Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Its all about the feel...of the neck...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Its all about the feel...of the neck...

The new Brad Paisley Tele has a giant neck. Like the old Jeff Beck ones. Super uncomfortable for me.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
    When I began playing years ago, I thought thin necks were best. After hearing better tone out of tons of guitars with thicker necks, I now play both. If you spend time with any neck, your hands learn how to deal with it. I don't have big hands, and I play thin Ibanez and thick Les Paul necks and like them both. Each one has pros and cons. If you choose one and reject the others, you are definitely missing out on some great guitars.
    I feel the same. I like my custom fatback warmoth but also like my thin Squiers.

Ultimate Tone Slacker
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I read ' warmoth folk don't play guitars'. Well, that made me laugh out loud. They all play and they're all passionate players. just saying.

I love 1 inch necks. It's my personal favorite, especially if it's an asymmetrical neck profile.

@Mincer: remember my guitars? Those were HUGE, but because of the profile, not hugely uncomfortable.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, I remember Orpheo! Those necks are nice!

On my guitars, I like smaller necks- I have small 12 year old girl hands. I dig a 1 5/8" nut, and smallish-shape. My main 2 guitars are Music Mans, so they feel amazing, too- just wood with some ax on them. I have ro re-sand every year and reapply the wax, but it is worth it.

Ultimate Tone Member YeRedHouseOverYonder's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Its all about the feel...of the neck...

From the Gibson guitars I've measured with slim 60s, most of them are around the .820-.823" range. The biggest being .835" and still very comfortable.

The Historics will have bigger beefy necks. My R8 has a .925" c shape neck, which is suppose to be "smaller" by R8 standards. Fits like a glove though.

I don't have any issues switching from the slim 60s to the R8. D shape necks throw me off for a little, but I adjust. I have a project going with a soft v and warmoth-ish '59 thickness; .870"~. Curious to see how it plays.

Edit: anyhow, going back to the OP, some shops measure neck thickness at the 1st/12th. You can try and ask in advance maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by YeRedHouseOverYonder; 08-15-2017 at 11:45 PM.

Ultimate Tone Member Detroitblues's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by YeRedHouseOverYonder View Post
    From the Gibson guitars I've measured with slim 60s, most of them are around the .820-.823" range. The biggest being .835" and still very comfortable.

The Historics will have bigger beefy necks. My R8 has a .925" c shape neck, which is suppose to be "smaller" by R8 standards. Fits like a glove though.

I don't have any issues switching from the slim 60s to the R8. D shape necks throw me off for a little, but I adjust. I have a project going with a soft v and warmoth-ish '59 thickness; .870"~. Curious to see how it plays.

Edit: anyhow, going back to the OP, some shops measure neck thickness at the 1st/12th. You can try and ask in advance maybe.

My current favorite neck is a Warmoth...

Modern Construction
    Roasted Maple
    Roasted Maple Fretboard
    1-5/8" Nut Width,
    Boatneck
    6105 frets
    10-16" Compound Radius
    GraphTech Black TUSQ XL - Standard Nut
    25-1/2" Scale

While their website lists the spec's as Boatneck. I found it actually be a massive V shape neck. Thick at the palm, but thinner for wrapping my thumb over the top and cradle the bottom with my fingers.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
    When I began playing years ago, I thought thin necks were best. After hearing better tone out of tons of guitars with thicker necks, I now play both. If you spend time with any neck, your hands learn how to deal with it. I don't have big hands, and I play thin Ibanez and thick Les Paul necks and like them both. Each one has pros and cons. If you choose one and reject the others, you are definitely missing out on some great guitars.

+1 on all counts. I prefer thicker necks, but have a variety of neck sizes. That keeps my hands adaptable & I don't get overly used to one size neck, and have difficulty with anything else. Like you said, you can pass up some great guitars and great deals if you insist on a certain size neck. PU maker Lindy Fralin is a big proponent of thick necks, and especially at the base where they join the guitar. He told me that he had made PU's for a PRS model years ago, and both he and Paul Reed Smith thought the guitar sounded pretty poor. After troubleshooting it for a while, they both eventually agreed that the problem wasn't the PU's, but was the neck being so small where it attached to the guitar. After hearing about that, I've developed more of an appreciation for thicker necks. 1958/59 LP's had thick necks, and there were some short players with small hands that did wonderful things with them.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Ultimate Tone Member YeRedHouseOverYonder's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

^ May have to try that one day. Sounds good haha

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitblues View Post
    My current favorite neck is a Warmoth...

Modern Construction
    Roasted Maple
    Roasted Maple Fretboard
    1-5/8" Nut Width,
    Boatneck
    6105 frets
    10-16" Compound Radius
    GraphTech Black TUSQ XL - Standard Nut
    25-1/2" Scale

While their website lists the spec's as Boatneck. I found it actually be a massive V shape neck. Thick at the palm, but thinner for wrapping my thumb over the top and cradle the bottom with my fingers.

One of my favorites as well only I much prefer giant frets. But, I'm on the same page as you. Thinner width, fatter depth is where it's at for me. I deal with neuropathic pain/numbness and those necks really lessen my issues.
    -Mike-
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucid_Lunatic View Post
    I like it when they are on the rag. I get all up in it and get it all over me. Then, when I'm done, I like to go to the grocery store and hang around the meat isle and pretend I work there.