Thread: Neck Pickup Comparison. SD CS 78/Jazz Hybrid, Sd CS Pearly Gates, Gibson 57 Classic

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Neck Pickup Comparison. SD CS 78/Jazz Hybrid, Sd CS Pearly Gates, Gibson 57 Classic

Maybe someone can help me out a bit with a better explanation of the tonal differences between these 3 pickups? I'm not that great at describing, also figured maybe the vid could help someone who's looking for a new neck pickup for a LP!

I apologize for the amateur recording, but it's better than no recording at all!
    First up is a Seymour Duncan Custom Shop 78/Jazz hybrid pickup. Screw coil from the 78 Model and slug coil from the Jazz, in a mahogany top LP Custom 57 RI w/a Doyle Coils wiring harness. It reads 8.53k.
    Next up is a Seymour Duncan Custom Shop Pearly Gates, 7.6k. It's in a LP Elegant with a vintage style wiring harness.
    Lastly is just a stock 57 Classic in a 59 RI.

I kept the pedals and settings the same for all the pickups, and used a Sputnik for the fuzz.
    I think the 57 Classic is definitely more bassy than the other pickups...The CS Pearly Gates is surprisingly aggressive and very punchy, it seems to my ears.
    I really like the 78/Jazz hybrid, though it's hard to describe...
    Any thoughts on describing the pickups would be helpful! I'm thinking of having another hybrid pickup made, and was thinking of crossing the 78 Model and the Pearly Gates, or maybe the Full Shred neck...And was thinking of going with an Alnico 5 rough cast magnet, not sure though :/

https://youtu.be/X4EI8d98Kqc

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Neck Pickup Comparison. SD CS 78/Jazz Hybrid, Sd CS Pearly Gates, Gibson 57 Class

78/Jazz sounds epic.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Neck Pickup Comparison. SD CS 78/Jazz Hybrid, Sd CS Pearly Gates, Gibson 57 Class

I think they would need to be installed successively in the same guitar for a better comparison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demanic
    Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarFanatic
    I am currently using Skullcandy headphones I found in the garbage.
    I did find the DS-1 in the garbage.
    I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.