Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40

Thread: Question about 59/custom hybrid

  1. #21
    Mojo's Minions blueman335's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    18,720
    Likes (Given)
    2494
    Likes (Received)
    1488

    Default Re: Question about 59/custom hybrid

    Quote Originally Posted by dazco View Post
    Hmmm....seems like it has the same design with differently wound coils, and they get a lot of very positive reviews. Anyone find the fread to be a good puo for what i'm looking for and for what i play, which is basically classic rock centered in 70's for the most part. I'm a singe channel amp with guitar volume as clean to OD kind of player. So i like a pretty balanced sound. The fred shows a mid bump but as long as it's not peaky it doesn't have to sound middy. Anyone use the fred and whats your take? Not into metal and really heavy stuff at all.

    It has unbalanced coils, as does the '59/Custom, so both have some high-end edge from the uncancelled single coil sound coming thru, and the mids are reduced to some degree for the same reason. For me, any bridge HB with unbalanced coils needs a warm magnet like an UOA5 or A2. If you like a bright sound, or are using a lot of distortion, the stock mags are preferable.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

  2. #22
    PenultimateTone Member Demanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Phoenix area.
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,118
    Likes (Given)
    5569
    Likes (Received)
    3337

    Default Re: Question about 59/custom hybrid

    You could always get crazy and stick a ceramic magnet in it.

    Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

  3. #23
    Super Toneologist eclecticsynergy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,118
    Likes (Given)
    817
    Likes (Received)
    587

    Default Re: Question about 59/custom hybrid

    Another simple option: replacing the filister screws under the wound strings with hex screws can sometimes tighten up the lows noticeably. Won't affect the Custom coil in this case, of course. But tightening up the 59 coil might be enough.

    If you have any pickups sitting around with hex heads in 'em, this is easy & reversible and well worth trying.
    .


    Be well. And rock on.
    "If it sounds good it is good." - Duke Ellington
    For dark is the suede that mows like... a harvest.

  4. #24
    Toneologist
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Petaluma
    Posts
    941
    Likes (Given)
    115
    Likes (Received)
    198

    Default Re: Question about 59/custom hybrid

    Quote Originally Posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
    Another simple option: replacing the filister screws under the wound strings with hex screws can sometimes tighten up the lows noticeably.
    Well...

    Quote Originally Posted by Chistopher View Post
    cut the bottom of the screw polepieces level with the baseplate.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    try cutting the screws under the wound strings.
    Quote Originally Posted by dazco View Post
    Tried the screw thing and no joy.

  5. #25
    Toneologist
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Petaluma
    Posts
    941
    Likes (Given)
    115
    Likes (Received)
    198

    Default Re: Question about 59/custom hybrid

    Anyway, as I said before: turn the pickup around so the higher-output Custom slug coil is nearest the bridge. Between that and short screws, the bass strings will be tightened, noticeably!!!

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    87
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Question about 59/custom hybrid

    Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    Anyway, as I said before: turn the pickup around so the higher-output Custom slug coil is nearest the bridge. Between that and short screws, the bass strings will be tightened, noticeably!!!
    That will hurt the middle/neck quack tho, which as it is now is awesome. I'm juast gonna live with it a while and see if i can b happy as is. I think theres a lot more good than bad and the bad isn't THAT bad really.

  7. #27
    Toneologist
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Petaluma
    Posts
    941
    Likes (Given)
    115
    Likes (Received)
    198

    Default Re: Question about 59/custom hybrid

    You mean bridge+middle quack. I doubt it will make a large difference.

    As Christopher mentioned in another thread, a partial split is going to give you the best tone which will translate in the best notch tone. If you rotate the pickup, just use a little bit more of the 59 coil to thicken it up.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    87
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Question about 59/custom hybrid

    Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    You mean bridge+middle quack. I doubt it will make a large difference.

    As Christopher mentioned in another thread, a partial split is going to give you the best tone which will translate in the best notch tone. If you rotate the pickup, just use a little bit more of the 59 coil to thicken it up.
    Yes, i did mean middle/bridge. But as i said, i'm just going to leave it for now and i;m getting together with old bandmates next saturday so i'll see how it fares in a band mix. If it excels there i'm leaving it.

  9. #29
    Gear Ho Gearjoneser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Palmdale, Ca.
    Age
    46
    Posts
    39,126
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    4435

    Default Re: Question about 59/custom hybrid

    It's the halfway point between the 59 and Custom 5. Have you used a C5 for any period of time?

    My favorite C5 is using an Unoriented roughcast or roughcast A5 magnet. The best JB was a roughcast A5 JB, so try it with a C5.
    Quote Originally Posted by ratherdashing View Post
    Do you think before you post, or do you just mash the keys and hope for the best?
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ318 View Post
    Half of you are half right.
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ318 View Post
    The other half of you are half wrong.

  10. #30
    Super Toneologist eclecticsynergy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,118
    Likes (Given)
    817
    Likes (Received)
    587

    Default Re: Question about 59/custom hybrid

    Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    Well...
    Not 100% sure, but I think hex screws may sound a bit different from shortened regular screws. More tightly focused magnetic field, I believe. And, no cutting required. Just trying to offer up a simpler option.
    .


    Be well. And rock on.
    "If it sounds good it is good." - Duke Ellington
    For dark is the suede that mows like... a harvest.

  11. #31
    Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Tacoma
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,726
    Likes (Given)
    733
    Likes (Received)
    217

    Default Re: Question about 59/custom hybrid

    Hi -
    If you just try this, very simple easy thing, your 59/Hybrid will tighten up, clean up better, "sparkle" way more,
    just turn it 180 degrees so the way stronger bobbin The Slug bobbin is nearer the saddles, it will sound so much better,
    and you will not need to fool around with clipping screws, heck you can screw the neck facing screws down to give your lower strings much more brightness and not ice pick or brash either.
    I did that to both my stage guitars at an outdoor festival and my guitars have never, ever sounded better. A few weeks ago I had one regular Hybrid and one Hybrid set 180 degrees, the 180 sounded so much better I only used that guitar for the whole show, which was also at an outdoor festival.
    So I changed the the other Hybrid so the screws were nearest the neck and now they both scream, and clean up to a nice clean low volume tone also. Jeff Beck to B.B. King.
    Steve Buffington

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    87
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Question about 59/custom hybrid

    Ok ok ! I'll try it. But if the bridge/middle loses i'm turning it around because that sound is uber important to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by SJ318 View Post
    Hi -
    If you just try this, very simple easy thing, your 59/Hybrid will tighten up, clean up better, "sparkle" way more,
    just turn it 180 degrees so the way stronger bobbin The Slug bobbin is nearer the saddles, it will sound so much better,
    and you will not need to fool around with clipping screws, heck you can screw the neck facing screws down to give your lower strings much more brightness and not ice pick or brash either.
    I did that to both my stage guitars at an outdoor festival and my guitars have never, ever sounded better. A few weeks ago I had one regular Hybrid and one Hybrid set 180 degrees, the 180 sounded so much better I only used that guitar for the whole show, which was also at an outdoor festival.
    So I changed the the other Hybrid so the screws were nearest the neck and now they both scream, and clean up to a nice clean low volume tone also. Jeff Beck to B.B. King.
    Steve Buffington

  13. #33
    Toneologist
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Petaluma
    Posts
    941
    Likes (Given)
    115
    Likes (Received)
    198

    Default Re: Question about 59/custom hybrid

    Again: partial split.

    Guys around here say use a 4k7. I'd try something bigger.

    Get yourself a 50k linear taper pot and a multimeter. Use a fixed value once you've found the sweet spot.

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    87
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Question about 59/custom hybrid

    Ahhhh, damn. I've had this thing apart so many times with this i may just use 4.7k rather than having to get in it again after i turn it around. Hows it sound if i just keep using the slug coil ? I;d sure rather do then having to open it up 2 more thime and also find the right sweet spot on the split. Any use the slug coil as the active one when split with it near the bridge? Does it still quack much?
    Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    Again: partial split.

    Guys around here say use a 4k7. I'd try something bigger.

    Get yourself a 50k linear taper pot and a multimeter. Use a fixed value once you've found the sweet spot.

  15. #35
    Toneologist
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Petaluma
    Posts
    941
    Likes (Given)
    115
    Likes (Received)
    198

    Default Re: Question about 59/custom hybrid

    What makes you think splitting to the slug coil won't quack when it's nearest the bridge?

  16. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    87
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Question about 59/custom hybrid

    Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    What makes you think splitting to the slug coil won't quack when it's nearest the bridge?
    Nothing makes me thing it won't, but the fact that quack is 100% dependent on distance of the pickups and there is an optimal relationship distance wise. Moving the coil further will lessen it. The question i have is just how much. I know with other pickups i have tried that with it sometimes killed it. But output is a big part of it and it may actually be better then a coil wound far too little like the 59 coil probaby is.

  17. #37
    Toneologist
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Petaluma
    Posts
    941
    Likes (Given)
    115
    Likes (Received)
    198

    Default Re: Question about 59/custom hybrid

    Quack is defintely not 100% dependent on distance. If it was then you'd be screwed either way since the bridge pickup on a Strat runs at an angle.

    Anyway, do what you wish. I've led you to the water. It's up to you to do the drinking.

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    87
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Question about 59/custom hybrid

    Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    Quack is defintely not 100% dependent on distance. If it was then you'd be screwed either way since the bridge pickup on a Strat runs at an angle.

    Anyway, do what you wish. I've led you to the water. It's up to you to do the drinking.
    It is in that you won't get it at all if the distance is too great. about 50 years of guitars and uncountable mods taught me a lot of things, and thats one of them. I have yet to hear a 2 pickup guitar of any kind with any pickups that gets quack in the middle. The bridge HB and middle will get it no matter which coild yu use, but the fact is the front doesn't quack as much. and if u r as anal about tone as i am it;s very obvious.

  19. #39
    Toneologist
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Petaluma
    Posts
    941
    Likes (Given)
    115
    Likes (Received)
    198

    Default Re: Question about 59/custom hybrid

    Then you got the wrong guitar then.

    Seriously man, I'm just trying to help. I'm not sure how much help we can provide if you know everything already.

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    87
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Question about 59/custom hybrid

    Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    Then you got the wrong guitar then.

    Seriously man, I'm just trying to help. I'm not sure how much help we can provide if you know everything already.
    Whatever. Anyways, sounded bad. Reverting back to the way it was tomorrow. Turned it around with slug closest to bridge, reversed phase on it and single coils, 10k trimmer set to 4.7k inline with the autosplit. Tried various settings on the trimmer. HB full on, HB split, and bridge/middle all considerably sounded worse. Can't figure out why anyone would like it like that but different strokes i guess...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •