Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Motivation

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Motivation

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndhandband View Post
    It can be anything. Just break stuff down into it's smallest possible chunks. Don't try playing the whole solo... just make the first four notes sound AWESOME. And so on. Oh, and important practicing tip; can't emphasize this enough: if you are making mistakes you are practicing too fast. Period.
    I don't completely agree. You should practice the song right from the beginning and take your time with it, not to rush things. But you sometimes should push your limits as well. Guitar playing is not really a skill you build piece by piece, when you practice enough, you'll have skill to become better. But you need to push yourself to actually improve. You're not going improve your playing in any reasonable time, if you only focus on clockwork practice.

Music is artwork. Not engineering.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Ultimate Tone Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Motivation

Quote Originally Posted by Jacew View Post
    I don't completely agree. You should practice the song right from the beginning and take your time with it, not to rush things. But you sometimes should push your limits as well. Guitar playing is not really a skill you build piece by piece, when you practice enough, you'll have skill to become better. But you need to push yourself to actually improve. You're not going improve your playing in any reasonable time, if you only focus on clockwork practice.

Music is artwork. Not engineering.
    I dunno... I remember being like 15 years old and wanting to play Over the Mountain by Ozzy Osbourne. Don't know why; I kinda hate that song now! Anyway, the solo was completely beyond me but I asked myself the following question: If I spend four hours a day for two weeks playing them over and over, can I have the first four notes up to speed? I knew even then that if you're making mistakes while practicing you're practicing mistakes so I came up with what I call the metronome game. Set the metronome for a ridiculously slow tempo; one at which you can't possibly screw up. Play for five minutes. Bump up the tempo by five clicks. Repeat. When you you make your first mistake, start over. But five clicks faster than you started last time.

I achieved my deadline.