Thread: Fender Super Sonic 60 vs. Marshall DSL40C

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Fender Super Sonic 60 vs. Marshall DSL40C

I have a Fender Super Sonic 60 Combo... Cool looking amp, sounds great, bit heavy, but it just works....

However, not long ago I had a Marshall 1974X clone that also sounded great, but limited on features, after a few rounds of buying/selling/trading, I now have the SS 60...

But Marshall has come out with the DSL40C... I recently caught a clip of Joe Bonamassa cranking out one with his custom ES-335. Sounded nice no matter what he did... Its crossing my mind to switch amps again. Granted tone is in the hands as much as the gear in regards to JB, but what do you think about the amp?

Biggest question... For those that have or can try/own either amp, which would you prefer? What makes one better than the other to you?

My Pros about the Fender SS:
    The effects loop is buffered and can be used as solo boost...
    The Bassman channel sounds cool (which Marshall amps originally designed after)
    The Burn channel can compress nicely and scream using humbuckers or single coils...
    Can be really loud if needed

My Cons about the Fender SS:
    A bit heavy
    I never turn the volume up past 4 on stage or rehearsals, not sure if I'm getting any saturated tube tones.
    Sounds bright when volume is down

Granted the Marshall is darn near the same size, but 1/3 to 2/3 of the wattage (depending on amp setting), I think I may get better saturated tone at a lower perceived volume....

Thoughts?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Fender Super Sonic 60 vs. Marshall DSL40C

Not really... you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between 40 and 60 watts. The speakers will make a much much greater difference in the actual volume. DSL's are really cool IF you like that tone. Which I would really say check it out for yourself to see if you dig it. Yeah the original marshalls were based on the bassman but comparing even the original JTM45 to the DSL is like comparing a 65 mustang to a 2012 Mustang. Sure they might share some of the same features and in certain aspects even perform similarly but even from the outside you can see they are a different animal.

Almost everything you said about the Sonic 60 applies to the DSL... its more pick your flavor. You a Pepsi guy or a Coke guy?
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Super Toneologist SongsForTheDeaf's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would take the Super Sonic over the DSL anyday.... I hate the DSLs, they sound soo boomy and ice picky at the same time and suck at cutting through and sounding good in a band setting
    Guitar-1980 Hamer USA Sunburst
    Pedals-Whammy V, Boss Super Octave, Morley Volume, Wampler Triple Wreck, Bass Big Muff PI, Boss Tera Echo, VS Axle Grease, Polytune.
    Amp- Fender Solid State M-80 100 watt head->Peavey Ported 1x15 cab.
    Extras-Ibanez Artist,1976 Ampeg VT-22 2x12, Ampeg Reverb Rocket, Ampeg GVT15H.

Proud Band Whore

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Personally I'd rather have the 74x over the DSL. But I love an amp that I don't need a crane to move, so if you like the way the DSL sounds it's probably worth at least investigating. If they're in stock at your local shop, be it GC or another retailer, bring your guitar in and ask if you can try it out.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I tried to get my old 1974x clone back, but the guy who traded me his Orange TT 1x12 combo for it disappeared... When I got it, its baffle was blank. I found the right Marshall logo for it... Damn if it didn't look good after that...

Looks nearly as good as it sounded!

Mojo's Minions Laughing Kookaburra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitblues View Post
    I tried to get my old 1974x clone back, but the guy who traded me his Orange TT 1x12 combo for it disappeared... When I got it, its baffle was blank. I found the right Marshall logo for it... Damn if it didn't look good after that...

Looks nearly as good as it sounded!
    Who needs features with that? That is sweet!

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ive played both, if a more pronounced el34 clip is what you like the Marshall has it in spades. It is nice and easy to get with this amp. Its clean is ok, better then many Marshalls Ive played in the past but its not 6l6 tube clean. The Marshalls strong point is its gain likethe fenders best point is its clean. Its what you like more and can live with after when choosing

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You need them both. Seriously. Everyone needs at least one good Fender for clean and slightly overdriven sounds, and one good Marshall for crunch and metal tones. I have a Supersonic 22 and a Marshall JVM410c and I wouldn't want to be without either one. I've been thinking about trading the Marshall JVM for a DSL40c because that JVM weighs a ton, and I don't use the super high gain channels enough to miss them.

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
    You need them both. Seriously. Everyone needs at least one good Fender for clean and slightly overdriven sounds, and one good Marshall for crunch and metal tones. I have a Supersonic 22 and a Marshall JVM410c and I wouldn't want to be without either one. I've been thinking about trading the Marshall JVM for a DSL40c because that JVM weighs a ton, and I don't use the super high gain channels enough to miss them.
    to me this is excellent advice, the 40c is around 700? well worth the investment for Marshall clipping tones. half power mode you can get a great clip on the hot channel and full power I like the medium gain channel. crunchy bliss and enough gain to smooth it out and sustain the notes easily. Its a great unit I wish came also in just a head form as the speaker provided kinda holds back its full potential. The supersonics value lies in its multiple clean tone options and fat blues tone that otherwise would require multiple pedals to get with other amps. Its just a great amp to gig with. I especially like the SS 22 and played one with a p90 equiped guitar that clipped the tubes in a glorius fat clip. However due to loudness we only had it up to 4 so it had more to go and I am not even sure what it would sound like had we really pushed the 6v6 power tubes more.
    guitars we tried thru it were-Gretsch White Falcon, Paul Reed Smith, 2 Fender Delux Strats, a cheap mexican strat to see what the amp could enhance on a cheap guitar, one standard american strat with fat 50's.
    the Marshall 40c we played the Gretsch White Falson, Paul Reed Smith (with humbuckers) and Standard American Strat
    Last edited by philthis; 06-07-2013 at 05:41 PM.

Banned
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As much as I like Marshalls (or at least until their prices skyrocketed into ridiculousness), I'd have to say that the SS is overall more useful. The clean channel is thin, and the gain channel can sound like a bee inside a Coke can if you don't dial it in right, but it produces some of the nicest sounds I've heard. The Super-Sonic was given a slight mod and cosmetic change a while back. It improved the low end, thickened the clean channel, and reduced the tinniness of the lead channel, so you might want to look at getting the updated version. I had one that came with a V30, which is one of my all-time favorite speakers, but Eminence has a few speakers like the Private Jack that can really make the Super-Sonic sing.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by philthis View Post
    to me this is excellent advice, the 40c is around 700? well worth the investment for Marshall clipping tones. half power mode you can get a great clip on the hot channel and full power I like the medium gain channel. crunchy bliss and enough gain to smooth it out and sustain the notes easily. Its a great unit I wish came also in just a head form as the speaker provided kinda holds back its full potential. The supersonics value lies in its multiple clean tone options and fat blues tone that otherwise would require multiple pedals to get with other amps. Its just a great amp to gig with. I especially like the SS 22 and played one with a p90 equiped guitar that clipped the tubes in a glorius fat clip. However due to loudness we only had it up to 4 so it had more to go and I am not even sure what it would sound like had we really pushed the 6v6 power tubes more.
    guitars we tried thru it were-Gretsch White Falcon, Paul Reed Smith, 2 Fender Delux Strats, a cheap mexican strat to see what the amp could enhance on a cheap guitar, one standard american strat with fat 50's.
    the Marshall 40c we played the Gretsch White Falson, Paul Reed Smith (with humbuckers) and Standard American Strat
    I have seen the used 40c for around $450. Not bad at all. I'm a big fan of buying used when ever I can. Only exception is wah pedals.... They wear out and need replacement parts frequently.

I have a newer SS60. It has the Greenback V30 in it. As far as weight goes, it's in the 50+ lbs and the 40c is just a couple pounds less.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The SS60 rawks. Versatile piece of iron right there.

DSL40C? I know nothink. Nothink!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DreX View Post
    Nearly everyone still in this thread should have me on ignore by now. The fact that they don't says everything.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitblues View Post
    I have seen the used 40c for around $450. Not bad at all. I'm a big fan of buying used when ever I can. Only exception is wah pedals.... They wear out and need replacement parts frequently.

I have a newer SS60. It has the Greenback V30 in it. As far as weight goes, it's in the 50+ lbs and the 40c is just a couple pounds less.

I play a 100W Supersonic usually with a PRS Santana sig and they go very well together!
    Very pleased I selected the current supersonic twin. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The new SS twins are cool, especially all the features it has compared to any other amp. The tube monitoring, 1/4 power setting... It's so cool.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The supersonics are crazy versatile amps. If you have to pick one, it's the hands-down winner.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I do rather enjoy my Super Sonic, especially since the first channel is a Bassman channel...