Thread: difference between Epi & Gibson?

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default difference between Epi & Gibson?

hi guys, besides country of manufacture, what is the difference between gibson lp, and epiphone lp....
    Gibson lp, around $,2000, epi lp around $600
    is it the wood, pickups, ect..ect

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: difference between Epi & Gibson?

The difference I think is on all parts.

I have an Epi, so I don't critisize them, but on a 2000 dollar Gibson everything is better: nut, pickups, wood, finish, tuners, potmeters.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

just plain "materials".

Gibson = More carefully selected wood in general, ebony fretboards where traditionally used (LP Custom), better hardware and Pickups for the most part. Gibson does Nitro Finishes while Epi does Poly for the most part.....

Is it worth the difference? Thatīs a decision only you can make. But I can tell you that the Gibson will hold itīs value much better than the Epi, and some day actually begin to appreciate in value
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection isn't good enough.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I fully agree with the two people above!
    Guitars:
    -Ibanez RG620QM with PAF Pro(n)/Dimebucker(b).
    -Ibanez RG550 with Swineshead Condor(n)/Fast Track 1(m)/Steve's Special(b).
    -Ibanez RG450LTD with EVO(n)/ISCV2(m)/EVO2(b)
    -Ibanez RG08LTD with PAF Joe(n)/Steve's Special(b)

"You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

is it true that in epi lp they use ply woods but in gibson lp its a massive block?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by pac112
    is it true that in epi lp they use ply woods but in gibson lp its a massive block?
    Depends on the model, but yes, I HAVE seen plywood Epiphones before. But, to their defense, this was pre 2k, they may have changed that by now

What is more common is for an Epi to have a 3,4,5,6,7,8... piece body, but thatīs not plywood. Plywood = Sperrholz / Schichtholz / MDF-Platte

Gibsonīs bodies are usually one solid piece (explorers often have 2 or 3 piece bodies), that is true. īcept the 2 piece bookmatched maple caps, of course.
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection isn't good enough.

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zerberus
    Depends on the model, but yes, I HAVE seen plywood Epiphones before. But, to their defense, this was pre 2k, they may have changed that by now

What is more common is for an Epi to have a 3,4,5,6,7,8... piece body, but thatīs not plywood. Plywood = Sperrholz / Schichtholz / MDF-Platte

Gibsonīs bodies are usually one solid piece (explorers often have 2 or 3 piece bodies), that is true. īcept the 2 piece bookmatched maple caps, of course.
    do you know exactally which models of epi"s are plywood, and how much peices are the les paul standards?

Old Ghost

Smile Re: difference between Epi & Gibson?

Yes, that's true about Epiphone using Plywood but that was years ago. Nowadays they use the same type of wood that Gibson uses but the lower grade types like mahogany and maple. Or an altenative that is really close to the two types mentioned. Poplar is very common on Epi's. Sometimes instead of Maple they use Veneer on the tops of the LP's. A cheaper way to go than real Maple. The quality of the Epi's nowadays are truly outstanding. I've never owned any ( I own Gibson LP's ) but i've seen them thru the years and the quality gets better and better. If you don't have the money to get a Gibson, the Epi is the closest thing you can ever get with more bang for your buck. They are good guitars and i wish they would have made them the way they make 'em today when i was younger. Also, a Great set of Pickups ( Duncans of course ) , good set of strings, cables and a good Amp make a great sounding guitar. Of course, the rest of the Greatness will come from your fingers. Remember Jimmy Page playing a cheap Danelectro from Sears? That sound became a legend . Now don't tell me that Dano was a great guitar

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

2 piece neck, alder tops(on certain models) multiple piece mohogany, pickups, tuners, pots, hardware, and not as good craftsmenship

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zerberus

I had a 2002 model Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus (not the elitist).
    - It had a photoflame (fake flametop picture ontop (but looked killer, and no-one knew the difference) ). Honestly who gives a sh*t if there is 1/4" of maple there or not. Only you know.
    - It had a 3 piece mahogany Body.
    - Rosewood Fretboard.
    - Tuners that went out after every song.
    - Pups that were mud.
    - Pots which crackled after 2 months.
    - Input Jack which was a POS.
    - The neck was awesome after a fret job.

So All I did was replace the Electronics (pickups (59/JB), caps, Pots (dimazio 500k DPDT pro pots), Jack, Pickup selector and the tuners (Grovers).
    Got a fret job done.
    - And the guitar was smokin shred machine.
    However for that money I could have just bought a used Gibson Studio.
    Last edited by Grandor; 01-28-2005 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Half way thru typing first half - my keyboard farted out, reset needed
    I played the tele-gib. 'nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyPage View Post
    Then again - she also turned out to be the spawn of Satan so..

Old Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by Grandor
    Honestly who gives a sh*t if there is 1/4" of maple there or not. Only you know.
    Actually there is a reason why the Gibson LP's design use a Maple Top. This is to compliment the fat sound of the Mahogany body with the Bright sound of Maple. So, Gibson did not just put a Flame maple top just because it's pretty. It has a purpose. The combination of a mahogany body with a maple top IS THE sound of a Gibson Les Paul. Fat with a little Brightness on the top. It's called TONE WOODS. As you can see specially with Fender guitars, using different combination tone woods like Alder, Ash and Maple makes a difference. But they all look the same. There's a reason why some strat players prefer Rosewood Fretboards over Maple fretboards or the other way around. First they sound different, second they "Feel" different. The difference in sound between a fender and a Les Paul is not only because they were designed differently with different types of pickups used but the different types of tone woods that was used. When you hear Fender, Clear and Bright. When you hear Gibson, Fat and lots of sustain. If you put a Humbucker on a Fender Strat, it still would not sound like an LP.
    Last edited by Old Ghost; 01-28-2005 at 06:35 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ghost
    Actually there is a reason why the Gibson LP's design use a Maple Top. This is to compliment the fat sound of the Mahogany body with the Bright sound of Maple. So, Gibson did not just put a Flame maple top just because it's pretty. It has a purpose. The combination of a mahogany body with a maple top IS THE sound of a Gibson Les Paul. Fat with a little Brightness on the top. It's called TONE WOODS. As you can see specially with Fender guitars, using different combination tone woods like Alder, Ash and Maple makes a difference. But they all look the same. There's a reason why strat players prefer Rosewood Fretboard over Maple fretboards. First they sound different, second they "Feel" different. The difference in sound between a fender and a Les Paul is not only because they were designed differently with different types of pickups used but the different types of tone woods that was used. When you hear Fender, Clear and Bright. When you hear Gibson, Fat and lots of sustain. If you put a Humbucker on a Fender Strat, it still would not sound like an LP.
    I know. But It just seems like that little piece of wood wouldnt do too much...
    I played the tele-gib. 'nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyPage View Post
    Then again - she also turned out to be the spawn of Satan so..