Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: 12AX7 vs 12AT7 vs 12AU7

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    48
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default 12AX7 vs 12AT7 vs 12AU7

    What's the difference between the 12AX7, 12AT7, and 12AU7 preamp tubes?
    Can they be used interchangably?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Moe's Bluesman Curly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    California
    Age
    66
    Posts
    6,989
    Likes (Given)
    124
    Likes (Received)
    68

    Default Re: 12AX7 vs 12AT7 vs 12AU7

    "music heals"
    facebook

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    48
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: 12AX7 vs 12AT7 vs 12AU7

    Has anybody tried substituting 12AT7's or 12AU7's in a modern preamp?
    How did it sound?

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Moe's Bluesman Curly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    California
    Age
    66
    Posts
    6,989
    Likes (Given)
    124
    Likes (Received)
    68

    Default Re: 12AX7 vs 12AT7 vs 12AU7

    honestly, about the only preamp substitution I liked was putting a 12AY7 in V1 of the Bassman RI.

    you have to be aware of the current draw, as well as the gain factor, but I'm no expert on that
    "music heals"
    facebook

  5. #5
    Mojo's Minions Quencho092's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,551
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    19

    Default Re: 12AX7 vs 12AT7 vs 12AU7

    would it be safe to put a lower gain tube in V1 in a fender blonde
    2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

    280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

  6. #6
    Ultimate Tone Slacker Fresh_Start's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Richmond
    Posts
    2,109
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    8

    Default Re: 12AX7 vs 12AT7 vs 12AU7

    Dumb question time - does "lower gain" mean that the tube would allow more clean headroom in the preamp stage? Or does it mean that the amp will start breaking up earlier?

    Ice Man - I know I tried a 12AT7 in one of the slots of my Blues Jr. but can't remember what it did...

    Actually here's the answer to my question and a lot of other stuff too: Bill Machrone on pre-amp tubes.

    Hope this helps.

    Chip
    Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
    Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
    Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
    SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
    SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

    "Conan! What are the best things in life?"
    "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: 12AX7 vs 12AT7 vs 12AU7

    There are many differences, but the ones that make the biggest difference are the Gain Factor and the Plate Characteristics (including the Grid Voltage Curves).

    The Gain Factors for each are as follows...

    12AX7 = 100
    12AT7 = 60
    12AY7 = 40
    12AU7 = 17

    Keep in mind that this doesn't mean you can put a 12AY7 (40) into a 12AX7 (100) socket just because it has a lower gain. First thing to consider is that the bias circuits for a given socket are designed such that the spec'd tube will operate in the center of the load line - which is based on a given socket's supply voltage and the Plate Load Resistor. If a tube other than spec'd is used, then either the top half of the signal will top out early or the bottom half of the signal will bottom out early. Ya want them to "clip" at the same time to max the level of that stage. The second reason is gain structure. If one stage drives the next with too low of a signal, then some of the dynamic range is being thrown away. In other words, you'll have to turn up the amp to get the same volume and you'll be turning up the noise floor with it.

    In summary, stick with the spec'd tubes for a given amp, or have a qualified designer (not a tech) mod it to use a different tube - even then it's a slippery slope. IMO, the older stuff (Fender, Marshall, etc) stuff is so well designed you'd be hard pressed to find a tube tech, or weekend warrior designer that can actually improve it.

    I hope this helps.

    lovechild

    www.lovechildamps.com

  8. #8
    Slam Dunk da Funk Funkfingers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    My empire of dirt
    Age
    52
    Posts
    23,869
    Likes (Given)
    1516
    Likes (Received)
    3213

    Default Re: 12AX7 vs 12AT7 vs 12AU7

    Why was this zombie thread ever in TGS?

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: 12AX7 vs 12AT7 vs 12AU7

    It shows up on Google Search, so I figured I'd answer it. Keep calm and carry on :-)

  10. #10
    Understatmentologist ginormous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paducah KY
    Posts
    14,634
    Likes (Given)
    783
    Likes (Received)
    1374

    Default Re: 12AX7 vs 12AT7 vs 12AU7

    Moving to Amp Central... finally.

    "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
    --'King' Curtis Ousley

    Visit me on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewguitar View Post
    In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

  11. #11
    Burritotoneologist GilmourD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Rutherford, NJ
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,566
    Likes (Given)
    1070
    Likes (Received)
    625

    Default Re: 12AX7 vs 12AT7 vs 12AU7

    Quote Originally Posted by Curly View Post
    honestly, about the only preamp substitution I liked was putting a 12AY7 in V1 of the Bassman RI.

    you have to be aware of the current draw, as well as the gain factor, but I'm no expert on that
    That's because that's what they originally came equipped with.



    While they are interchangeable and will function without damaging anything, you may not always like the results, and things may act funny.

    For instance, did you know you could design an amp to use a 12AU7 and it will have an actual usable output?

    EDIT Wow, just realized the date of the OP. LOL
    Need to speak to a moderator about something? Send me a PM.


  12. #12
    Ultimate Tone Member IM4Tone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    403
    Likes (Given)
    13
    Likes (Received)
    41

    Default Re: 12AX7 vs 12AT7 vs 12AU7

    Quote Originally Posted by lovechild View Post
    It shows up on Google Search, so I figured I'd answer it. Keep calm and carry on :-)
    I doubt the Ice Man has been waiting 10 years for the answer.
    Besides the answer is "none of the above", but rather 5751.......

  13. #13
    One of Jerry's Kids Securb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,571
    Likes (Given)
    2345
    Likes (Received)
    4712

    Default Re: 12AX7 vs 12AT7 vs 12AU7


  14. #14
    Mojo's Minions GuitarDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Calif
    Age
    68
    Posts
    9,449
    Likes (Given)
    238
    Likes (Received)
    574

    Default Re: 12AX7 vs 12AT7 vs 12AU7

    Quote Originally Posted by lovechild View Post
    There are many differences, but the ones that make the biggest difference are the Gain Factor and the Plate Characteristics (including the Grid Voltage Curves).

    The Gain Factors for each are as follows...

    12AX7 = 100
    12AT7 = 60
    12AY7 = 40
    12AU7 = 17

    Keep in mind that this doesn't mean you can put a 12AY7 (40) into a 12AX7 (100) socket just because it has a lower gain. First thing to consider is that the bias circuits for a given socket are designed such that the spec'd tube will operate in the center of the load line - which is based on a given socket's supply voltage and the Plate Load Resistor. If a tube other than spec'd is used, then either the top half of the signal will top out early or the bottom half of the signal will bottom out early. Ya want them to "clip" at the same time to max the level of that stage. The second reason is gain structure. If one stage drives the next with too low of a signal, then some of the dynamic range is being thrown away. In other words, you'll have to turn up the amp to get the same volume and you'll be turning up the noise floor with it.

    In summary, stick with the spec'd tubes for a given amp, or have a qualified designer (not a tech) mod it to use a different tube - even then it's a slippery slope. IMO, the older stuff (Fender, Marshall, etc) stuff is so well designed you'd be hard pressed to find a tube tech, or weekend warrior designer that can actually improve it.

    I hope this helps.

    lovechild

    www.lovechildamps.com
    Actually, the reasons you state for not changing the tubes are the very reasons you DO change them. To get those specific results.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

  15. #15
    Mojo's Minions GuitarDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Calif
    Age
    68
    Posts
    9,449
    Likes (Given)
    238
    Likes (Received)
    574

    Default Re: 12AX7 vs 12AT7 vs 12AU7

    Quote Originally Posted by IM4Tone View Post
    I doubt the Ice Man has been waiting 10 years for the answer.
    Besides the answer is "none of the above", but rather 5751.......
    For some purposes the 5751 is a great preamp tube. I've been using them in one position or another ever since I've been using tube amps.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •