Thread: Marshall DSL 40C

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Marshall DSL 40C

I've been looking for a 1X12 combo for a while (as much as I love the 2X12 50w I have, it's pretty heavy to lug around). I was looking at the Peavey Valve King 1X12, but also ran across the Marshall DSL 40w combo. Does anyone have any experience with it? The reviews are decent, at least the ones on Musician's Friend's site.
    "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Her Little Mojo Minion DankStar's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Marshall DSL 40C

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrec View Post
    I've been looking for a 1X12 combo for a while (as much as I love the 2X12 50w I have, it's pretty heavy to lug around). I was looking at the Peavey Valve King 1X12, but also ran across the Marshall DSL 40w combo. Does anyone have any experience with it? The reviews are decent, at least the ones on Musician's Friend's site.
    those new ones are awesome. tested one out and figured I'll pick one up down the road used. nice variety of crunch available, seemed solidly made. lotsa cool push buttons for different tones and such. GC has em - check it out!

I'm not a huge fan of 2 x 12 combos - at that point you may as well go w/ a head and 2 x 12 cab.
    Last edited by DankStar; 11-16-2012 at 12:23 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks. I agree. A 50w head and a separate cab is the way to go. I'll definitely check out the Marshall next time I'm at CG.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Lake Placid Blues's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They still make the DSL40?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
    They still make the DSL40?
    it's different now. Now it's has more in common with the Haze 40: Not made in England. A cheap MDF cab, a cheaper "custom voiced" celestion, and 40W output, with digital reverb. Probably ships with terrible tubes But now it's the same DSL 50/100 preamp with the new half power capability added, whereas the old DSL401C had 4xel84 with a different preamp I think?
    Ah and the thing I wanna try is the resonance control that replaces the deep switch.

But yeah I'd like to try one. Seems like a good way to compete with the orange and blackstar stuff that's been killing Marshall in the lower $ tube amp range. Clips I've heard have been how I imagined the amp would sound.
    ----
    My gear:
    Arisa, Fender American Standard Stratocaster
    Kureha, Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster

Orange OR15 head w/ Vox 112NT cab
    Fender Champion 20

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The thing I liked about the Peavey Valve King is that it's cheap, and if you replace the speaker and do a quick re-tube, it's supposed to sound awesome. But I thought that the Marshall might be a good alternative that you wouldn't have to mess with out of the box even though it's more $$

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To me the DSL40C seems like it would be better out of the box than a modded valve king. Especially if you're looking for a marshall flavor.

I never liked the voicing of the valveking.
    ----
    My gear:
    Arisa, Fender American Standard Stratocaster
    Kureha, Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster

Orange OR15 head w/ Vox 112NT cab
    Fender Champion 20

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had one of the Valveking combos a while back and did all the tube/speaker mods I could think of. I could only find one tone I liked out of it, and didn't think it was worth keeping the amp for. The new Marshall DSL40c seems to be more like a combo version of the older DSL 50 head, with a little less power and a half power option on top of that. It used the normal EL34 tubes which are the modern Marshall sound. The older version used EL84's which have more in common with Vox than Marshall. I like the resonance control and tone shift (for scooped metal) buttons on the new combos, and I think they chose a proper speaker for them. I have an older DSL 201 combo I'm going to sell to get one of these new combos. The price is very competitive with other mid sized combos, which is not the usual from Marshall. I think they've made a good move with this one. It has reasonable volumes for those of us who don't play stadiums, has enough tone tweaking options without being overly complex, and is affordable. Unless they develop some mechanical glitch, I say.. homerun!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
    I had one of the Valveking combos a while back and did all the tube/speaker mods I could think of. I could only find one tone I liked out of it, and didn't think it was worth keeping the amp for. The new Marshall DSL40c seems to be more like a combo version of the older DSL 50 head, with a little less power and a half power option on top of that. It used the normal EL34 tubes which are the modern Marshall sound. The older version used EL84's which have more in common with Vox than Marshall. I like the resonance control and tone shift (for scooped metal) buttons on the new combos, and I think they chose a proper speaker for them. I have an older DSL 201 combo I'm going to sell to get one of these new combos. The price is very competitive with other mid sized combos, which is not the usual from Marshall. I think they've made a good move with this one. It has reasonable volumes for those of us who don't play stadiums, has enough tone tweaking options without being overly complex, and is affordable. Unless they develop some mechanical glitch, I say.. homerun!
    Thanks. I appreciate the input. This will make the decision a bit easier

In a frenzied madness with your leathers and your spikes.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I forget the name of the company (I think it's Musikschmidt), but there's a great review from a German company on Youtube. The guy plays a Custom Shop LP and it sounds phenomenal!
    "I'd like to have a beer holder on my guitar like they have on boats." - James Hetfield

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I thought it had a nice crunch, little bright yeah but very compressed. It felt like it needed a boost to make riffing easier to smooth it out. Still decent for the money, I chose to go with the blues deluxe for cleans and to run my bogner red xtc pedal through. Retube the Marshall and a break in and bias would help.
    tone slut
    Fender 68 Custom Modified Twin Silver Face
    Bogner red/Blue
    Gibson SG standard
    MIM Fender Strat
    Mogami cables