower mids, or have a guitar that needs some beefing up. Or just really like the other behaviors of the design!

daemonbarbeque used a PATB-2 in a fixed bridge guitar. Sounded great, and that's the PATB most prone to woolly low mids.

PATB-1b and PATB-1n fit most of the tonal descriptions (articulate, clean up nicely, but plenty of drive available when wanted from the bridge).

Tastes vary, but the stock pickups fit too, though for articulation you might prefer a Jazz neck over the '59. You might look at a custom shop hotter A2 JB variants (Super V, RTM), too.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by The Tone Ranger View Post
    Thanks Darth. I understand F-spacing vs "regular" spacing. That's not what I meant. What I meant was...I thought the PATB pups were designed for guitars with trems - to bring back any tone loss from the trem system itself, not the spacing.

Thanks again.
    good point, and it appears I missed what you meant. and yes, the PATB-1 pickups that I've seen do have 'trembucker' stamped in the bottom, so it'd stand to reason they are meant for guitars with trems. but the deal with the PATB line is that the 'pole' pieces (or whatever they should be called in this model) pretty much 'wrap' around each string. they are more evenly spaced out across each bobbin so the magnetic field doesn't pull so much in just those traditional pole piece areas and end up allowing more sustain while 'picking up' a more tone.

as for any spacing issues or tone issues, here ( http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/pi...y-experiences/ ) is a very timely blog from just last week.