Thread: Seymour Duncan Convertible 60W

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Seymour Duncan Convertible 60W

The question comes after the introduction ;-)

I got this amp in a swap deal. I have 3 other amps, good amps, but this Convertible starts to be the one I always play. Both channels are so great. I don't turn on my pedal board, maybe sometimes a reverb instead of the build-in reverb (which is great and lush), and sometimes delay. The amp it self produce lovely cleans and rock'n roll sound in channel 1. In Channel two it goes up to hard rock and can even reach some fuzz tones a la "Tall Font" Russian Muff. The amp is very versatile. I like playing in the style of Black Keys, Clark. Jr, Hendrix, SRV, Smashing Pumpkins, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Led Zeppelin... just like many other guitarists. And this amp can really do it, without any pedal and voiced like it was delivered from the factory. I'm not so good at describing amps, but it seems to range from a Mesa Mark 1'ish to a Marshall Silver Jubilee'ish sound.

I'm trying to find some more information. I believe its from the early to mid 80's. It has EL-34's into a Celestion G12T-75.

Do anyone know what the price was back then? E.g. the MRSP? I believe it was not a cheap amp, but not expensive either. Even though I read that Bonamassa who fancy the 100W version (it has an attenuator and the channels do not share the EQ) wrote, that the Convertible amps was very expensive to make, and almost bankrupted Seymour Duncan.

Cheers, and thanks for any info that you can provide :-)

I have attached two pictures of my amp plus a Convertible 100W commercial with Jeff Beck ;-) ...also a youtube with Bonamassa talking about the 100W Convertible. And then a Convertible 100W youtube from a store, because it has the same blues/rock sound as mine (...and there are no decent recordings of the 60W out there):

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0327.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	60719   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0333.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	60720   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	il_570xN.527152519_4udj.jpg 
Views:	468 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	60718  
    Last edited by gibs0n; 02-02-2015 at 03:32 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Seymour Duncan Convertible 60W

I have no idea on price but that is a sweet amp! Nice score.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Seems like no one remember this amp :-D
    They might have only been made for a short period of time then! ....in the 80's

Mojo's Minions
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have to admit that while I've been around for a LONG time (lol) and am familiar with the 100-watt version, I don't think I've ever seen a 60-watt model like yours. The 100-watt versions weren't cheap, but they weren't priced like some of boo-teek amps in today's market, either. But if you wanted ALL of the modules, you could run up a pretty stiff tab in a hurry.

Cool amp!

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Bill :-)

I can see from the attachement that they (100W and 60W)have been advertised at the same time, and probably in the mid 80's :-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-02-04 at 13.20.42.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	60746

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have made a small recording of the 60W Convertible. I do not have the best recording gear, but I did it anyway :-P