Thread: Need some info on an old JB please

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Need some info on an old JB please

A friend has this pickup and is wondering if anyone here can shed some light on it's age
    and/or worth? It's an older JB model i believe.

Name:  image_zps62a0c85e.jpeg
Views: 822
Size:  34.2 KB

Name:  image1_zps8063d577.jpeg
Views: 819
Size:  39.3 KB

Ultimate Tone Member Brian Griffin's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Need some info on an old JB please

Probably from the eighties, wound by Maricella Juarez, as the last 'J' indicates.

Ultimate Tone Member Brian Griffin's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is a link to a story that might shed some light on how much that pickup is worth:

http://www.premierguitar.com/article...tom-shop-queen

Banned
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's only worth what someone will pay you for it.

With that said, you can still get one just like it today. Call MJ in the custom shop and she will still make that one for you and with any options you want (leg length, pole spacing, color, etc.).

Sent from my armored space station using Tapatalk on iPad

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

FWIW - I had one that that looked identical with the same label. It was made in '89.

I would guess it's probably from the 80's to early- or mid- 90's.

That old JB, for some reason, sounded the best of any of the JB's I have had. I was never sure if it was due to it being a pickup with narrow spaced pole pieces (my others were trembuckers) or if there was something different about the manufacturing or components used in the late 80's. It may have just been that the magnet had somehow aged nicely. Don't know... Sounded great though.
    Last edited by Steve R.; 12-17-2013 at 04:20 AM. Reason: spelling

Super Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Collectible old JB made by Seymour's best known winder

How much better or not really seems to be ymmv, but as long as it works, surely not worse. And, hey, its got history. In other words, cool vibes, niiiice item :-)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R. View Post
    FWIW - I had one that that looked identical with the same label. It was made in '89.

I would guess it's probably from the 80's to early- or mid- 90's.

That old JB, for some reason, sounded the best of any of the JB's I have had. I was never sure it it was due to it being a pickup with narrow spaced pole pieces (my others were trembuckers) or if there was something different about the manufacturing or components used in the late 80's. It may have just been that the magnets had somehow aged nicely. Don't know. Sounded great though.
    The older JBs had rough cast Alnico 5 magnets, while the new ones (excluding the anniversary and antiquity edition ones) have polished Alnico 5 magnets. The difference is the older one is supposedly a hair less icepicky. I can't comment on that, as I've only ever tried the newer version of the JB.
    My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by kevlar3000 View Post
    The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
    Quote Originally Posted by CTN View Post
    I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How does the condition (polished, rough, etc) of the magnet affect the sound of a pickup? i see talk of this here, but have no idea how this could make a difference. Or the length of the legs?

Super Toneologist zenmindbeginner's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You can listen for yourself here.

Most magnets are polished to strict tolerances so that they create a more unified and predictable field. A roughcast magnet has the imprint of the sand particles from the cast or mold. The raised and uneven surface of the magnet can impart a slight and unique sonic character due to the fact that no two casts made of sand are identical. It can affect the pickup's frequency spectrum and can also make the pickup respond differently. These differences are subtle but are definitely there. For reference:

35th Anny JB - Roughcast A5
    Production JB - Smooth polished A5 magnet
    Antiquity JB - Roughcast and Degaussed A5
    "Stumbled across a review of the George Lynch-designed, Seymour Duncan-produced Super V pickup on YouTubeand it’s frickin’ great!
    No secret that most guitar-stuff reviews on YT suck. Not this one, folks! It clocks in at a long 11+ minutes and is worth every…minute. Enjoy!
    " - woodytone

Ultimate Tone Member CountFeedback's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

yep that label sticker style is 80s to mid 1990s
    with the "long legs" and 6 screw pole base plate (newer ones have universal plate with holes for 12 screw poles)
    I'd say that JB is likely from the 80s... maybe early early 90s. I know by the 95/96 they used the universal plate.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by zenmindbeginner View Post
    Most magnets are polished to strict tolerances so that they create a more unified and predictable field. A roughcast magnet has the imprint of the sand particles from the cast or mold. The raised and uneven surface of the magnet can impart a slight and unique sonic character due to the fact that no two casts made of sand are identical. It can affect the pickup's frequency spectrum and can also make the pickup respond differently. These differences are subtle but are definitely there.
    +1. Zhang (member here who winds PU's) says roughcast mags have a 'smoother' high-end and that he uses them in bridge PU's to take off any harshness. I've since followed suit, and almost all of my bridge HB's and P-90's have rough casts in them. Polished mags seem to have a slightly sharper high-end, which you may need if you use a lot of distortion or effects.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for posting it here for me Texas Slim.

Thanks for the info guys. I believe I'll hang on to this pickup for now by what y'all have said.

It came with a 1986 Jackson I traded for from a friend. It was in the Jackson when he got it around 1987-1988 and he had a Parallel Axis installed. I'm not sure where the original pickup out of the Jackson got to but it still had the mid boost stuff in it when I rewired it for him and took the mid boost out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the info guys! I couldn't remember if I was a member on here or not and had Texas to ask about this for me.

From what I've seen I believe I'm gonna hold on to this one for a while.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the info folks! It's my pickup and thank you for asking for me Texas Slim. I asked Texas if he would ask about it on here for me because at the time I couldn't remember if I had an account or not.

One of my friends told me that it was kind of a sought after pickup so I was just curious as to why.

After seeing what you guys have said I think I'll hang on to it and put it in my Flyin V.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you ,gentlemen. This helps.