Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is/was the worst pedal you ever had?

Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: What is/was the worst pedal you ever had?

Hey now, some RP series sounded ok.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Having sold off most of my pedal collection, the Metal Zone is one of the few pedals I truly miss owning. Really. I don't know how to get a bad sound out of it. Sweep the Midrange Frequency knob back & forth until you hit a sweet spot - a distortion pedal that's "tuned" to your own setup. Most of us who bought the MT-2 are accustomed to hearing it through a 1x8 solid state beginner amp, but mixing it with power tube distortion through a 2x12 is the coolest sound. And never turn the distortion knob above 3.
    Turn me on, Dead Man.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by baritone View Post
    Having sold off most of my pedal collection, the Metal Zone is one of the few pedals I truly miss owning. Really. I don't know how to get a bad sound out of it. Sweep the Midrange Frequency knob back & forth until you hit a sweet spot - a distortion pedal that's "tuned" to your own setup. Most of us who bought the MT-2 are accustomed to hearing it through a 1x8 solid state beginner amp, but mixing it with power tube distortion through a 2x12 is the coolest sound. And never turn the distortion knob above 3.
    Can't live by your rules, man. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demanic
    Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarFanatic
    I am currently using Skullcandy headphones I found in the garbage.
    I did find the DS-1 in the garbage.
    I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Finally, someone with some sense and taste. Though usually I have the distortion set to about 12:00. And I always use it through the cleanest sound that I can get through a clean channel on whatever amp I'm running. Oh, and I have one of the Keeley modded ones.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I never really got to discover the joys of distortion pedals when I started out, even though did indeed start with a wimpy Peavey 1x10 SS combo. I used graphic EQ pedals to boost the fundamental sound, which I still like since I now have amps with excellent fundamental sounds. But many years later, I did start using distortion pedals through the clean channel once every blue moon, just to have a different flavor.

I think it was the original MXR Distortion + that Randy used to boost his old Marshalls. Limited but fun to play with. He must have used something far more impressive for boost by the time he was playing big concerts with Ozzy, because his live sound on Tribute was awesome.
    Last edited by MkIII Renegade; 04-21-2017 at 03:01 PM.
    Mesa/Boogie MkIII+ & MkIVb + Mark Series Stack
    Marshall JVM410H
    Charvel 650 Custom-EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
    Charvel San Dimas I Koa USA BKP + Style 1 2H - JB/'59, Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
    ESP Eclipse II EMG 81/60 + Viper Urban Camo + JH-600 SPC (2)
    Carvin DC400CA + DC127T Koa - DD/'59
    Fender Custom Yngwie Strat - Seafoam Green w/rosewood, Fender Yngwie Strat - Sonic Blue w/maple, Fender Telecaster
    Charvel 475 Deluxe + 475 Exotic PATB set
    Ibanez UV7BK, B.C. Rich Eagle - Evo2/Air Norton

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I haven't got that many pedals, but still: Behringer flanger machine.

It has a lot of knobs and exactly one good tone in it. Which is useless because of the volume drop and hiss. But I really shouldn't complain. I got it for free because my friend wanted to get rid of it.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
    DOD FX17 (?) Wah/volume (volume fine, wah was horrendous)
    Yes. I had one and it sucked so bad that only using it as a continuous controller could redeem it.
    Juliette is back!

How dare you disagree with this opinion of mine, which my ego has ordained as fact?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by czarokrates View Post
    17 posts and nobody mentioned Boss Metal Zone....

What's up ?
    I think that one is the obvious.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Little Pigbacon View Post
    Yes. I had one and it sucked so bad that only using it as a continuous controller could redeem it.
    I don't know if DOD ever came out with another wah. I have no idea how that pedal made it into production.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default What is/was the worst pedal you ever had?

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    I don't know if DOD ever came out with another wah. I have no idea how that pedal made it into production.
    Sounds like a case of "me too" with the pedal production. Probably a cautionary tale for any pedal maker temped to make yet more of what's already out there. If you're going to make something, make something really useful people really need.
    Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
    I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yikes. I really have no idea what some of you guys are on about.
    I recently tried a stock MZ through my 2x12 rig and dang.

Went easy on the gain, conservative with the EQ and it did a decent Pantera impression. That's the best I could get out of it. I tweaked the crap out of it; went fully clean in the amp, went with a slightly crunchy amp and taking the gain back from the pedal, as a boost, and just about every use I could think of and it just didn't deliver for me.

IMO, it's too thin and fake in the mids to do anything I really like, the high-end is either muffled or grating, always sounding "like a pedal" and never transparent, and the bass EQ sits way too low in the frequencies, which is excellent for small SS combos but, IMO, really useless for "real" (I hate that word in this context but you know what I mean) amps.

I had a modified MZ (Diezel mod) that sat the bass at a more punchy frequency and opened up the mids a bit, while taking some fizz off. I'd give that a go if I had the chance.

I guess if I wanted to get a sound like Death or Carcass, a stock MZ could be good but I'm not into Death Metal anymore.
    Epiphone Les Paul PlusTop Pro / stock
    Epiphone ES-339 Pro / stock
    Allparts Strat / Toneriders Pure Vintage set
    Ibanez SZ320 / A2 Pro neck + JB bridge

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Blackstar ID Core 40 Head
    2x12 - V30+K100 / 1x12 - Eminence Wizard

Jet City Afterburner OD pedal / Line 6 M13 + Tons of pedals I'm not using anymore!

He Did the Monster Mash DrNewcenstein's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I confess: I had that Rocktek Distortion pedal. Also had their Chorus and Flanger. Wish I hadn't. The flimsy wasn't as bad as the not-having-tone.
    Oh well, I moved up to racks shortly after (and largely due to that), and I stuck with those for over 20 years.

Got back into pedals a few years ago when I finally got a "real" amp - Marshall JCM800 - and I don't know how you guys were/are setting your Metal Zone, but I'm pretty sure if you only had it when you didn't know what you know now, you did something wrong.

I'm nailing tons of early Metallica stuff (you know, the stuff they did way before that "Black" album) with a Metal Zone, a RAT, and even a Big Muff. You know, when they were good.

Then again, it does depend on the amp, speakers, and cabinet you're going through. Pedals do for amps what amps can't for themselves, whether it's all the work or just going a little farther. Period. If the amp already does it, and you drop a pedal that does something similar but different in front of it, you're doing it wrongly.

You don't put baseball cards in the spokes of a 10-speed, so why put a dirt pedal in front of an amp that shovels a ton of dirt by itself?

Using a Distortion-class pickup into a high-gain pedal into a high-gain amp and complaining about the noise is like peeing in the well and then complaining the water tastes like pee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown Note View Post
    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
    My Blog

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by czarokrates View Post
    17 posts and nobody mentioned Boss Metal Zone....

What's up ?
    Drop a $25 Monti Allums mod kit in those and they turn into GREAT sounding MONSTERS! Smooth dynamic articulate just fantastic sounding pedals. So many folk pawn then so they sell for nothing but mod one and it will blow your MIND how good they become!
    http://www.monteallums.com/mp3s/MT2_Sustainia.mp3
    Last edited by Ascension; 04-24-2017 at 09:36 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The bottom line for me is : if it requires a JCM800 and at least a 2x12 cab to sound good, it's not a good pedal. I have other BOSS pedals I've had since the 80s and they work in every amp I plug them into. Just sayin' .

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by beaubrummels View Post
    The bottom line for me is : if it requires a JCM800 and at least a 2x12 cab to sound good, it's not a good pedal. I have other BOSS pedals I've had since the 80s and they work in every amp I plug them into. Just sayin' .
    Exactly my thoughts.

I bet an Epi Les Paul Special II sounds great through that amp and cab too, but it doesn't make it a great guitar.
    Epiphone Les Paul PlusTop Pro / stock
    Epiphone ES-339 Pro / stock
    Allparts Strat / Toneriders Pure Vintage set
    Ibanez SZ320 / A2 Pro neck + JB bridge

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Blackstar ID Core 40 Head
    2x12 - V30+K100 / 1x12 - Eminence Wizard

Jet City Afterburner OD pedal / Line 6 M13 + Tons of pedals I'm not using anymore!

Ultimate Tone Member DeadandBuried's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Probably the Boss DS-1. The distortion was way too fuzzy, and more suited to a Nirvana tribute band lol.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

DOD Meatbox. I paid $19 for it new. Wasn't worth it. Lol. Cracks me up that they are selling for a lot of money now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by beaubrummels View Post
    Generally true. But bottom line, if it sounds good through your specific rig, it IS good. This can sometimes apply to stock pickups also. Some people simply can't imagine running stock pickups, but they aren't all bad. That could be the secret that makes you sound just a little different....
    Mesa/Boogie MkIII+ & MkIVb + Mark Series Stack
    Marshall JVM410H
    Charvel 650 Custom-EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
    Charvel San Dimas I Koa USA BKP + Style 1 2H - JB/'59, Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
    ESP Eclipse II EMG 81/60 + Viper Urban Camo + JH-600 SPC (2)
    Carvin DC400CA + DC127T Koa - DD/'59
    Fender Custom Yngwie Strat - Seafoam Green w/rosewood, Fender Yngwie Strat - Sonic Blue w/maple, Fender Telecaster
    Charvel 475 Deluxe + 475 Exotic PATB set
    Ibanez UV7BK, B.C. Rich Eagle - Evo2/Air Norton

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Little Pigbacon View Post
    I've had an RP-6, an RP-14d, an RP-50, and an RP-100, and they all sounded like dry macaroni from a 49-cent box.
    I had an RP 1 which I liked. So I got an RP 10, but the wah never worked. It was s big disappointment but I could use the expression pedal for other things.

The problem is that whatever guitar I used, they all sounded pretty much the same. That's when I decided to go all analog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1996 Fender Custom Shop Tele Jr #24 out of 25
    Modified 1980's Kramer with classic cover 59n/59b
    1991 Ibanez 540sltd with a JB in the bridge
    Warmoth VW with a Custom in the bridge
    USA Custom Guitars hollow strat with P90s
    MIJ Fender Strat (1984 - 1987)

Peavey Transtube 212 Special, Mesa Boogie 50 Caliber +
    Orange Micro Terror, Fender Pro Jr. (w/ Eminence Texas Heat)