Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Fender 68 Deluxe Reverb Reissue

Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New Fender 68 Deluxe Reverb Reissue

Quote Originally Posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
    You guys both have some crazy ideas on pricing. SFDRs go for 800-1200 from what I've seen. At that price it will cost you more to get a vintage unit and have it modded than to get one of these. I hear people say all the time that they wouldn't pay over X for a silverface amp but they've been going up in price.
    There is a big difference between SFDRs - especially the '68s from the rest. The '68 drip edge/black line model is a blackface amp with silverface cosmetics. Still had a pine cab, etc. Highly desirable amps to a lot of collectors.

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I live in the Northeast and SF Fender Deluxes have just been going up and up. Princetons & Vibroluxes too. I bought my 68 blackline / drip edge Super a couple years ago for 900 bucks, but even the big amps keep going up in price now. I recently saw a 68 Deluxe in a store near me, they wanted 1800 bucks and it was missing a back panel and didn't have the original speaker. It was still a great sounding amp and I asked if they would take a cash offer of 1400 on it, no dice. The 68 fenders are top notch sounding fenders IMO. Most of the amps are identical to BF amps except for the cosmetics. People have been snatching them up for the past few years and that has led to some drip edge hype. I thought these new reissues were priced a little less than the 65 DRRI, is that the case?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I should have known there was a time when Silverface would become a big thing - they've been undesirable for a lot of years.

I'll admit, the 70's were a time for Fender to start cutting back on the quality and that's why blackfaces have the reputation they have, but silverfaces were still great amps by any standard (vintage or modern). Heck, I bought a '69 Super Reverb for pretty cheap and with some work it's turned out quite nice. Still, the fact that you can easily service these P-T-P amps over the PCB based stuff these days makes me question why folks feel that's a better way to go unless the PCB stuff is cheaper and in this instance, any average silverface (noted, not drip edge - because those prices are ridiculous) will be more competitively priced than these newer products Fender is releasing.

Drip edge is really a gimmick. With silverface cosmetics and blackface guts I can understand the appeal to a certain degree, but they're collectors items only and the price reflects that. If you're into vintage Fenders and want a good deal, just get a later silverface amp and call it a day. Your pockets will thank you. Heck at the prices drip edges are going for, you can get an earlier blackface model and still save some money (because simply they were more abundant).
    Last edited by That90'sGuy; 09-02-2013 at 11:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevlar3000 View Post
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerberus View Post
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Quote Originally Posted by ginormous View Post
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Master of his Domain Agileguy_101's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by erksin View Post
    I find it funny that really all they have done here is change the faceplate, grille cloth, and add trim to a DRRI and sell it for a couple hundo more. Same amp on the inside, people. Nothing to see here.
    Wait what?

First off, it's the same price as a DRRI - 1k. Second, there are a bunch of features that the DRRI doesn't have, including global reverb/trem, modified normal channel, and a new speaker. I think it's a great deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post
    Happy with an Epi? Great! Want an R9? Great! Like paying a thai hooker to strap up and roto root your backside cause you think it makes you hit the high notes better? Great! If they are happy and go out and play some kick ass music then its all good in my book.
    Powered by Alnico 8 and fuzz.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by erksin View Post
    There is a big difference between SFDRs - especially the '68s from the rest. The '68 drip edge/black line model is a blackface amp with silverface cosmetics. Still had a pine cab, etc. Highly desirable amps to a lot of collectors.
    I'll admit I didn't know that it was so valuable. My knowledge of drip edge era amps is more focused on the high power heads. I thought they changed the DR early into the silverface era.
    Last edited by Agileguy_101; 09-02-2013 at 01:33 PM.
    Happy with an Epi? Great! Want an R9? Great! Like paying a thai hooker to strap up and roto root your backside cause you think it makes you hit the high notes better? Great! If they are happy and go out and play some kick ass music then its all good in my book.
    Powered by Alnico 8 and fuzz.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm in the market for a SFDR, but I think I'll likely stick to an early 70's vintage model over this reissue. The reissue looks cool, but I'd imagine the price on a 70 or 71 would be about the same as the reissue ones, and I'd rather have a cool piece of vintage gear than a reissue. I'd love to buy a 68, but they go for a lot more than the early 70's ones, they are honestly almost as much as blackface ones.
    Go Packers!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another option, if you want a brand spanking new vintage amp is to try and find one of these used for a couple hundred less, then have an amp builder gut the PCB and replace it with a 65 spec PTP board. Luckily, this new reissue comes with handwired tube sockets and good transformers.

For a few hundred, the reissue could be turned into a 65 spec. But who knows, maybe the stock amp's new features makes it worth keeping??

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DankStar View Post
    I don't know one fender from another but it looks cool. What's drip edge mean?
    Drip edge means it has an aluminum frame around the grill cloth. I am
    Pretty sure they only did it in late 67 and 68
    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt42 View Post
    I'm in the market for a SFDR, but I think I'll likely stick to an early 70's vintage model over this reissue. The reissue looks cool, but I'd imagine the price on a 70 or 71 would be about the same as the reissue ones, and I'd rather have a cool piece of vintage gear than a reissue. I'd love to buy a 68, but they go for a lot more than the early 70's ones, they are honestly almost as much as blackface ones.
    That's a good decision. The RI are almost as much as a broken in used silver and the diver will sound so much better. The drawback to it is if it is untouched it will more than likely need a cap job, tubes and whatever else to get it to sing!
    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Ultimate Tone Slacker GuitarGuy503's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gearjoneser View Post
    I just noticed this.....which ships in September 2013. Fender Vintage Modified Series version of a 68 'drip edge' Deluxe Reverb, with some updated features.

I've always liked the look of pristine silverface amps, and my 74 Pro Reverb has a blue jewel lamp just like this reissue......it looks better than a red light against all the blue accents on the amp.

I know it's another PCB amp made in Mexico, but it looks to be a pretty nice version of a Deluxe Reverb. It'll probably be too limited to even find one in a showroom.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-68-Cu...item1c3610be92

[edit] I'm glad to see it's got handwired tube sockets and upgraded transformers. That's a big plus.

Other Features: Modified Deluxe Reverb all-tube circuitry, shared reverb and tremolo
    on both channels, “Vintage” channel for traditional silverface operation,
    modified “Custom” channel with Bassman tone stack, reduced negative
    feedback for greater touch sensitivity, hand-wired tube sockets,
    custom-made Schumacher transformers (like the originals), genuine
    Fender tube-driven spring reverb, genuine Fender tube-driven tremolo
    (“vibrato”), 1968-style Silverface aluminum trim around silver-turquoise
    grille cloth
    Are you sure the RI's are made in Mexico? I was under the impression that the non RI's were made in mexico but it would be news to me if the RI's were as well. Perhaps someone else can confirm either way as well....
    2010 Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
    Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
    BadCat Unleash Attenuater/Re-amplifier
    LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
    Mogami Cables
    Pedals: Dr. Scientist Mini Reverberator & TC Electronic Polytune.
    Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGuy503 View Post
    Are you sure the RI's are made in Mexico? I was under the impression that the non RI's were made in mexico but it would be news to me if the RI's were as well. Perhaps someone else can confirm either way as well....
    The DRRI, SRRI, and TRRI are all made in Mexico, among other Fender amps.