Thread: New Boss GE-7 Already Has The Upgrades To Keep Noise Down

Stratoblaster Tone Meister STRATDELUXER97's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default New Boss GE-7 Already Has The Upgrades To Keep Noise Down

I just got my new Boss GE-7 pedal and I was looking at the chips and noticed that they are different(Upgraded) from the older GE-7s....Chances are good that Boss took care of most of the noise issues with this pedal...I may upgrade some components,but the pedal has the better performance chips in place already....The schematic I have is from an early version and the new GE-7 is alot different component wise to the old schematic..

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Fuzzy. Guitars the guy who invented fire's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New Boss GE-7 Already Has The Upgrades To Keep Noise Down

Quote Originally Posted by STRATDELUXER97
    I just got my new Boss GE-7 pedal and I was looking at the chips and noticed that they are different(Upgraded) from the older GE-7s....Chances are good that Boss took care of most of the noise issues with this pedal...I may upgrade some components,but the pedal has the better performance chips in place already....The schematic I have is from an early version and the new GE-7 is alot different component wise to the old schematic..

John

That would explain alot...I recently sold my GE-7, which was a few years old, I also recently (last week) was checking out a buddy's new rig which included a GE-7 and I thought I was crazy but his seemed to be less hissy that mine was!

Cool...thanks John!
    Proudly Klon free!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by the guy who invented fire
    That would explain alot...I recently sold my GE-7, which was a few years old, I also recently (last week) was checking out a buddy's new rig which included a GE-7 and I thought I was crazy but his seemed to be less hissy that mine was!

Cool...thanks John!
    Yep....it has better performance spec chips...I see some caps I'd like to upgrade and areas where metal film resistors would be better....I'm also going to beef up the last two bass and low mid caps and squeeze more out of those frequencies...Nothing is ever left alone once I get my hands on it....LOL..There are some eletrolytic caps that I'd like to sub for better poly caps also...Every little bit makes a difference,especially when dealing with noise..

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bump

Darkness on the edge of Tone TwilightOdyssey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting read ... I wonder if people will still seek out the older Japanese GE7's.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My BLOG, wherein I discuss music recording and the creative process.
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.
    FACEBOOK page for As Follows.

Super Toneologist
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I bought my GE-7 about 4 years ago. When I use it in the amps input it does hiss a lot. I took care of that by using it in the effects loop. I'm not sure if this is the most effective way to use it, but when it's in the loop there's no hiss at all.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TwilightOdyssey
    Interesting read ... I wonder if people will still seek out the older Japanese GE7's.
    I wouldn't?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike M.
    I bought my GE-7 about 4 years ago. When I use it in the amps input it does hiss a lot. I took care of that by using it in the effects loop. I'm not sure if this is the most effective way to use it, but when it's in the loop there's no hiss at all.
    I tweaked mine with better caps and some metal film resistors in some key places..I have my pedal within the effects loop and this is the best place for it,but my pedal is very quiet in the loop or in the input....

John

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok....Turns out I'm wrong partially about the chips...The newer ones still use the JRC022 chips...The lower noise chip needed to make it even quieter would be the TI TL072BCP.....I ordered some for my own GE-7....The other chips have been upgraded already by Boss...My pedal is very quiet already,but I'll still put the low noise/higher performing TI chips in mine...

John

theodie

John, let me know when you have figured out the keys to modding one of these. BTW, I have the guy who invented's old GE-7

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by theodie
    John, let me know when you have figured out the keys to modding one of these. BTW, I have the guy who invented's old GE-7
    I'm already there with the mods,I Just lack the quieter TI chips for mine...My pedal is great as it is,but I can't just settle on that! LOL