Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good tremolo pedals?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Good tremolo pedals?

I've got a Danelectro Cool Cat (9v version) that I like alright, but I'm not crazy about (especially the crappy switch). It does the job for me for now, so this isn't a priority, but I'd like to start looking for something with a bit better sound. I've had two Boss TR-2's that I hated. I've always kinda had my eye on the MXR one, but have never had a chance to try it.

I use tremolo mostly with some overdrive, I'm not a huge fan of the machine-gun type hard stutter, I prefer a softer sound. I tend to use it more on country type stuff. This is kinda what I'm going for:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T4SaNuxZO8

When I do get around to buying a new one, I'd like to keep it around $200 or less new.
    Go Packers!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Good tremolo pedals?

Voodoo Labs 4 knob tremolo. It's the one I use. It allows you to set the volume, slope, speed, and intensity of it so that you can tailor it to your precise needs. As long as you don't need a tap tempo, I don't think you'll get a better tremolo. I've used mine for years and love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakob Dylan
    It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've used the EHX Wiggler and the SD Shape Shifter. Both sound good. The SD is more versatile and controllable. I sold/traded the Wiggler to make room for the SD.

If you don't need tap tempo, and want a warm, subtle tremolo that has a few different voicings, I would recommend the Wiggler. If you want tweakability, including tap tempo, I'd recommend the Shape Shifter (and replacing the stock switches with good ones).
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 11-05-2012 at 11:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Super Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt42 View Post
    I've got a Danelectro Cool Cat (9v version) that I like alright, but I'm not crazy about (especially the crappy switch). It does the job for me for now, so this isn't a priority, but I'd like to start looking for something with a bit better sound. I've had two Boss TR-2's that I hated. I've always kinda had my eye on the MXR one, but have never had a chance to try it.

I use tremolo mostly with some overdrive, I'm not a huge fan of the machine-gun type hard stutter, I prefer a softer sound. I tend to use it more on country type stuff. This is kinda what I'm going for:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T4SaNuxZO8

When I do get around to buying a new one, I'd like to keep it around $200 or less new.
    Not sure what chorus pedal you are using has to do with Tremolo pedals but I would suggest Diaz Tremadillo

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I dunno if you have the cash, yet Carl Martin Trem'ovibe is the best one I have seen out there... It's almost like an amp...

Great pedal.

On the cheaper side, Lovepedal's tremolo is quite effective, small and does not suck at all... But Carl Martin is really very cool!

B

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AudioWonderland View Post
    Not sure what chorus pedal you are using has to do with Tremolo pedals but I would suggest Diaz Tremadillo

Cool Cat is the series of pedals. There are a lot of Cool Cat pedals.

I really dig that Wiggler. I hadn't even looked at that one. I see the Vibrato effect working really well on one of my band's songs that I've been using Tremolo on. I'm gonna have to find one to try soon.
    Go Packers!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mooer Trelicopter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVOIszoD6pU
    That is all.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What made you hate the Boss trems?

There's an easy fix on the older ones to rid yourself of the volume drop.
    Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just couldn't find a tone I liked on it. I can't put my finger on it. Partly, I think I wasn't sure how to use the shape knob the first time around. The second time, I was in a band where it wasnt useful, so I sold it.
    Go Packers!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had a Boss TR-2, had it modded to reduce volume drop, and tried several other brands that I won't name. I love my Fulltone Supa-Trem.

It does not have a slope adjustment, and the intensity adustment is really a wet/dry mix, but it sounds sweet. It has a half speed switch that might be useful for someone, and it has a hard/soft switch that gets you to the stutter zone you don't care for.

To be honest, for me it is a one trick pedal, but I haven't found another that does that trick near as well.

KILLING THREADS SINCE 2007

Super Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm no expert on tremelo, but I do own and use the Modtone Harmonic Tremor (!) tremelo with good results. It's way cheaper than what you want to spend, though. I have a lot of fun with mine and I can't really say there is any negative affect on my overall tone when it is on. Here's a demo from GMD:

One thing I notice in the vid is that he says they are made in Japan...that is not true...they are made in China.

I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am a bit of a tremolo geek.

Some of my personal suggestions -

My ultimate holy grail of term (and reverb also...) is the rack mount Peavey Valverb.

My personal #1 and favorite is the Diaz Tremodillo

An excellent alternative is the Dunlop Tremolo: Original large purple box (can't speak of the new MXR ones)
    I also dig the little Guyatone Vintage Tremolo
    The Voodoo LAbs 4 knob is a great unit.
    If you are going Boss, either get it modded, or try the old Stereo Pan/Tremolo
    The Duncan Shape Shifter gets a lot of good press. Never played one.
    Fulltone SupaTrem is hard not to love (see above)

Just a few suggestions.
    Quote Originally Posted by jon the art guy View Post
    Aceman, your advice was a rich tapestry of hard-fought research, blood, sweat and tears and the homespun wisdom we've all learned to expect and relish from our itinerant face-painted lunatic. I would like to award you a internet trophy for "best comment on a proco rat discussion". Let it be written in the annals of history; Aceman sure as heck helped.

Master of his Domain Agileguy_101's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Diamond Tremolo. Sounds incredible, and the feature set is ridiculously awesome without being overwhelming like the Cusack Tap a Whirl or the Lightfoot Labs Goatkeeper
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post
    Happy with an Epi? Great! Want an R9? Great! Like paying a thai hooker to strap up and roto root your backside cause you think it makes you hit the high notes better? Great! If they are happy and go out and play some kick ass music then its all good in my book.