Thread: Bill Lawrence L500XL and L500L

Digitally Challenged Mr 9finger's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Bill Lawrence L500XL and L500L

I just snagged a set of these off evilbay! I've used these before and loved them. I just wanted to hear your opinions on them! I haven't decided what I'm going to put them in or just build something around them yet. I'd like to do an H/S/H setup, but I would definately have to go with an L250 if I can find a real one!

So let the comments fly......What do you guys think of these!

BTW, these are the real ones not the fakes!

theodie

Default Re: Bill Lawrence L500XL and L500L

I love them!! I use an Xl500 and a L500C in my Jackson and a L280 set in my tele I am building. BTW, I have an extra authentic L250XL if you wanted to make me a good offer on it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Offer him a nickel
    Buy the book in my avatar. It's pretty cool.

http://jchutchins.net/site/order/

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is black or white?

theodie

Quote Originally Posted by JB_From_Hell
    Offer him a nickel
    A nickel huh? You bastad!!

Its white and you have two retuned pm's waiting for you 9finger.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey Guys, can you throw some more info about those L500XL pickups?
    Are they are really so good as Bill & Becky`s site says ?

theodie

Quote Originally Posted by Nanoman
    In my opinion they do!! Some of the most versatile pickups I have ever played. They do about everything very well.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've got an L-500XL from the BLUSA folks and IT's great. I was playing AC/DC's "You Shook Me" last night and it sounded awfully nice - bright, loud, lots of harmonics. I'd imagince that Bill's sound at least as good as the one I've got.

theodie

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesman75
    I've got an L-500XL from the BLUSA folks and IT's great. I was playing AC/DC's "You Shook Me" last night and it sounded awfully nice - bright, loud, lots of harmonics. I'd imagince that Bill's sound at least as good as the one I've got.
    I have played both the Bill lawrence and the Bill Lawrence USA and they are both very good. The Bill Lawrence version has more harmonics and is a tad brighter. I my opinion it is a tad better in my opinion.

theodie

Quote Originally Posted by Nanoman
    I certainly think so!! I have the XL-500, L-500C, L-280 set. The main thing I like about their pickups is all of them I have played are so versatile. They do about everything very well. They are also very quite.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

+1

Ultimate Tone Slacker Metalman_666's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dime used to use the Bill Lawrence XXL 500 I believe he called it once... great sound coming from his amps.
    • Ibanez ART600TK (Custom8/Air Norton)
    • Schecter C-1 Classic (JB+Custom Hybrid/Jazz)
    • Schecter A-7 Avenger (EMG 707/607)
    • MIM Fender Strat (Stock)
    • Vox V847 / Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> VisualSound Route66 --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> Fulltone FatBoost 3 --> Line6 DL4
    • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B short head (SED =C= 6L6) + Ear Candy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)
    • Vox Valvetronix AD30VT

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I actually never knew for them and they are exactly what I`m looking for. I`m happy now. Goin`to order a piece for my RG570.

theodie, a question: You said how Bill and Becky`s are a Bit brighter, and a few others confirmed it. For comparison, I`ll put it in basswood guitar, what is your wood?

I like, damn, I need an edge but would run away from too trebly guitar (I remember one guy`s Peavey Vandenberg guitar...it was so trebly, that was comedy. Really good bite, but so much lacking of bass, it was sounding like a fierce and angry toy guitar. It just makes you go: "Oohh come on, do sit down" and laugh loudly.
    Sorry guys, if someone actually liked that sound...you probably have the same joke for us "thunder & roaaarrr" freaks

I`m going for the Bill & Becky`pickup, i think it couldn`t be so trebly? And yes, what about the L500c neck, is it deep clear round glassy bassy tone, or is it more of wild and untamed beast?

Thanks, I won`t bother you much more, I`m almost done now.
    I need these info, cause I don`t live in the states and can`t phone Bill.
    Keep rockin` !
    Last edited by Nanoman; 01-31-2005 at 07:50 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One of the design criteria that BL uses, is the avoidance of metal parts in and around the pickup. He, (Bill Lawrence), cites "avoidance of eddy currents" as the reason. And, he is quite correct. Anytime you have metal, in close proximity to a magnetic field, and you generate a current through that magnetic field, you induce a voltage, and thus a current, on that nearby metal. The amount of voltage, and subsequent current, that you induce into something like a base plate, is wasted power.

Does that affect the tone of the pup? Absolutely. Is it bad? Thats a grey area. Its part of the "character" of the pickups sound. Its like . . . which is better, old American big-block, muscle cars, or new Ferraris. Ask John Force, or Michael Schumaker, and you'll get different answers. They're both fast.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that SD's are crude American muscle, and BL's are svelt German luxo-pups. I'm just saying, to each their own. A big block goes better into a Barracuda than it does a Porsche. A flat-12 goes better into a boxer than it does a Chevelle.

I'm babbling again . . . aren't I?
    You get my point . . . I think. They're all good - in the right application.

theodie

I use the Xl-500 and the L-500C in a Jackson Sl-4. It has a maple neck through neck and ash wings. The 500C has a great glassy tone and clear tone. Its sort of like a single in the neck but, not really. I highly would suggest that set. The XL and the C mix really well also even though they are so much different. 16K versus something like 5.3K . They have this cool sounding twangy/acoustic quality to them in the middle position. I ORDER YOU TO GET THEM!!!! You wont be sorry!!! BTW, Have you looked at my profile? Mine have chrome surrounds. Very cool. I just wish I had got them in zebra though. Maybe next time.
    Last edited by theodie; 01-31-2005 at 08:38 PM.

theodie

Quote Originally Posted by ArtieToo
    One of the design criteria that BL uses, is the avoidance of metal parts in and around the pickup. He, (Bill Lawrence), cites "avoidance of eddy currents" as the reason. And, he is quite correct. Anytime you have metal, in close proximity to a magnetic field, and you generate a current through that magnetic field, you induce a voltage, and thus a current, on that nearby metal. The amount of voltage, and subsequent current, that you induce into something like a base plate, is wasted power.

Does that affect the tone of the pup? Absolutely. Is it bad? Thats a grey area. Its part of the "character" of the pickups sound. Its like . . . which is better, old American big-block, muscle cars, or new Ferraris. Ask John Force, or Michael Schumaker, and you'll get different answers. They're both fast.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that SD's are crude American muscle, and BL's are svelt German luxo-pups. I'm just saying, to each their own. A big block goes better into a Barracuda than it does a Porsche. A flat-12 goes better into a boxer than it does a Chevelle.

I'm babbling again . . . aren't I?
    You get my point . . . I think. They're all good - in the right application.
    Well put Artie!!!!! Right on the $$$$$$ Also!!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by theodie
    I ORDER YOU TO GET THEM!!!!
    Uh. OK, can Bill charge you instead?

I`m goin for it, first only the bridge pickup, then I`ll see where it takes me.

Yeah, zebras would be great on your axe, a killer. Too bad I`m aiming for black covered, in other way I would offer you to buy yours

ArtieToo: I dig it, thanks for pro-motorizing pickups