2005 American Fender Stratocaster - D'Addario Super Light
    1998 Japanese Jackson DK2 - Hybrid Slinky
    Hughes & Kettner TubeMeister 18
    Boss GT8 | Boss PW-3 Wah

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bridge HB swap in MIJ Jackson DK2

Quote Originally Posted by BartOfDarkness View Post
    the D Sonic with the rail towards the bridge is the closest I've heard to a passive EMG 81.
    Ha! I totally forgot about the D-Sonic. The EMG 81 has a little more fullness in my experience, but for being passive, the D-Sonic does have a lot of qualities that are similar to an EMG 81, at least when driven. It's very cutting and articulate and has a pretty immediate feeling response.

I'm intrigued by Darth's suggestion of the Mojotone Level-Head, too. Haven't heard of that one before! I see "Fluff" did a review on their site...I'll have to check it out later.

Quote Originally Posted by darthphineas View Post
    I can tell you won't stop until I've picked up a set of the Evolutions.
    The Evos are sort of like the Super D in that if you haven't ever tried them, you should.

That said, I have a love-hate relationship with them. I love their immediacy, clarity and how fluid they are while maintaining this wonderful "edge", but there are times when I even wished I could pull the Evo 2 back a bit for added subtlety and that's the "tamer" version of the original Evo...ha ha!

Regardless, make sure you try the original Evo if nothing else. There's some real magic there in a very "DiMarzio" sense. While it doesn't see as much time in the limelight these days, I think it's one of "those" designs that stays surprisingly relevant even as time passes and popular music styles change.

It's worth noting that the original Evo bridge also mates very well with a PAF Pro in the neck. Most players opt for the default Evo-Evo setup, but the PAF Pro in the neck adds a lot of versatility.

Quote Originally Posted by jayylmao View Post
    I think it's between super distortions and evolution
    The Super D is great and, like I mentioned above, you should definitely try one if you never have, but I must tell you it doesn't have much in common with Metallica's sound of the past 30 years. Not that it can't be made to work for styles like Metallica, of course. It's a killer pickup...it's just not as "Metallica in a box" as a set of EMGs would be.

At this point, though, I feel I should give a shout out to the EMG "JH" Hetfield set. That's a great set of pickups: Hot and throaty with a unique 3-dimensional midrange character and yet still so "EMG" at the core...all the clarity and crunchy goodness. Of course, a good portion of James on the new album was back to the classic EMG 81/60 combo and Kirk still relies on the older pickups for much of his sound, as well.

Mojo's Minions
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bridge HB swap in MIJ Jackson DK2

Quote Originally Posted by masta' c View Post
    The Evos are sort of like the Super D in that if you haven't ever tried them, you should.

That said, I have a love-hate relationship with them. I love their immediacy, clarity and how fluid they are while maintaining this wonderful "edge", but there are times when I even wished I could pull the Evo 2 back a bit for added subtlety and that's the "tamer" version of the original Evo...ha ha!

Regardless, make sure you try the original Evo if nothing else. There's some real magic there in a very "DiMarzio" sense. While it doesn't see as much time in the limelight these days, I think it's one of "those" designs that stays surprisingly relevant even as time passes and popular music styles change.

It's worth noting that the original Evo bridge also mates very well with a PAF Pro in the neck. Most players opt for the default Evo-Evo setup, but the PAF Pro in the neck adds a lot of versatility.
    very cool to know. I'm pretty jammed up the next few months, but hope to work them into the routine.

the Level Head is worth the effort. mine have been on loan to a locally-based artist for over a year and I do need to get them back from that cat. the guys at Mojo are pretty good at getting a lot of clarity in their designs. I have total mad respect for what Fluff does, but I can say that his playing style doesn't always translate to what I'm wanting to hear... so it's been worth it to check them out for myself.