Thread: Fender American Vintage '72 Telecaster

Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lightbulb Fender American Vintage '72 Telecaster

..from the custom shop. i tried one today and it was nice. the action was really low and the neck felt just right. when i'd play a natural harmonic i could feel the vibration right through the neck. the pickups were designed by the late great Seth Lover. does anyone have experience with this guitar? what do you think about it?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Fender American Vintage '72 Telecaster

Without photos, I'm guessing that this thread is about the Fender Telecaster Deluxe. Thirty odd years ago, somebody at my school had one. He could get a pretty decent Hendrix tone from the neck pickup. The guitar was heavy but it played nicely - very like my friend's 76/77 Stratocaster.

Super Toneologist zenmindbeginner's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's gonna be my next partscaster project... love those guitars.
    "Stumbled across a review of the George Lynch-designed, Seymour Duncan-produced Super V pickup on YouTubeand it’s frickin’ great!
    No secret that most guitar-stuff reviews on YT suck. Not this one, folks! It clocks in at a long 11+ minutes and is worth every…minute. Enjoy!
    " - woodytone

Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It would be interesting to know where Fender is sourcing the pickups for this re-issue series. The original CBS/Fender units have some unique qualities that recreations do not always capture. (The magnet material is the usual stumbling block.)

If the example that you tried has strong natural acoustic resonances, it has every chance of being a good 'un.

I thought the Deluxe had the Strat headstock ?
    Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER, NO STALKING !!!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    I thought the Deluxe had the Strat headstock ?
    It does. This thread is about a second generation Telecaster Thinline.

Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Funkfingers View Post
    It would be interesting to know where Fender is sourcing the pickups for this re-issue series. The original CBS/Fender units have some unique qualities that recreations do not always capture. (The magnet material is the usual stumbling block.)

If the example that you tried has strong natural acoustic resonances, it has every chance of being a good 'un.
    from wiki, they come from mexico. it's not a faithful replica. the mexican one has an alnico bar. the original had two fenico rods.

Mojo's Minions Powdered Toast Man's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by esandes View Post
    ..from the custom shop. i tried one today and it was nice. the action was really low and the neck felt just right. when i'd play a natural harmonic i could feel the vibration right through the neck. the pickups were designed by the late great Seth Lover. does anyone have experience with this guitar? what do you think about it?
    Do you mean the Telecaster Custom? Just a couple things:
    1) These are not Custom Shop reissues. These are just part of the American Vintage production line guitars.
    2) The reissue "wide range" humbuckers are not the original Seth Lover design. The originals used magnets that are now fairly rare and as such are very expensive. I've done a bunch of reading on the new pickups and apparently they're just a regular sized humbucker underneath the big wide-range cover, with the extra space being filled by wax. I think Fender has attempted to voice the humbucker to be a fair approximation of the original, but not a reproduction by any means.

I've picked up a couple of these in the store. Both the MIM and the newer MIA AVRI ones. These are a guitar I REALLY WANT to like, but I have not been blown away by any of the ones I've handled. FWIW, I feel the AVRI models are overpriced given that the MIM ones are very similar spec. Really, is an Ash body (vs Alder) and a lacquer finish worth an extra $800? You decide.
    -
    My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i'm thinking about walking on this one actually. the body is made of three pieces glued together. i can tell from the different flow of grains. my US strat plus deluxe strat body is made from a single piece. i'll try something new. my bros insist i check out the PRS line. after my strat is loaded with some decent pickups, it'll sound perfect anyway for that fender tone.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What were the qualities in the Thinline that you desired? Low weight? Hum-cancelling pickups? A different look? All of these can be found in the La Cabronita Telecaster.

Super Toneologist zenmindbeginner's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The hollowbody makes a big difference in tone IMHO.
    "Stumbled across a review of the George Lynch-designed, Seymour Duncan-produced Super V pickup on YouTubeand it’s frickin’ great!
    No secret that most guitar-stuff reviews on YT suck. Not this one, folks! It clocks in at a long 11+ minutes and is worth every…minute. Enjoy!
    " - woodytone

Ultimate Tone Member tubecrunch's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Telenator is the authority on recreating the original pups

Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Funkfingers View Post
    What were the qualities in the Thinline that you desired? Low weight? Hum-cancelling pickups? A different look? All of these can be found in the La Cabronita Telecaster.
    the most important qualities were (in order):
    -high quality US made fender
    -the humbuckers

my US strat plus deluxe has the quality hardware that really spoiled me. the wilkinson roller nut, the locking saddles that never break strings prematurely, as mentioned the quality of the build. i also like how the 'good' deluxe fenders don't use those posts on the headstock where the two high strings go under. i expected alot more from the tele. the tele's thick neck is great for rhythm but i think it would be tough to play for lead melodies.

i'll check out the thurston moore jazzmaster. i always enjoyed the tones of sonic youth and dinosaur jr. plus it has jumbo frets.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have one of these thinlines and I really like it.

Again not custom shop but US Vintage line.

The body may be multiple pieces but I can't tell since it's a solid color. (black rather than candy apple) It doesn't make a difference to me.

I do dig the pickups even if they aren't complete repros of the original. I think they capture the tones pretty well. I have a post up here with some samples of the guitar.