Thread: Review: custom/distortion with big ceramic mag

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Review: custom/distortion with big ceramic mag

So I just did a review of the custom with big ceramic. It's really great (see thread) I did that review after I tried the custom 8 (also cool).
    This hybrid is awesome! I love the custom wind and what it brings to the table sonically. I've used it in several hybrids. I love the big low end it has with that paf(ish) flavor.
    The custom with big ceramic was really cool. Huge sound! But still tight and clear (see review)

The custom/dd big mag hybrid is definitely louder in volume than the custom/big mag. It has more of a grind to it which is typical to hybrids. It's a bit more open sounding and has a brighter sound. It's not brittle or overbearing but definitely more clear. Low end is still tight and big. Custom/big mag sounds darker and warmer compared to this hybrid. Not that it sounds dark In general, but compared to this hybrid it does.
    The distortion adds its bright open shredding character to it. It's still tight but adds a cutting element to it, which is typical to the Distortion, but still keeps the low end thud and bloom typical of the custom wind. I love the fullness or what I like to call "the meat" that the custom offers. This was something that was lacking with the stock Distortion. With this hybrid, it keeps the precise, shredding, cutting quality of the DD but adds the big low end thud of the custom and adds some fullness to it. This hybrid has better response (compliments of the distortion) compared to regular custom. Singing lead tone! It's more compressed obviously than alnico but the hybrid is more compressed to me than the custom/big mag, but not so much that it gets old. Custom/big mag cleans up better than this hybrid but you gain so much more with the grind,openness, tightness and aggression by adding the DD coil!
    Again! It not over the top aggression. I feel like the JB8 was waaaayyy more aggressive and aggravating that either of these ( custom or DD).
    This hybrid is suited for all styles rock and roll and heavy metal. It cleans up better than you would think but If u want cleaner than that.. Go with the custom8
    Last edited by dvanburen; 09-12-2013 at 06:57 AM.

Ultimate Kitten Puncher King IzzO)))'s Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Review: custom/distortion with big ceramic mag

Yep, I've got a Custom/Invader (caps replaced with slugs) big ceramic and a Custom/JB double screw (one row of short BK screws/one row with demon hexes) big ceramic, really like them both. Not the same, but both are similar. They have some BK-ish things going on with them.

I made Lats a Custom/Invader A8 and Alteredbeast has the Invader capped double slug Custom/JB big ceramic I made. I don't know if Lats ever used his yet, but AB seems to like his. Maybe he can drop knowledge on that one.
    HAIL HYDRA

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Which one was the screw and which one the slug, and how much of a difference does that make?

You should try an A8 in it as well. Just to be thorough.

Ultimate Kitten Puncher King IzzO)))'s Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I didn't test the first one I made at all, that's the one Lats has, and I'm still waiting for him to tell me about it.

The second one I just tried real quick, just to make sure yeah, I like it like that... I was also testing for double screw/slug/Invader caps, etc. I like it with the Custom coil toward the bridge, same with the one I put the caps in.

Honestly, I think maybe it's slightly beefier with maybe a bit more of the DD in it, but not really significantly different. Being double screw/hex/Invader cap screws, that changed it more than the direction the coils face.
    HAIL HYDRA

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EET_FUK View Post
    Which one was the screw and which one the slug, and how much of a difference does that make?

You should try an A8 in it as well. Just to be thorough.
    im using custom screw/dd slug. Ive got the other one waiting to go into another guitar soon. And I did do this one with an A8 mag. Like the big ceramic better. The A8 gave it a top end that was too much for me. It was a little shrill and stood out. Didnt quite have the power as the big mag. and the big mag is tighter. As with the custom/jb i did with the A8, it was almost out of control like a wild animal. It was cool but A8 was loud and the high end was too much for me. The big mag is tighter, warmer and more focused to me and the bottom end is very powerful compared to the A8

Tone Member

awesome, I did a hybrid with a double thick ceramic, DD and a Full shred, which is based on the custom wind, so very similar, I absolutely love it. definitely a thicker and deeper sounding DD while still being clear and defined.

I need some Super d screws so I can try an invader with set screws and a full shred hybrid.