Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Epi JOE B Firebird...

Professional Scapegoat BloodRose's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Epi JOE B Firebird...

yeah, ticket prices amaze me. my first concert was $9.95. John Cougar (American Fool tour) and Huey Lewis and the news before they got big on MTV.. My second concert was about the same and was Gary Moore, Krokus and Def Lep (pyromania tour). Then I paid $19.95 for an outdoor festival in Kalamazoo Mich. Was: Ratt, Accept, night Ranger, Crue, quiet riot, ozzy and triumph. Prices have been climbing since...

But, it used to be that bands toured to promote selling records.. With all the digital stuff, touring has to be the money maker...
    Last edited by BloodRose; 09-29-2016 at 06:02 PM.
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is actually a neck thru design not a set neck which most of the other knockoffs are.

799 burst, 899 Goldmist

I kind of want one the more I think about it

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A friend and I saw Buckethead back in May for $70 total.....

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No thanks, I'll search CL for mint used Gibsons for the same price, like an Elliot Easton Tikibird for $1400.
    Name:  2014GuitarAmpPedal063_zps5b5c9461.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  48.1 KB
    Name:  2014GuitarAmpPedal103_zpsc7c095b1.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  38.0 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by ratherdashing View Post
    Do you think before you post, or do you just mash the keys and hope for the best?
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ318 View Post
    Half of you are half right.
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ318 View Post
    The other half of you are half wrong.

I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Joe B has more pieces of sig gear than he has fans. WTF???

Seriously - he has more crap than Eddie, Vai, and Clapton put together - and isn't half as good or famous as any of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rik Emmett
    Nothing in my pockets and I've nothing up my sleeve. I keep my magic in my heart.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah that does seem to be the case but he does do some cool stuff so?

Can't say I am a fan but I've grown to appreciate him a bit since BCC. Cat can play but maybe the self-promotion machine gets a bit much.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

people dont make money selling records anymore so this is one way to do it. anything he puts his name on that ive tried has been at least a decent, if not great, piece of gear. he isnt my favorite player but i dont fault him for makin a buck while he can

I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

He can't be making that much money on gear....

Do you know anyone who actually owns Joe B sig stuff??? I don't...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rik Emmett
    Nothing in my pockets and I've nothing up my sleeve. I keep my magic in my heart.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    He can't be making that much money on gear....

Do you know anyone who actually owns Joe B sig stuff??? I don't...
    Now you do

I scored a polymist JB FB today, really nice. Fairly light, minimal dive, sounds right, plays right and it is gorgeous! Got it's first gig tomorrow.

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Bowling View Post
    Firebirds look cool but the neck dive horror stories keep me from owning one.
    The neck dive is because the heavy banjo tuners. A simple hardware upgrade completely solves the problem.

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's a completely stupid price for a guitar with one pickup that you can't intonate.

That said i have a late model Gibson FB and while I love the look and the way they hang I can't recommend them. They come with godawful pickups, cheapy hardware (Nashville bridge), the nut was poorly cut, and the frets weren't level. Once I leveled the frets, replaced the nut, and put decent pickups in it sounds great and plays like a dream but it should have been that way out of the box.

I have a used Dillion Phoenix coming. I'll post a review once I have it. I'm guessing its a better answer than what Gibson is offering these days.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know I intonated mine in about 2 minutes no issue.

The hardware is fine and the pickup sounds pretty damn good but whatever. 7 beans new is fine by me.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Glad you got a good one Scott. There have been a fair # of complaints/wonky guitars posted over at MLP in the Epi forums.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wouldn't have bought one unless I got to play it first. That goes with most guitars but especially an Epi. I was a bit skeptical about them when I couldn't find any in a store. I had read a few folks returned theirs and saw some nitpicking that's why I wanted to find one in person. Got it from Ash, had them bring the action down and tweak the neck before I would even plug it in, couldn't have taken them 2 minutes. Soon as they did that it was a player. It is incredibly resonant, that is a big deal for me, I love that in a guitar. I kinda wanted to be hooked so I am sure I was easy on it but there is nothing off-putting about it if you like 'Birds and Jr's.

I'll likely get a decent nut on here in the near future, it isn't cut too badly but it is plastic and I can't see keeping it. The truss rod cover looks like the edges were cut with someones teeth on the bottom edge only lol. I sanded the edges and cleaned that up pretty quickly. You can see a few minor finish flaws if you really look. The board at the first fret was a little rough so I cleaned that up and put a little F-One on it and you'd never know. Clearly I could see a few people losing their **** over these things, I am not concerned. The side dots are too small for real stage use but that is 99% of the guitars I get my hands on, thank God for silver paint pens hehe.

The wiring was clean as could be, the guard and back cover are well cut and clean. The neck and the frets are fantastic, no hardware issues that I can find. The pickup sounds killer thru my Orange. The pegs seem a little exotic but so were the originals so?

It's nice, clean, simple and pretty catchy looking on top of playing and sounding the way I want. If it has any real drawbacks I guess I'll find out tonight.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndhandband View Post
    That said i have a late model Gibson FB and while I love the look and the way they hang I can't recommend them. They come with godawful pickups, cheapy hardware (Nashville bridge), the nut was poorly cut, and the frets weren't level. Once I leveled the frets, replaced the nut, and put decent pickups in it sounds great and plays like a dream but it should have been that way out of the box.
    I have to ask. Why did you buy that guitar then if it bothered you so much?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One of the weird things I saw was one where the control cavity plate had been routed too deep..when the owner would try to plug into the jack, the plug would bottom out on the plate and would not go in all the way, thus acoustic only There are some pics of it online.

Some other guy got the bridge/ tailpiece studs drilled off and the thing would not intonate and center over the pickup correctly.

Is the pickup a Gibson or Epi pickup?p
    Last edited by JeffB; 05-19-2017 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Clarity
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Wattage View Post
    I have to ask. Why did you buy that guitar then if it bothered you so much?
    Because I got it barely used for super-cheap.

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Got curious and took a closer look at the specs for the bonamassa guitar. I WILL give Epihpnoe some kudos for at least trying to do it right. It has a pickup that's MUCH closer to an original FB pickup than the utter garbage Gibson is using, and although the non-adjustable bridge makes no sense to me (but then neither does a guitar with only one pickup) at least it's a compensated bridge and not a straight stop tailpiece. I wouldn't buy it, but it looks like maybe a better guitar than the Gibson equivalents.

EDITED TO ADD: wait, that bridge is adjustable, isn't it? OK I am now officially impressed. I still find a guitar with only one pickup to be kinda pointless, but if you're going to have a FB I this is quite possibly THE one to get.
    Last edited by 2ndhandband; 05-19-2017 at 10:07 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i find nothing wrong with a single pup guitar. i love my esquire and id love to get an old lp jr. doesnt mean im giving up my teles or my strats though

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    i find nothing wrong with a single pup guitar. i love my esquire and id love to get an old lp jr. doesnt mean im giving up my teles or my strats though
    Naw, I HAVE to have a neck pickup. I can't stand the sound of a bridge pickup... any bridge pickup... for high-note lead playing. I suppose you could roll off the bridge tone control but that takes more time than flipping a switch.