I've been experimenting with pickups in my ESP MH-1000FR.
It's a pretty dark sounding guitar.
Set maple neck with mahogany body and rosewood fretboard.
I have an older PATB-1b (probably at least 10 years old with rusty pole pieces) and a newer one.
The older pickup came from one of the forum members here. There is no sticker to identify it, but it measures 16.19k ohms.
The newer one has a sticker on it that says, "PATB-1b." It measures 16.18k ohms.
The Tone Chart on the SD website says that it should read 15.7k ohms. I did not take readings with the original magnets installed.
I installed an alnico 8 magnet in both of them. I used the standard rough cast a-8 from Addiction FX on flea bay.
Both magnets look identical, as identical as rough cast metal can look.....
The newer pickup is shrill and harsh sounding, especially on the clean channel of my amp.
The older one sounds phenomenal! It is warm and fat and has harmonics and sustain like I have never seen out of this guitar!
So....Here is my list of questions for the bridge pickup. Forgive me if they seem odd or out of line or if I'm beating a dead horse.
1. Does the magnet in a pickup change the resistance reading on an ohm meter?
2. Have you guys seen dramatic differences in tone within magnets of the same type (most likely the same manufacturing batch)?
3. Have you noticed a difference in tone in the PATB-1's over the years?
4. Could it be that I got a super bright one or maybe they mellow with age? If they do mellow with age, is there a way to simulate the aging process? The older one sounds extremely phenomenal! It's the 1st bridge pickup I have liked since my PRS with original Dragon pickups.
The neck version sounds dull and lifeless in comparison to the bridge version, and in comparison to most neck pickups that I've had over the years. It did sound much better in my McCarty, which is a little bit brighter sounding than the ESP.
Here is my list of questions about the neck version.....
1. Would an A-4 magnet loosen it up a little and get rid of the tubby bass?
2. Would I be better off looking for a more dynamic pickup for the neck position? I want something with intense pick dynamics and the neck Parallel Axis just doesn't seem to have that.