Thread: Yup...another JB magnet question...sorry!

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Yup...another JB magnet question...sorry!

Okay, so...I posted about this Edwards LP that I picked up, which I must say...highly recommended. Happy to provide details to anyone interested, but I digress.
    I played out several times since that post, and I totally dig it...98%. The JB in the bridge is much nicer to my sound than I thought it would be, but since I am about to do some work on it anyway...I have some magnets (A3, A4, and UOA5). I have read a lot of the posts so I have an idea of what folks think, but I have a specific question. My sound with this guitar is that Robben Ford-type Fender Blackface + Barber Small Fry + whatever I need, which usually isn't much. The JB actually ends up sounding pretty nice for this IF I keep the volume rolled back and drop the tone a little. Opened of course, we get that high gain, ice-picky thing that everyone told me about, which I just don't use. Would I be able to counter this most effectively by:
    a) Using one of these magnets (A3, A4, and UOA5) instead of the stock A5
    b) Changing the tone pot to a 250
    c) combo of the above
    of course we also have:
    d) leave it alone and use the vol/tone (I certainly can do this)
    e) you need a different PUP (not sure I do)
    I really though that JB was coming out, but after playing it...sounds pretty great in the "sweet spot." I guess I'm asking if I can widen that sweet spot. I may put an UOA5 in that 59n too, but that's really pretty perfect already...I love 59's.
    I know there are a ton of questions about this PUP and mags, but I beg your indulgence as my question is pretty specific and I found lots of "can I get a classic rock tone" questions, but...that's not my bag.
    As always...Thanks all!
    One thing to add...I am gonna split these PUP's when the work goes down...in case that matters.
    Last edited by jbear; 03-23-2013 at 02:00 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Yup...another JB magnet question...sorry!

What value, brand and quality of pots are in the guitar at the moment?

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good question...it's an MIJ and the electronics generally don't appear to be cheap. Full size 500's I believe...caps are nothing special.
    I will put Bourne or CTS and PIO's in.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is your JB covered or with open bobbins?

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's open...I'm gonna cover it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The reason why I am interested is because I recently snagged a clearance deal on a Hamer XT Sunburst Archtop with factory-fitted 59n/JB pickups. Mine has chromed HB covers with a small SD logo in one corner. The '59n is spot on. The JB is less annoying than I thought it might be. I put this down to it being covered.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A cover may tame the treble a bit, depending on its material construction and thickness. You could definitely try that first and see what you think.

However, if you want a surefire way to reduce the "ice pick", but keep that A5 punch and clarity, go with the UOA5. That'll let you take advantage of the output and dynamics when wide open, but still keep the tone in a range I think you will find more useful.

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I will give that a try...thank you!

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think it might be a roughcast AO. I've never seen one but its rough and grey compared to the 5 i took out.

Think I should go ahead and throw one in the 59????? Or the A4?

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jbear View Post
    Okay, so...I posted about this Edwards LP that I picked up, which I must say...highly recommended. Happy to provide details to anyone interested, but I digress.
    I played out several times since that post, and I totally dig it...98%. The JB in the bridge is much nicer to my sound than I thought it would be, but since I am about to do some work on it anyway...I have some magnets (A3, A4, and UOA5). I have read a lot of the posts so I have an idea of what folks think, but I have a specific question. My sound with this guitar is that Robben Ford-type Fender Blackface + Barber Small Fry + whatever I need, which usually isn't much. The JB actually ends up sounding pretty nice for this IF I keep the volume rolled back and drop the tone a little. Opened of course, we get that high gain, ice-picky thing that everyone told me about, which I just don't use. Would I be able to counter this most effectively by:
    a) Using one of these magnets (A3, A4, and UOA5) instead of the stock A5
    b) Changing the tone pot to a 250
    c) combo of the above
    of course we also have:
    d) leave it alone and use the vol/tone (I certainly can do this)
    e) you need a different PUP (not sure I do)
    I really though that JB was coming out, but after playing it...sounds pretty great in the "sweet spot." I guess I'm asking if I can widen that sweet spot. I may put an UOA5 in that 59n too, but that's really pretty perfect already...I love 59's.
    I know there are a ton of questions about this PUP and mags, but I beg your indulgence as my question is pretty specific and I found lots of "can I get a classic rock tone" questions, but...that's not my bag.
    As always...Thanks all!
    One thing to add...I am gonna split these PUP's when the work goes down...in case that matters.
    Roughcast A5 with 250k pots, that's how Seymour runs the JB. All guitars sound a bit different but Seymours preference should be considered.

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jimlp View Post
    Roughcast A5 with 250k pots, that's how Seymour runs the JB. All guitars sound a bit different but Seymours preference should be considered.
    I will give it a go that way. Guess I can always swap for something else...I figure since they're uncovered at the moment...it's easier.
    I'm thinking about doing the 59 too (just the magnet) as long as I'm doing this. I have a bunch of guitars with 59's and it would be cool to have a comparison.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i never thought the treble of the JB is the problem, its the big honky mids that you feel you have to counter with your treble knob on your amp to drive past and through the honk. you end up with a upper mid to treble mess if your not careful.
    my youtube channel
    www.youtube.com/surfacexmusic

my Industrial music for sale here
    http://surfacex.bandcamp.com/

my soundcloud page
    https://soundcloud.com/surfacex

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Never thought of it that way. Interesting. I guess that's the challenge with these conversations...we're trying to describe something that's essentially a feeling. I know there's an actual measurable quality to it, but...we all hear the "numbers" in our own way. Still...I like a challenge.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So, thanks to my Hamer's VVT control layout, I can have A500k on the '59N, A250k on the JB and whatever I please on the tone control.

Alternatively, I can sell both covered SD pickups to a friend with a Hamer XT Standard then install something more "Pearly" on my XT Sunburst.

Win. Win.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Arse!

I just made the mistake of assessing my tone by noodling along to The Allman Brothers classic Fillmore live album. The '59N is in the right dynamic ballpark. The JB sticks out like, well, like John Cale's electric viola.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by masta' c View Post
    a surefire way to reduce the "ice pick", but keep that A5 punch and clarity, go with the UOA5. That'll let you take advantage of the output and dynamics when wide open, but still keep the tone in a range I think you will find more useful.
    +1. I'm a big fan of A2's and UOA5's in JB's; just too much spike and too thin with the stock magnet for me. A RC A5 helps tame treble, but only slightly.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The more I test my Hamer XT Sunburst, the more I am inclined to agree with blueman335 about the JB. It's coming out of the Hamer. The '59N is already out. (The midrange emphasis was in the wrong place and there wasn't enough of it.) Currently testing a PGn in the neck position. Cannot bring myself to install the mighty Brobucker in this thing.

Treating the Hamer XT Sunburst like a Les Paul was a mistake. (It lacks the gravitas.) Thinking of it more like a Junior or an SG seems to be the way forward. Thus, a Custom/'59 hybrid or something with an A8 magnet in it might be next.

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I put the UOA5, but have only had time to noodle for a few minutes. It sounded more "mature" maybe? Still had that cut but it's like the resonant peak shifted to the left a little bit and was wider (I may not know what I am talking about but that's my perception). Definitely have to play it more.
    Now I need to get the covers off of the 59's in a Ibanez 103 to put UOA5's in those. Pain. I like covered PUP's, but...you have to take the covers off to mess with them.
    It's fascinating to me what you can do for next nothing to get things just the way you like.
    I'll let you all know how it turns out. Amazing instrument...I just gotta say that once again. I played another $3500 Gibson yesterday while I was dropping this off at my tech's house. I do believe I like this Edwards better, and I think I'm pretty objective about it. I have Gibsons...I love Gibsons. I think my 339 is right up there with the finest I've played. Edwards...who'd-a-thunk?

Ultimate Tone Slacker Rockstar216's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The PGn with the a2 might be up your alley. I like the stock PGn for what it is but for the stuff I play which is anything from Gospel (Trad/Contem) to R&B/Smooth Jazz to blues, to harder rock I need just a bit more clarity from it on the bottom end which is why i'm swapping in a UOA5 mag to see if it gives me what I want. If I was playing just blues or Jazz then yea a Stock PGn is the choice for me. I like the fullness and singing rounded highs but my only complaint is the bass needs to be tightened up or tapered off just a tad bit.

As far as that A8 your talking about I use a C8 and it's great for what I do even has a great clean sound only complaint for me is it can sound a bit sterile or too compressed at times so you might want to try it in a low output wind pup.
    Quote Originally Posted by KBliss View Post
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.