Quote Originally Posted by PFDarkside View Post
    Combo or head?
    Head and avatar cab

Super Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Speakers for a Mesa

It seems like on the used market 4x12 cabs are far more available and almost the same price as 2x12 cabs.
    Duh.

People get old, lazy, less fit, and/or married.

Downsizing comes at a premium.

PS a V30/MC90 2x12 cab is a thing of beauty. Also, if you have a 50w head or a 100-120watter that allows you to pull a pair of power tubes for half-wattage, you can wire it to allow you to use EITHER OR BOTH (just gotta use 8ohm speakers if its a Mesa amp)
    Last edited by Adieu; 06-12-2017 at 02:11 AM.

Mojo's Minions
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I apologize for the noob-ness of my preamp tube knowledge. Both you and Bill (and countless others online) recommend tuning a Mesa through tube choices. How do JJs differ from the stock Mesa branded tubes? (There are only 3 tube plants now, right?) My understanding is that V1 has the most effect on the tone, and Mesa has advised that the Cathode Follower positions (V3 and V4 on my amp) should be Chinese manufacturer to reduce the chance of intermittent drop out.

What would be the "top 3" preamp tubes to try?

For power tubes, how do you select non-Mesa branded tubes since there's is no adjustable bias?
    For power tubes, most of the reputable tube vendors will know what ranges are best for a Mesa amp. The Mesa tubes are pretty good, best warranty in the biz. Their Siemens EL34 is great. Other than Mesa, I like the Winged C/S.E.D. 6L6 and El34s and use them in several of my Mesa amps. Love the JJ EL84s, but I don't care for their big bottles in Mesa combos. Winged Cs are getting hard to find and expensive.

For preamp tubes, I like the Mesa tubes. The E-H 12AX7 is good, nicely clear and bright. The JJs will be darker; a full set of JJs in my DC-3 was too dark. Swapping in a couple of E-H tubes brought it back to life. The Tung-Sol I bought was DOA, got a noisy replacement. I really liked the Groove Tubes GT-12AX7-M "Mullard" clone, but they could be great, or not...some would be too noisy for V1. Very creamy, perfect blend between E-H and JJ. Haven't tried the current Mullard branded tubes.

The Mesa SP12AX7 is a good choice for V1 when you need high gain and low noise. I have found them very reliable and consistent.

Also, you remarked about your RK I versus the RK II. I don't know if they can, but have you ever called them to see if a RK I could be factory-modded to II specs? Might be worth a dime to call.

Good luck!

Bill
    Last edited by Boogie Bill; 06-12-2017 at 05:36 PM.
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Bill View Post
    Also, you remarked about your RK I versus the RK II. I don't know if they can, but have you ever called them to see if a RK I could be factory-modded to II specs? Might be worth a dime to call.

Good luck!

Bill
    Thanks for the tube advice.

RKII is substantially different enough from RKI that it's not moddable. It even has an additional preamp tube.

I've got super GAS for Lonestar. I'd hate to take a bath on my RK, but a Lonestar/Stilletto combo would suit my current musical taste a bit better than the Road King, I think.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Mojo's Minions
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Lonestar and Stiletto rig set was Andy Timmons rig for a number of years. Saw Andy perform at the Tacoma Guitar Show earlier this year and he was using a pair of Lonestars with his Signature Andy Timmons @ pedal; I think by JHS. GREAT player, great tone.

With all the talk about Rectos and Mark V Series amps, the Lonestar hides in the background a bit, but the Lonestar is a TERRIFIC amp.

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Bill View Post
    For power tubes, most of the reputable tube vendors will know what ranges are best for a Mesa amp. The Mesa tubes are pretty good, best warranty in the biz. Their Siemens EL34 is great. Other than Mesa, I like the Winged C/S.E.D. 6L6 and El34s and use them in several of my Mesa amps. Love the JJ EL84s, but I don't care for their big bottles in Mesa combos. Winged Cs are getting hard to find and expensive.

For preamp tubes, I like the Mesa tubes. The E-H 12AX7 is good, nicely clear and bright. The JJs will be darker; a full set of JJs in my DC-3 was too dark. Swapping in a couple of E-H tubes brought it back to life. The Tung-Sol I bought was DOA, got a noisy replacement. I really liked the Groove Tubes GT-12AX7-M "Mullard" clone, but they could be great, or not...some would be too noisy for V1. Very creamy, perfect blend between E-H and JJ. Haven't tried the current Mullard branded tubes.

The Mesa SP12AX7 is a good choice for V1 when you need high gain and low noise. I have found them very reliable and consistent.

Good luck!

Bill
    On the speakers both my rigs seem to really like the WGS Retro 30. Have a bunch of different speakers on hand from several companies but keep coming back to that speaker with both my Boogies. GREAT crunch tones in particular with that speaker in my Blackstar 1/12 and the Subway!
    Every single amp i have run a full set of JJ Preamp tubes in sounded like you threw a blanket over the amp. Just dark dull and lifeless!! The EH's are hot and clear but can be a little middy and bright. I am running a couple Tung Sols in both my Boogies in the Pres with a Sovetec LPS in the PI on both ( Subway Rocket and a .50 Cal + head). LOVED the tone of the very 1st of the reissue Mullards ( if you could find good ones!) but they all failed very quickly. The last round were just ok and the long plates have a tendency to be microphonic. On EL 84's I dropped a set of the new Mullards into my Subway rocket and REALLY like them in that amp. Gave it a good thick smooth full tone that had been lacking in the past and really woke that particular amp up.
    Agreed on the real Wing C 34's. Looking for a good current production 6L right now not really happy with what i'm seeing.
    Last edited by Ascension; 06-12-2017 at 08:51 PM.