I read a warning by Bruce Egnater not to **** with the Tweaker 15's stock tube type (6V6) and I've had EHX 6CA7 power tubes in mine for about 18 months.
I was already kinda worried because after an hour of playin it gets crazy hot, and this confirms it's just not good.
It seems anything bigger than 6V6 tubes heats it up quite a lot. And honestly, what isn't bigger than a 6V6?
Took it back to its stock EHX 6V6 tubes and now it sounds so meh it's sad. Way less headroom, sweeter, more compressed and thin. It used to bark and spit when pushing the 6CA7s, now it gently compresses up.
It went from being a small Hard Rock machine to a tame, versatile all-rounder that doesn't impress me. Some EQ in the FX loop helps, but it's still not as good as it used to be.
So, what's a small-ish amp head that could use it's place?
I'm thinking the following requisites:
- Reasonably priced. Let's say $500 tops, as a reference.
- 20 to 50 watts of tube power. I guess it could be a high wattage Solid State if it's a good one.
- I believe in big tubes so I'd rather avoid anything with EL84s inside.
- FX loop is a must and it better sound decent at low-ish volumes, so resonance/presence controls are welcome too.
- One crunchy channel is enough for me. Two isn't bad, but I don't really need it.
- I prefer a raunchy 90s Hard Rock tone. I guess that's more British than American, right? Not too scoopy.
I'll use it through my 2x12 (Celestion V30/K100), and I'm thinking Laney GH50L, Jet City JCA50H or maybe a Tweaker 40 if I come across one.
Is the Orange Crush 120 any good? I'd love a DSL50, but those are ****ing unicorns this side of the planet.
Any candidates I'm missing?