Thread: Fender Mustang v - preamp failure - Fender does not stock replacement parts for Mstgs

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Fender Mustang v - preamp failure - Fender does not stock replacement parts for Mstgs

The preamp failed on my Mustang V. Verified the power amp works using my own preamp. Contacted a couple of representatives at customer support and both told me that Fender does not stock or have replacement parts for Mustang Chinese amps. No suggestions, help or advice just sort of a sorry Charlie half hearted apology.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might be able to get the amp working again?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Fender Mustang v - preamp failure - Fender does not stock replacement parts for M

That's kinda sad. How old is it?
    Juliette is back!

How dare you disagree with this opinion of mine, which my ego has ordained as fact?

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Fender Mustang v - preamp failure - Fender does not stock replacement parts for M

Quote Originally Posted by Little Pigbacon View Post
    That's kinda sad. How old is it?
    A couple of years old not sure how old.
    Sad it is - Fender S****.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If it could be done cost-effectively, your only shot might be a tech who can troubleshoot it on the component level. Fender won't do it because it's cheaper to swap it out (if it's under warranty). Or to say "tough luck" if it's not.

For what it's worth, I have an inexpensive Fender amp that's easily twenty years old and going strong.
    Juliette is back!

How dare you disagree with this opinion of mine, which my ego has ordained as fact?

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If it could be done cost-effectively, your only shot might be a tech who can troubleshoot it on the component level. Fender won't do it because it's cheaper to swap it out (if it's under warranty). Or to say "tough luck" if it's not.

For what it's worth, I have an inexpensive Fender amp that's easily twenty years old and going strong.
    I have a good old twin that's over 60 and is doing fine as well.
    Fender changed. They sell cheap Chinese crap and if it takes a dive after the warranty is gone they crap all over the customer. Leo Fender would be horrified at what has happened to his company.

And I'll bet anybody a Duncan distortion pickup for a P90 that Fender is going to release a V.3 Mustang in the next six months. And you known what, it will have some snazzy sounding upgrades but the truth will be the just spent most of there time designing it to be cheaper Chinese junk and sell it for more.

I'm going to keep the twin but the rest of my fender crap is going to eBay.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

most digital amps are disposable. its not worth the time and effort to fix them like most modern consumer electronics.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Most Chinese amps and guitars are designed from the get-go to be disposable, in other words - non-repairable. They don't care about service after the sale. Toss it, and buy something else.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How do you design a guitar to be non-repairable?
    Juliette is back!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anyone here remember Ovation's very first Applause flattops that had aluminum necks, with fretboard and frets all in one piece?
    Not only are Ovation neckjoints not repairable, but aluminum frets don't work so great, either.

ALSO: See First Act guitars for the ultimate in disposable stringed instruments.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Lewguitar's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

But the Mustang does have a Five Year warranty.

If you bought it new you might get a new amp out of it.
    "I reserve the right to change my mind about pretty much anything."

BadHairDayologist Empty Pockets's Avatar
    repeated exposure to high sound levels (more than 80 decibels)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

He's talking about the Mustang modeling amp.....................
    green globe burned black by sunn

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    He's talking about the Mustang modeling amp.....................
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTGoober View Post
    Most Chinese amps and guitars are designed from the get-go to be disposable, in other words - non-repairable. They don't care about service after the sale. Toss it, and buy something else.
    He's the one who brought up guitars.
    Juliette is back!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RogerMexiko View Post
    The preamp failed on my Mustang V. Verified the power amp works using my own preamp. Contacted a couple of representatives at customer support and both told me that Fender does not stock or have replacement parts for Mustang Chinese amps. No suggestions, help or advice just sort of a sorry Charlie half hearted apology.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might be able to get the amp working again?
    - http://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Or..._schematic.pdf -

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenVulture View Post
    thanks for the schematic but too late, Fender is giving me a SUPER CHAMP™ X2 HD as a replacement since they don't make the V anymore. Now I just need to figure out how to get another 135 watts out of the champ. But seriously, Fender really did first class Customer support on this one...ashamed I made such a fuss.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Did you call them back? How did they go from 'sorry' to 'here is a new amp'? The other thing you could do is look for a cheap, trashed amp on ebay to use for parts.

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    Did you call them back? How did they go from 'sorry' to 'here is a new amp'? The other thing you could do is look for a cheap, trashed amp on ebay to use for parts.
    As Lewguitar pointed out the amp has a 5 year warranty, this warranty is transferable. When I reiterated this point to their Customer Support Rep he unhesitatingly (with a pic of the amp SN) offered the Champ. Fender stands behind their products.
    Buying an eBay for parts amp would give me no guarantee that it did not have a faulty preamp stage as well.