Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help and advice please. Use a little 6V6 amp with ~5W - need ~50W for new gig deal

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Help and advice please. Use a little 6V6 amp with ~5W - need ~50W for new gig deal

Everything I play is built around this little amp. Have been asked by a local group to step in temporarily for member who had door closed on hand, OUCH!
    My amp doesn't work with mic into their PA for some reason vocals and guitar get mushy and out of balance. It's probably something simple but the answer eludes us.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Help and advice please. Use a little 6V6 amp with ~5W - need ~50W for new gig dea

Borrow the injured guy's amp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Help and advice please. Use a little 6V6 amp with ~5W - need ~50W for new gig dea

Quote Originally Posted by VinceT View Post
    Borrow the injured guy's amp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks but I can't get the sound I want out of his amp.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rent something you like?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You're likely practicing too loud, and your PA cannot keep up. When the SPL's get so high, things get sonically messy.

Go out to a music store, try some amps. You haven't told us what amp you are using currently, nor what kind of music you are playing...
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
    Quote Originally Posted by Securb View Post
    The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have no clue what an SPL is.
    Using a 5W Champ clone through a 12" speaker. EQ and reverb pedal.
    60s and 70s rock is what they do.
    I have tried all kinds of amps and nothing in a music store does it. I played on old deluxe reverb once and it worked but what are the chances of finding one of those.
    Maybe I'll borrow that guys amp and see if I can run a mic from my amp through it...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Try a Deluxe Reverb Reissue.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EAProwlerB View Post
    Have no clue what an SPL is.
    SPL = sound pressure level.

What trevorus is saying is that you may be approaching the problem from the wrong angle; ie the problem isn't that you're too quiet,the problem may be the rest of the band is too loud. The PA sound could be mushy for a variety of reasons. You could be playing too loud for the room, or maybe your PA is too small to properly address your needs. It's also possible that you're trying to push too much low end through the PA. EQ is your friend; it helps a lot to roll off some low end where you don't need it.
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Could be the opposite too. While a cranked amp sounds good to our ears, a smal amp such as this one might be push d too hard to keep its definition. When zero headroom is left, it might very well turn to a bit of mush and lose its clarity and definition. The problem would 't therefore be the volume itsf but the amp's dynamics at those levels... Just a thought of course, I could be wrong since I'm not in the room with you.

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Music store can get a Deluxe reissue in Monday. Give it a try, thanks.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EAProwlerB View Post
    Music store can get a Deluxe reissue in Monday. Give it a try, thanks.
    Others to try if a local store has stock...Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue (40 watts) or a Peavey Delta Blues 115 (30 watts). Both great sounding amps, especially if you can play @ higher volumes.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you're playing 60's and 70's rock, I immediately think Marshall... (Or the original Marshall, a Fender Bassman)
    Last edited by trevorus; 03-19-2017 at 05:29 PM.
    ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
    Quote Originally Posted by Securb View Post
    The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

turn amp down into the PA
    turn PA channel up
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This sounds like a sound person issue. No reason a 6v6 amp (I use one) should interfere with the vocals through a PA if it is mic'd properly and the sound is mixed well. Hire a good sound person, or just consult with an engineer to get some idea of making it work well. It helps not having your amp facing the audesn't competing with the PA. I use mine in front of me like a monitor. The PA gets the sound of the microphone.

Mojo's Minions
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And the basic minimum to use for micing a guitar amp is a Shure SM56/57. There are others...Royer makes a good ribbon mic for amps, the Shure KSM condensers, etc. But the basic SM57 is one of the most common mics used on tour and in the studio for micing guitar amp. Why? Because it sounds good: the proximity effect makes for a nice richness and it has a nice presence emphasis to help guitars cut through.

For amps, there are so many choices. My favorite amps are Mesa Boogies...and just about any of their amps will do well, though I would suggest skipping the Rectos for this style of music. Mesas hold their value pretty well if you don't want to keep a big amp forever. They are expensive, but the build-quality is tops. I have Mark III, IV, V, Maverick and DC-3 amps, and I can play any style of music with them. Sometimes...you DO get what you pay for.

Peavey is another brand I like. Their amps when found used are usually terrific bargains. Whether it's a new Vyper, an old Solo Series Bandit, or a Classic 30 or 50, they do very well.

They're never listed as the most popular Marshalls amps, but JCM 900s can often be found really cheap. I like the Dual Reverb combo models with EL34 tubes. They sound Marshall-y!

And then there's Fender, as others have mentioned. Most are great pedal platforms. I played Fenders for many years before I found my tone with Mesa. I prefer the old ones to most of the new ones...but then I AM O-L-D! LOL!

Good luck!

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Check out the Fryette Power Station. One of its many purposes is this exact predicament: providing a 50-watt 6L6 power amp to a much lower tube amp while retaining the tone of the original amp. Bad Cat also makes the Unleash, which straps a 100-watt SS power amp to whatever small tube amp you plug in.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Bill View Post
    And the basic minimum to use for micing a guitar amp is a Shure SM56/57. There are others...Royer makes a good ribbon mic for amps, the Shure KSM condensers, etc. But the basic SM57 is one of the most common mics used on tour and in the studio for micing guitar amp. Why? Because it sounds good: the proximity effect makes for a nice richness and it has a nice presence emphasis to help guitars cut through.

For amps, there are so many choices. My favorite amps are Mesa Boogies...and just about any of their amps will do well, though I would suggest skipping the Rectos for this style of music. Mesas hold their value pretty well if you don't want to keep a big amp forever. They are expensive, but the build-quality is tops. I have Mark III, IV, V, Maverick and DC-3 amps, and I can play any style of music with them. Sometimes...you DO get what you pay for.

Peavey is another brand I like. Their amps when found used are usually terrific bargains. Whether it's a new Vyper, an old Solo Series Bandit, or a Classic 30 or 50, they do very well.

They're never listed as the most popular Marshalls amps, but JCM 900s can often be found really cheap. I like the Dual Reverb combo models with EL34 tubes. They sound Marshall-y!

And then there's Fender, as others have mentioned. Most are great pedal platforms. I played Fenders for many years before I found my tone with Mesa. I prefer the old ones to most of the new ones...but then I AM O-L-D! LOL!

Good luck!

Bill
    I use a Blue Angel for the 6v6 sound...it is one loud amp (no master volume). At the volume it needs to be to break up, it could easily compete with a PA in a small club, so it always is set up in front of me, facing me, like a monitor. It is easy to get controlled feedback that way, too.

Mojo's Minions
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Love Blue Angels! Would love to have one.

I wish Mesa would make a dedicated 6V6 amp. You can use those tubes in some of their amps, like the Mark IV and the Heartbreaker, et.al.

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tried the Deluxe reissue and sounded good at full volume in the alley behind the music store. Needs 20 or 30 hours on the tubes and am sure it will sound great. Put down a deposit to hold it. Before I buy it will find a sound person to take a look at the PA set up. Man, I sure would much rather use my own amp, you all know how when you find that rig mix that works how hard it is to mess with it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hope it works out either way.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!