Thread: A new toy: SansAmp TRI-A.C.: Woohoo!!!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default A new toy: SansAmp TRI-A.C.: Woohoo!!!

Hi there,
    I couldn't resist sharing this with you: Just scored a SansAmp TRI-A.C. I've been jonesing that thing for some time, as to me it seemed like a perfect way to make a 4-channel beast of an amp out of my modest Laney LC-15. I have to try it out in rehearsal yet, but my home listening tests suggest it may very well be the end of my tone quest.

The thing's used but it cost me more than a new one would, had I bought in the US at the current exchange rate. But I'm still happy because if I bought a new one and had it shipped from the US, the price might be even higher than what I paid for mine due to shipping, local customs, VAT etc.etc. It's in a good shape and the seller told me it can last on a 9-volt battery for pretty long.

Are there any TRI-A.C. users on the forum? Do you have any experience to share with a newbie?

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Tony
    Gibson Hawk Series guitars rule!

Fave SD pups: Duncan Custom, Alnico II Pro, Pearly Gates, Phat Cats; Nashville Studio and Alnico II Pro for Tele; a Sadducer in my Crafter acoustic.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: A new toy: SansAmp TRI-A.C.: Woohoo!!!

Hey Tony...WELCOME!!!!

I love Sansamp/TECH21 stuff & I'm glad to hear you like your new "toy" !

The main knock I hear about this pedal is that there is a loud "POP" when switching to & from the high gain settings. Have you experienced anything like that???
    Squier Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400 thru a Fuchs Lucky 7
    Brian Moore i1p.13/Line 6 HD-500/Alesis M1 Active 320 USB Studio Monitors/Macbook

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PUCKBOY99
    Hey Tony...WELCOME!!!!

I love Sansamp/TECH21 stuff & I'm glad to hear you like your new "toy" !

The main knock I hear about this pedal is that there is a loud "POP" when switching to & from the high gain settings. Have you experienced anything like that???
    No, I haven't. I tried it through a Genesis 1 modeler and a homemade 5-watt solid state combo, and I can't remember any pops. But I don't use high gain settings - I set both the Marshall and Mesa-type channels for a very little gain. I don't like super-saturated sound. I like my sound to be rather touch-sensitive.
    That said, I haven't tried it with my regular amp, so maybe I'm in for a nasty surprise, who knows. Hope I'm not anyway!

Fave SD pups: Duncan Custom, Alnico II Pro, Pearly Gates, Phat Cats; Nashville Studio and Alnico II Pro for Tele; a Sadducer in my Crafter acoustic.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just checked the Harmony Central reviews. Out of 89 entries, fewer than 10 people mention the popping, and some just when switching from the Mesa hi-gain channel to the Fender clean channel. One reviewer said the popping was there only when he switched the channels while sustaining a note (like at the end of a solo).
    Anyway, I will get to try mine with my Laney no sooner than Wednesday, so in the meantime I can try on my home setup, maybe omitting the Genesis from the signal path. Tech21 says in the manual that running the unit through a digital modeler will yield an inferior sound.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you don't use high gain settings, you're gonna love that pedal. With the gain dimed, it's the noisiest thing I've ever owned, but the cleaner settings are awesome. If the gain hadn't been so noisy, I'd still own one It's about the most touch-sensitive pedal you're gonna find, too.

Enjoy!
    Buy the book in my avatar. It's pretty cool.

http://jchutchins.net/site/order/

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JB_From_Hell
    If you don't use high gain settings, you're gonna love that pedal. With the gain dimed, it's the noisiest thing I've ever owned, but the cleaner settings are awesome. If the gain hadn't been so noisy, I'd still own one It's about the most touch-sensitive pedal you're gonna find, too.

Enjoy!
    Thanks! You have me sighing with relief!

I want the convenience of four preset sounds (a clean one, a louder clean one, an overdriven one, and a louder overdriven one) without multiple pedals, each set for a specific tone.

There were times when I was poor but not lazy and I did all those sounds with my guitar's volume knob. But now that I've grown fatter and lazier, all I want is the ease of the stompbox setup. I can still use the volume knob as a bonus.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for clearing that up JB !

I'm not in the market for one myself, but as you know, I likes me some SansAmp/TECH21 stuff. Hate to turn someone on to something that sucks!!!
    Squier Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400 thru a Fuchs Lucky 7
    Brian Moore i1p.13/Line 6 HD-500/Alesis M1 Active 320 USB Studio Monitors/Macbook

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley