Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 81 to 90 of 90

Thread: Slotted poles vs hex poles

  1. #81
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    490
    Likes (Given)
    7
    Likes (Received)
    74

    Default Re: Slotted poles vs hex poles

    Quote Originally Posted by EDX View Post
    The mass shift changes tone as you are moving the field on x axis right under the string, the reson why polepice top part mass affects tone is the same as to why distance from top of the pole to bottom of the string affects tone, but in a slightlier way.
    Suppose one screw type makes the magnetic field below the string more diffused, so that it evenly magnetizes seven millimeters of strign width above the pickup instead of five millimeters, or changes the "aperture" by that little bit. The only known consequence of aperture width is comb filtering, so the question reduces to, what's the difference in comb filtering between five and seven millimeters? Nothing you can hear, as only very, very high frequencies are physically that narrow.

  2. #82
    Super Toneologist EDX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Guatemala
    Posts
    1,206
    Likes (Given)
    1051
    Likes (Received)
    458

    Default Re: Slotted poles vs hex poles

    Hmn filter-trons comes to mind on bigger screw head, if i remember correctly zhang from zhangbucker offers bigger head screws on some pickups and the difference is very notable

    Wanna take that to the extreme?, compare a jb with double rows of scews with a dean tyrant (jb clone with invader like hex caps)

    The difference is really "in your face", way more percissive low end and thump

    sent from my crappy junk-phone

  3. #83
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    490
    Likes (Given)
    7
    Likes (Received)
    74

    Default Re: Slotted poles vs hex poles

    If the screw is substantially larger, a couple things happens that will indeed increase bass; first the inductance goes up because you replace air core with steel core by some percentage, second you get more eddy current attenuation, and the screw head is important in that respect because it's right in between the coil and the string, where most all of the magnetic action is. But when talking about the difference between slot and hex, the difference in volume is superficial.

    I saw it mentioned in another thread that they put a series cap in the invader neck pickup in order to cut down on the low end. I'd be willing to bet that it was necessary in order to brighten up the pickup, as a result of the large screw heads causing the high end to be excessively attenuated for a decent clean tone in the neck.

  4. #84
    Mojo's Minions LtKojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Milano, Italy
    Age
    58
    Posts
    6,544
    Likes (Given)
    8
    Likes (Received)
    1064

    Default Re: Slotted poles vs hex poles

    Quote Originally Posted by thanaton View Post
    Do you have anything better to do?
    And I'm just getting started...
    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy
    https://soundcloud.com/theodore-koja...hy-bro-project
    Hy-Bro Test Sound Files

  5. #85
    Mojo's Minions LtKojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Milano, Italy
    Age
    58
    Posts
    6,544
    Likes (Given)
    8
    Likes (Received)
    1064

    Default Re: Slotted poles vs hex poles

    Quote Originally Posted by thanaton View Post
    I'll tell you what's painful, all the make believe and appeal to authority fallacy.
    You think you're the authority, so I'm going to treat you as you treat authority.

    Quote Originally Posted by thanaton View Post
    Nobody really knows how or why "more mass near the string" could or would effect the tone
    A lot of other people, much more knowledgeable than you, do. Not that it takes a lot, mind you.

    So, let get this straight right away: when you say "nobody", what you really mean is that, as YOU don't know, you just can't wrap your tiny head around even contemplating the remote possibility of somebody would. That's narcissistic personality disorder taken word-by-word directly from the manual!

    Quote Originally Posted by thanaton View Post
    This isn't trolling
    No, that's the quintessence, the very definition of trolling!

    Quote Originally Posted by thanaton View Post
    a lot of people who are ignoring good old fashioned logic, and getting upset by the fact.
    Funny you said that, as you're the only one getting upset by facts. As a matter of fact, pun intended, you get so upset that every single time you're confronted with a fact, you dismiss it by sheer denial.

    Quote Originally Posted by thanaton View Post
    Making a slight change to a magnetic field does not change the sound all by itself, there must be a reason that specific change effects the tone, and that tone must be change in some identifiable way. Nobody is addressing either of these things, they're just assuming that some change, no matter how small or inconsequential it might be, must change the sound.
    If you actually think that what you wrote here makes any sense whatsoever, then I got two words for you: THINK AGAIN!
    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy
    https://soundcloud.com/theodore-koja...hy-bro-project
    Hy-Bro Test Sound Files

  6. #86
    Mojo's Minions LtKojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Milano, Italy
    Age
    58
    Posts
    6,544
    Likes (Given)
    8
    Likes (Received)
    1064

    Default Re: Slotted poles vs hex poles

    Quote Originally Posted by thanaton View Post
    critical thinking!
    Now, this, coming from you, REALLY is funny!, No, scratch that, it's FRIGGIN' HILARIOUS!!!
    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy
    https://soundcloud.com/theodore-koja...hy-bro-project
    Hy-Bro Test Sound Files

  7. #87
    Mojo's Minions LtKojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Milano, Italy
    Age
    58
    Posts
    6,544
    Likes (Given)
    8
    Likes (Received)
    1064

    Default Re: Slotted poles vs hex poles

    Quote Originally Posted by thanaton View Post
    in the end you never knew whether it was the head shape or other properties of the screw that made the difference you believe you heard
    You realize this statement is a train wreck, with TWO locomotives and toxic waste spill to boot, don't you?
    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy
    https://soundcloud.com/theodore-koja...hy-bro-project
    Hy-Bro Test Sound Files

  8. #88
    Mojo's Minions LtKojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Milano, Italy
    Age
    58
    Posts
    6,544
    Likes (Given)
    8
    Likes (Received)
    1064

    Default Re: Slotted poles vs hex poles

    Quote Originally Posted by thanaton View Post
    what's the difference in comb filtering between five and seven millimeters?
    The same as two squirrels and a killer clown.
    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy
    https://soundcloud.com/theodore-koja...hy-bro-project
    Hy-Bro Test Sound Files

  9. #89
    Ultimate Tone Member vinnie1971's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    438
    Likes (Given)
    281
    Likes (Received)
    76

    Default Re: Slotted poles vs hex poles

    I think I just wet myself! Laughed out loud!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #90
    Administrator Mincer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tampa Bay area, Florida, USA
    Posts
    11,357
    Likes (Given)
    453
    Likes (Received)
    2292

    Default Re: Slotted poles vs hex poles

    I am going to go ahead and close this for now, as it has ceased to be helpful. I will suggest the ignore button which does wonders for blocking out ceaseless arguments.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •